Last Time We Were Top Of Any League

We were top of Prem for a bit in 19ninety summat when we beat Villa then Leeds and (Newcastle?) away and followed it with Ritchie Humphries scoring a wonder strike against Leicester.

Weirdest thing about it was there was only about 17 thou in the ground to see that cos it was on Sky and we are notorious in South Yorks for good sense with a touch of tight Waddery. 

I’m glad to say I was there to see it since Im not likely to see it again! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yes we went top when we beat Burnley 4-1 after the first game in the championship one season.

And we went top a couple of seasons ago when we beat Reading 3-1 away, Harris scoring on his debut (legend).

But being top after a few games was probably last under Pleat in 1996. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

We were top of Prem for a bit in 19ninety summat when we beat Villa then Leeds and (Newcastle?) away and followed it with Ritchie Humphries scoring a wonder strike against Leicester.

Weirdest thing about it was there was only about 17 thou in the ground to see that cos it was on Sky and we are notorious in South Yorks for good sense with a touch of tight Waddery. 

I’m glad to say I was there to see it since Im not likely to see it again! 

My Dad was the kit man for all the time we were top of the Premier league. Then he left and it was all downhill.

I wonder what would have happened if he’d stayed…

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Still very early days of course but it'd be nice to see us actually win a league title even if it is only League One. Last time was in 1959, I'm still annoyed that we somehow only finished 2nd in 1984. 

tell me about it. In true Wednesday style, we were 5 points ahead of Chelsea with 3 games to go and blew it. At Cardiff on the last day, news came through that Chelsea had drawn at Grimsby (I think it was) which would have meant we were champions but it was fake news and they had won

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes we went top when we beat Burnley 4-1 after the first game in the championship one season.

Was that the season where Akpo Sodje looked a world-beater for a fortnight, before his legs fell off?

• Haha 3