Sheff Wed 97/98 - Championship Manager

7 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Taribo West on a free transfer, the greatest signing in the history of the sport.

Think that may have been a later version though?

I remember consistently signing an Italian centre half called Daniele Daino. Always turned into one of the best defenders in the world.

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Taribo West on a free transfer, the greatest signing in the history of the sport.

Think that may have been a later version though?

Yeah that's 01/02 mate, with the worlds greatest right back in Mike Duff, and Mark Kerr, the Lampard before Frank Lampard, plus everyones favourite legend, Cherno Samba.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gparrish said:

Is that the one where you could bribe the opposition, as well? If they accepted  it they always won anyway. Then you'd get the newspaper saying an unnamed manager has been offering bribes

I think you'd sometimes get away with it, but it would randomly lead to press rumours or an instant sacking!

I cant remember if it was this one or the year before, pretty sure it was this one but anyway, it was so much fun winning everything with the Owls.

I used to sign Eddie Howe from Bournmouth, he started off poo if you played him from the start of the first season, the trick was to bring him on as a sub for the last few mins each match,  In the mean time, play Atherton in Defence, He starts off a beast but tails off quickly, however EVERY single time I played the same thing would happen.

I would play Atherton, bring him off with about 10 mins left for Howe, Atherton averaged about 7.5-8 per match, after about half a season Man Utd would bid about 8 or 9 mil for him, I would sell him straight away and then Start playing Howe from the get go, who by this time had beefed up into a monster defender.

Also, Sell Carbone and Dicanio and buy Robbie Keane.

There was also a Middle eastern striker you could get for like 200k who instantly became worth 20 mil (He was poo but for some reason his value sky rocketed, he was worth buying just to sell on after a year or two).

Mark Kerr was another monster, along with Bouma in midfield, Kim Kallstrom (Remember him?) Seb Frey

I think the following year was when there was a guy called Maxim Tsigalko you could sometimes get (if you won the work permit appeal) who basically meant you were winning everything if you got him.

CM97/98 was the one I played so much back in the day. I even used to create an updated database package, which was quite popular since many had moved to the later editions.

CM01/02 is the one I play now, and I think it's considered the best there is for anyone who doesn't care for the overcomplexity of later years games. It's freely downloadable and a wonderful forum at champman0102.net contains up-to-date databases and a load of patches to fix issues and bring the rules to the current level.

In the last version of the game, I got promoted with Wednesday, Callum Paterson was top goalscorer in the championship in promotion season, andre green and Kareem harris are a mainstay in the premier league and worth 15 million plus and cameron dawson just got called up to the england squad.

Bannan also got in a strop cos I found some players to replace him and I flogged him to Dundee for 0 cos he annoyed me