Last Time We Were Top Of Any League

its where you finish that counts ,A great job so far , I was born in 61 , The last time we went up as champions was 59 . Oh this team would be special  if we did it . .Would it be the start of the momentum to push on .I would like to think so DM comes across as a great man ,Its obvious the players want to play for him .I have that Jack Charlton feeling early days but i do. The pride is back in our team ,Lets  push on  Fortress Hillsborough  ,Stay unbeaten at home all season .

On 21/08/2021 at 20:37, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Only been a couple of seasons I think. Were first after both one and two games in either 2018-19 or 2019-20.

Also top after one game when we beat Burnley on opening day around 14 years back.

Second in the league after 3 games in 2012-13.

But I'm assuming it was back in 1996-97 the last time we were top after 4 games.

think we were still top after 5, despite losing at Arsenal.

Guest LondonOwl313
48 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

think we were still top after 5, despite losing at Arsenal.

Lost 2-0 at home to Chelsea in game 5 and were still top with 12 points from 5 games, then we got knocked off top the following Saturday in game week 6.. played Arsenal away on Sky on the Monday where a win would have sent us back top after 6 games but we lost 4-1. Never went top again after that

I've got a photo of Teletext with us top of the prem. I'd been on holiday and being around 1996 I had no idea how we were doing until I got back to the UK. Used my last picture on my film to photograph the telly before sending photos off for developing.

It was the summer I started a new school down in Reading.  First and only time I've been called a glory hunter... It didn't last long.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kouki said:

I've got a photo of Teletext with us top of the prem. I'd been on holiday and being around 1996 I had no idea how we were doing until I got back to the UK. Used my last picture on my film to photograph the telly before sending photos off for developing.

It was the summer I started a new school down in Reading.  First and only time I've been called a glory hunter... It didn't last long.

Glory hunter for going to their school, must be some school........was you expelled?

On 23/08/2021 at 23:42, LondonOwl313 said:

Lost 2-0 at home to Chelsea in game 5 and were still top with 12 points from 5 games, then we got knocked off top the following Saturday in game week 6.. played Arsenal away on Sky on the Monday where a win would have sent us back top after 6 games but we lost 4-1. Never went top again after that

ah, didnt realise Arsenal was game 6.

I remember after our 5-0 win at Hartlepool, we were top of the league going to Brentford live on the cameras. 

Put in an awful performance, thoroughly deserved to lose the game 1-0. That started a run of four successive defeats 

Top of the league under Alan Irvine. Did that really happen?

On 21/08/2021 at 14:54, Watto said:

After 1 or 2 games it doesn't count .

3 games minimum, that's when the league tables used to get printed pre internet.

To think in all these years , I'm 57 I've never known us be top of any league after 5 games is an unbelievable stat.

I think it's about time that changed , as a fanbase we have been absolutely starved of success and for the support we get it's criminal.

We were top for most of the season in 83/84, threw it away at the end. Lost out to Chelsea on goal difference.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 19:37, alanharper said:

Still very early days of course but it'd be nice to see us actually win a league title even if it is only League One. Last time was in 1959, I'm still annoyed that we somehow only finished 2nd in 1984. 

We were so near to not a championship The Championship in 1961. Spurs were worthy Champions but any +&- 2 years we could have done it. My Dad saw the double championship My Grandad did too so ist das leben.

Any league? Well we were top of the teams dropping most points from winning positions in the Championship last season with 30.

This was one place higher than the previous season when the figure was 28.

Think about that, 58 points dropped from winning positions over two seasons. Scandalous. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Any league? Well we were top of the teams dropping most points from winning positions in the Championship last season with 30.

This was one place higher than the previous season when the figure was 28.

Think about that, 58 points dropped from winning positions over two seasons. Scandalous. 

That's why I stopped celebrating goals as much. Just had so many kickings after going ahead in games that it didn't seem worth getting excited about. A very strange feeling that so far isn't being repeated. I'm back to celebrating this season.