Last Time We Were Top Of Any League

38 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

tell me about it. In true Wednesday style, we were 5 points ahead of Chelsea with 3 games to go and blew it. At Cardiff on the last day, news came through that Chelsea had drawn at Grimsby (I think it was) which would have meant we were champions but it was fake news and they had won

Thought it was Shrewsbury? On the pitch at the time celebrating then found out on the way back to the station they had won. 

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, BIG D said:

Anyone?

Dont think we managed it under Carlos did we? 

We dinr...all that money spunked and we wer never top for one single day...shocking..well done the mooremeister

Guest LondonOwl313
37 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Suck it up, we’re in the history books

3AC7EDBD-BCA5-4EA2-A5E7-6E8ACFEB4E5D.jpeg

That looks about 5 years old looking at the table on the right hand side.. Man City will be a lot more now, obviously our number will be unchanged.

25 days.. had a look and it was 20th August 1996 when we won 2-0 at Elland Road, the only side to win the first two games that season. Knocked off top on 14th September 1996 as we didn’t play on the Saturday.. had the chance to go back top on the Monday at Highbury but lost 4-1. Not been back since 

https://www.premierleague.com/matchweek/163/table

2 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

We were top of Prem for a bit in 19ninety summat when we beat Villa then Leeds and (Newcastle?) away and followed it with Ritchie Humphries scoring a wonder strike against Leicester.

Weirdest thing about it was there was only about 17 thou in the ground to see that cos it was on Sky and we are notorious in South Yorks for good sense with a touch of tight Waddery. 

I’m glad to say I was there to see it since Im not likely to see it again! 

It was the first six weeks wasn't it? Ah, those were the days.

After 1 or 2 games it doesn't count .

3 games minimum, that's when the league tables used to get printed pre internet.

To think in all these years , I'm 57 I've never known us be top of any league after 5 games is an unbelievable stat.

I think it's about time that changed , as a fanbase we have been absolutely starved of success and for the support we get it's criminal.

• Like 4

On 21/08/2021 at 20:21, Harrysgame said:

Thought it was Shrewsbury? On the pitch at the time celebrating then found out on the way back to the station they had won. 

We lost at Shrewsbury with a couple of games to go, a draw would (in hindsight) have been enough to win the league. Definitely celebrated on the pitch at Cardiff though 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SimonJ said:

The 83/84 season, we were top after 3 games and stayed top till the end of December…..

My favourite season watching Wednesay 15 years old and only a few away league games due to bloody school. Can't remember how I managed to afford it. Everything seemed possible then football was going well....think it helped dull the issues of mid 80s Sheffield with the lack of opportunities for us School leavers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1