Sheff Wed 97/98 - Championship Manager

I played the earlier games a lot, I mean a LOT. One year I was desperate for a winger who was really quick and couldn't get one for a price I could afford. There was a keeper with a good rating for speed or whatever they called it at the time. He was lightning and stormed it. Best player I had. I decided the challenge now was to build a side where every player was a keeper and see how far I could take them. We won the Champions League. Great fun but nothing like real like. They stopped that bit of fun a couple of years later.

Yes I was that addicted.

I went cold turkey in 2013 and didn't play again until lockdown last winter. Epic offered FM 20 free so I couldn't resist.  It was like meeting an old friend, it had changed a lot but was still the same, it sucked me in very quickly. I sort of know how drug addicts must feel, they want one more fix, I want one more match.

Edited by prowl
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, elyowl1 said:

Loved that game, Guy Branston, Graham Lee and Darren Purse as my 3 first choice centre backs in 532 formation, with Richie Wellens and Dean Keates in the middle and a guy called James Flood from Stockport County upfront, world beaters the lot of them. 

Sadly was rather dissapointed with tje first 3 when the finally did turn up at Hillsborough lol

Thought Graham Lee was pretty solid for us but agree about Purse and Branston 

This was around the time I was playing Ultimate Soccer Manager instead of CM, as my neighbour gave me free copies of each one.

I used to love the added extras in that series, such as managing the catering outlets and club shop, but the best was offering bungs and taking the risk that you might be exposed and sacked from your job.

Crazy to think they put that in a game!

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Tommy Svindal Larsen, what a player

Ha exactly this.

Also sometimes Thomas graveson was available for about £95k and would always turn into an awesome player.

And there was a Brazilian midfielder I think called Da Souza who was playing for a “minor team”.  £50k and turned into the worlds best midfielder 

Loved that game 

• Like 1

I used to achieve some ridiculous things on the 97/98 game.  My greatest moment was taking Carlisle Utd from the old division 2, to premier league and champions league glory.  Remember I signed that Chilean striker Seb Rozenthal from Rangers and he scored bucket loads. Also similar with Dundee Utd and ended up with Brazilian Ronaldo and Michael Owen as the strikers.  Crazy times 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prendo's boots said:

Brucie Grobb did play a few games... I remember we got thrashed at West Ham and Blackburn away in the same week... The song in the pub afterwards that said it all was.... 

Brucie Grobb in the net

Stevie Nicol in defence

Nigel Clough scores a goal

David Pleats on the dole

Na Na Na Na Na Naaaa etc

I don't think he played any games for us. Might have been on the bench maybe.

18 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Bruce was on the bench in the game at home to Derby, where I believe Nigel Clough also played for us.

we lost 5-2,  Paolo Wanchope absolutely tore us to pieces.  Blondeau eventually gave up trying to tackle him, and just got himself a red card, he looked pleased to walk off the pitch.  Wanchope looked the worlds best striker that night.

The only game I have ever left early. Left after about 57 minutes.

It was a Wednesday night. I arrived in Roxy for the £1/pint Student Night before the final whistle went. I had my Owls shirt on, and a Derby fan came up to me to ask what the final score was. My reply was, "I dunno mate, they are still playing".

Blondeau. What a nightmare he really was.

If anyone has Twitter, some great accounts who play CM 01/02 still and doing challenges in the game.

Loved CM and Football Manager, last 4 years or so, the game doesn't have the same fun element anymore. I signed a player called Ngo Baheng who transformed my Shrewsbury Town team. Went on to score 25+ goals a season up to Championship level. In real life, he was bang average - that's the beauty of the game!

44 minutes ago, steelerian said:

The only game I have ever left early. Left after about 57 minutes.

It was a Wednesday night. I arrived in Roxy for the £1/pint Student Night before the final whistle went. I had my Owls shirt on, and a Derby fan came up to me to ask what the final score was. My reply was, "I dunno mate, they are still playing".

Blondeau. What a nightmare he really was.

I have seen some terrible fullbacks for Wednesday over the years.

Barry-Murphy, Beswetherwick, and that's just the 'B's.

But taking into account the reputation he came with, I reckon Patrick Blondeau has to be the worst ..

• Like 1

I played that game to death, it was 97/98 but the version I had Alexandersson wasn't at Wednesday at the start, but he was always one of the players I signed, turns into an £8/9 million player (£14/16 million is Ronaldo prices). 

Lucic - DC

Curtis - DC

Emmers - MC

Claudio - AM/RL

Svindal Larsen - MLC

Nevland - SC

Alexandersson

Some of the players that come to mind  that are available at the start, will sign for almost anyone, and can win the Champions League. If you're a low league team, they'll have big club release clauses. But if you never play them, after about 4/5 months they'll sign new contracts without the release clause, then you start playing them. 

6 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This was around the time I was playing Ultimate Soccer Manager instead of CM, as my neighbour gave me free copies of each one.

I used to love the added extras in that series, such as managing the catering outlets and club shop, but the best was offering bungs and taking the risk that you might be exposed and sacked from your job.

Crazy to think they put that in a game!

Is that the one where you could bribe the opposition, as well? If they accepted  it they always won anyway. Then you'd get the newspaper saying an unnamed manager has been offering bribes