Our season will be defined by our strikers

8 hours ago, toppOwl said:

I fully agree, I said last season that starting a season with a points deduction and the ineffectual Rhodes as the only recognised striker would lead to relegation, trying to gain promotion from a hard working league without a focal point up front will be almost impossible, I'm sure DM knows this but unfortunately its the hardest role to fill.

The ineffectual Rhodes scored every 200 minutes he was picked to play.

(Windass every 300 minutes. Paterson 400 minutes.)

Hope we can unearth an equally ineffective striker in the next 10 days.

Edited by Holmowl

8 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Paterson got 8 league goals last season in a struggling team, having spent alot of his time in midfield.

In the league below I would expect at least double that if we play him upfront.

How many strikers go from this league and then tear up the championship unless they are a special talent.

Paterson doesn't get the credit he deserves, because we play him in so many positions. But he is a player that not many players are gonna want play against this season.

I hope he stays and gets in the team every week. He is an asset in this division.

We don’t yet know if Moore is sticking with one up front. Either way, I expect Paterson will be in that role much of the early part of the season unless we find a genuine CF.

Could do worse. He’s wholehearted and finishes well.

• Like 3

Paterson got 8 league goals last season in a struggling team, having spent alot of his time in midfield.

How many strikers go from this league and then tear up the championship unless they are a special talent.

Paterson doesn't get the credit he deserves, because we play him in so many positions. But he is a player that not many players are gonna want play against this season.

I hope he stays and gets in the team every week. He is an asset in this division.

Agree - Paterson should score goals in L1 and is a little underrated by our fanbase.

• Like 6

I slated Patterson at times, but I agree with what you say here. He'll be a threat at this level, and I reckon him and Windass (assuming he stays all season) will get 30 between them.  To be promotion contenders we probably need at least double that, with a very solid defence, so I suppose where the rest are going to come from is the next question?

As glad as I am to see him go, in some ways it's a shame we couldn't keep Reach for another year, as he could have easily slotted another 10 or so for us.

I don't know enough about the new lads who have come in to be honest, but struggle to see another 30 goals in the current set up. But it's hard, as we haven' seen them perform against league 1 opponents yet.

Fingers crossed we can loan at least one more striker, and maybe a CB for cover too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good post. I made a similar comment the other day. I would expect Paterson to get 12-15 in league 1

Warnock believes Wing could get 10-15 goals.

We do need more options, but I’d rather wait an extra couple of weeks to get the right player than rush and get anyone ( which I’m sure DM won’t do)

• Like 1

It looks pretty bleak at the moment but given the ‘success’ of last week, it shows moore is certainly capable of attracting players that would be very good additions to any squad in the championship. I’m more confident now than before that we will be able to get some names in, even if it’s after a few games.

• Like 1

I think the key is keeping everyone fit.

A back 4 of Hunt Iorfa Hutchinson Palmer, i dont think will give much away.

Add in a midfield of Luongo Bannan with Wing behind a striker and I dont think there going to get outplayed by other midfields in this division.

Widnass is a massive blow, think he could have got 20 this season. Get someone who can put the ball in the net and I think we'll have a chance.

I dont think we will give many goals away.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim said:

As has already been said bringing in the proven striker/s that we require is going to be nigh on impossible while we continue to be under the watchful

eye of the EFL. I don’t really know how we’re going to solve this problem. I’m not convinced with either Windass or Paterson TBH. We maybe get a few goals from Shodipo and Green. Wing might do well plus I expect Iorfa and Dunkley to score their fair share this season.

Id expect windass, Paterson, shodipo and wing to all get into double figures this year (approx 50 goals between those 4 is not unrealistic)

Others will pop up with the odd goal.

Yes need another striker, especially a target man to link everything up, but we're not all that fat off with quality we do have at the back

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

There’s not may teams in this division with a top quality striker

True, but plenty with at least one, which which is one more than we've got.

We can't pretend that Paterson is, because he isn't, also hardly played in pre season and anonymous when he has. 

I'd back our defence and midfield against any in the league and think we now have a decent GK. Still time to recruit some strikers, not long, but time.

Who we do or don't recruit will be the difference between lower mid table and top 6. Teams simply don't compete for promotion without scoring goals.

Guest Grandad

How many loan players do we have?

I'd imagine the rules on quantity of loan players in a match squad may influence who we can bring in

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

The ineffectual Rhodes scored every 200 minutes he was picked to play.

(Windass every 300 minutes. Paterson 400 minutes.)

Hope we can unearth an equally ineffective striker in the next 10 days.

******** hell he is gone.

Get over it.

The guy was a monumental flop and waste of money no matter how you spin it.

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
6 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

******** hell he is gone.

Get over it.

The guy was a monumental flop and waste of money no matter how you spin it.

He was a waste of talent.

We wasted that.

Going to be very difficult, only scored a few goals pre season and with Windass out only left with Paterson. Moore knows the score and will have been trying to bring in strikers. Nixon said its very difficult for any club at present, much in demand

Totally agree, IMO need a minimum of two and potenatially 3 centre forwards and the squad will be ready to go. Cant go into the season with no recognised number 9's. Most the teams that get out the division have a centre forward who gets around 20. We need someone to lead the line, appreciate we are running a more sustainable budget but do think we should spend a fee on the likes of Vadine Oliver or Mandron at Crewe as can see us falling away without someone to play that position effectively.