Our season will be defined by our strikers

4 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

They can make us jump through whatever hoops they want, if we want to take part in their competitions.

Look on the bright side.  Anything that prevents Chansiri from being able to make his own decisions can only be a positive.

That's a fair point, but is restraint of trade. I cannot find any regulation that prevents us from spending a fee, other than an embargo, which the EFL has confirmed hasn't been applied. 

I'm not crying like a baby because the EFL are picking on us (before @owlstalk comments 😀), just don't understand why a club with no embargo are prevented from trading the same as other clubs in the same competition. 

There may be an argument that it is associated with the suspended penalty for non payment of wages last season, but wasn't disclosed in the ruling, and why would this refer to fees if the egregious offence was wages, would assume this would be the focus of any sanction, as was disclosed.

It is good that Chansiri's recklessness is curbed, but sure Moore would like the same opportunity to build his squad, as every other manager in the league has, being able to offer fees for contracted players should they wish.

49 minutes ago, striker said:

That's a fair point, but is restraint of trade. I cannot find any regulation that prevents us from spending a fee, other than an embargo, which the EFL has confirmed hasn't been applied. 

I'm not crying like a baby because the EFL are picking on us (before @owlstalk comments 😀), just don't understand why a club with no embargo are prevented from trading the same as other clubs in the same competition. 

There may be an argument that it is associated with the suspended penalty for non payment of wages last season, but wasn't disclosed in the ruling, and why would this refer to fees if the egregious offence was wages, would assume this would be the focus of any sanction, as was disclosed.

It is good that Chansiri's recklessness is curbed, but sure Moore would like the same opportunity to build his squad, as every other manager in the league has, being able to offer fees for contracted players should they wish.

Most likely is that after discussions with EFL over wages issues we put forward and agreed to stick to a business plan for next 12 months that involved recruiting through free agency / loan market

58 minutes ago, striker said:

I think, as you've hinted, an agreement  might well have been forged with the EFL to lessen the sanction for previous misdemeanours. Seems reasonable and IMO entirely prudent from our perspective anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ruscol85 said:

They (strikers) probably are at the top of the list, but it’s like when you go to the supermarket. You meander through all the aisles picking up the day to day bits (GK, defenders, midfielders) knowing that after all the mundane stuff you will finally reach the bit you went in for in the first place… the beer aisle (strikers)  😂😂

and i think that’s how this will pan out. We’ll be waiting for Prem/ Champ teams to get sorted then go in for loans etc

We must have slipped in the aisle

Edited by Inspector Lestrade
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

Not the most gifted of players I agree, but 50 goals I reckon takes him out of the useless bracket.

Still think if he’d been here last season we would have stayed up and I’m not his biggest fan!!!! Let’s hope moore has a gem lined up but the last piece of jigsaw gona be the hardest to get 

• Like 1

Just now, Mick70 said:

Still think if he’d been here last season we would have stayed up and I’m not his biggest fan!!!! Let’s hope moore has a gem lined up but the last piece of jigsaw gona be the hardest to get 

Agree totally, he would have given everything for the cause, something that was lacking last season I think. DM's last master stroke is needed, then we can all relax and enjoy our triumphant march back up the table, maybe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, morganowl said:

We are starting the season without a single striker . A pretend 1 in paterson is all we have. 

Yes but he's a 5hithouse apparently ,dont know what this means, but folk on here seem to be impressed by it .

Reyt laugh on a night out aswell ,whats not to like !

17 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

I completely disagree with the op, we need goals from all over the park. We haven’t had a high scoring forward for years.

We haven’t your right. Which is why we have been bobbar for years.

i am slightly more optimistic that this side has goals in it as it stands. But having a top notch striker is usually the difference between going up or not. And it’s not just about goals ( before someone produces stats showing every good team that’s not had a good striker). 

If you have a really good striker it gives opposition defenders a headache and often creates space for other players to take advantage of. 

I don’t think, even in the third division) defenders will be too worried about Patterson. I hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

I completely disagree with the op, we need goals from all over the park. We haven’t had a high scoring forward for years.

Good point, would be interesting to see how many goals we have had from our midfield over last few seasons. I bet it is dire!

3 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

One goal every 4.5 games for a striker is very poor, the 50 goals stat means nothing without the number of games.

Neither does the number of games without the minutes per goal.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

One goal every 4.5 games for a striker is very poor, the 50 goals stat means nothing without the number of games.

A goal every 277 minutes isn't a bad return at all for a centre forward of Nuhiu's type.

When you factor in his 27 assists as well, he had a direct hand in a Wednesday goal every 180 minutes on average.

1701760466_HeresToMe!.png.e30f064c77ac8abfd6ad59e361abe30b.png

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

A goal every 277 minutes isn't a bad return at all for a centre forward of Nuhiu's type.

When you factor in his 27 assists as well, he had a direct hand in a Wednesday goal every 180 minutes on average.

1701760466_HeresToMe!.png.e30f064c77ac8abfd6ad59e361abe30b.png

I can't believe how much some of our fans now accept total and utter mediocrity as being "not a bad return".

I'm out.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

I can't believe how much some of our fans now accept total and utter mediocrity as being "not a bad return".

I'm out.

Pick a few of your preferred Owls strikers in the DC era and I’ll happily show you a comparison of their contribution. Takes 5 minutes. It’s often quite revealing and sometimes throws up surprise facts that contradict our opinion.

• Like 1