Our season will be defined by our strikers

Most are shopping in the domestic market now and we’re competing with lower end Champ clubs due to the limited availability 

The pool of strikers available is tiny this season

Imagine you’d see 10+ clubs looking at the obvious loans

Sam Cosgrove
Tyreese John Jules
Troy Parrott
Ellis Simms

More chance of getting a player who’s dropped out the picture and now out of contract, such as (dare I say it) Wickham or Jerome Sinclair etc

• Like 2

Think the best we can hope for is signing a young premier league player on loan hoping he’s the next Kenwyne Jones.

We can’t afford to buy a proven scorer and plus we’ve done that before in Rhodes and Winnall and look how that turned out. 

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

How many loan players do we have?

I'd imagine the rules on quantity of loan players in a match squad may influence who we can bring in

Only three I think?

Shodipo, Wing and Peacock-Farrell.

We are allowed another two.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

The ineffectual Rhodes scored every 200 minutes he was picked to play.

(Windass every 300 minutes. Paterson 400 minutes.)

Hope we can unearth an equally ineffective striker in the next 10 days.

You can quote stats for as long as you want but it had been clear for some time that for whatever reason Rhodes wasn't the answer to our centre forward problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Willie Henderson said:

I can't stop imagining what if Nuhiu was still with us, him and Paterson up front would scare the beejesus out of the rest of division 3

Can we please stop mentioning this man, he was useless.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

I think Paterson will have a huge part to play this year. Also we have been poor from set pieces over the last few seasons. Hopefully Wing will give us better delivery and the defenders can also chip in.

I’d be very surprised if there is ‘significant investment’ up top or anywhere to that matter. 

think the squad is shaping up nicely. Hunt will add an attacking option and we are going to have plenty of running in midfield which is important in this league.

also some of the younger lads will get game time. Maybe in the cup first but chance for some of them to kick on and challenge.

like the business DM is doing. Still believe we are very lucky to have him

Guest Smackavolley
4 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Can we please stop mentioning this man, he was useless.

Can we stop mentioning them both. Him and Paterson. A goal every 5 games, both of them and it ain't pretty. I think Bannan will be gone in the next 2 weeks and Windass would have too, if he had stayed fit.

Unless we get someone proven at this level we've got to use the loan market for strikers. One experienced and a youngster. I know Troy Parrott keeps getting a mention on here but I'd put a call in to Leeds and ask about Joe Gelhardt. Vokes could be a decent shout but Andy Carroll should offer to come and play for nowt with the money he's earned from the treatment table. Whoever they bring in just make sure we can send them back or rip up their contract at Christmas if it doesn't work out.

Think we're writing Paterson off. Yes he's not a technical big man but he does put himself about a bit which further down the pyramid you go becomes a bigger asset.

How many strikers have you seen do well in the championship then be utter pap in the Premier league? It will happen in the lower leagues, players will have ceilings.

Who's to say that Paterson, who still managed an average return in a terrible side in the league above, won't be one of those players who will come alive in the league below.

Yes we need reinforcements but if he stays fit I can see him getting 15 goals with some good delivery from wing etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Most are shopping in the domestic market now and we’re competing with lower end Champ clubs due to the limited availability 

The pool of strikers available is tiny this season

Imagine you’d see 10+ clubs looking at the obvious loans

Sam Cosgrove
Tyreese John Jules
Troy Parrott
Ellis Simms

More chance of getting a player who’s dropped out the picture and now out of contract, such as (dare I say it) Wickham or Jerome Sinclair etc

At this point in time in our situation Wickham and Sinclair would be good signings !!!

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We don’t yet know if Moore is sticking with one up front. Either way, I expect Paterson will be in that role much of the early part of the season unless we find a genuine CF.

Could do worse. He’s wholehearted and finishes well.

I have no issue with Paterson’s effort and endeavour. He also seems to have lost some weight and looks in decent shape.

However my issue is he isn’t very good at football and he’s never been a striker. If we can get him off the books it’s a massive plus for us.

But we need to bring in 2 strikers ASAP !! And people can’t afford to be picky by saying they have a questionable injury record…. We’re in league one can’t pay money. If Moore did bring in Wickham for example I would trust him to get him sorted before he’s pushed into playing 2 games a week and get the best from him, while also knowing he’s gonna need another striker to dovetail with him. 

I genuinely don’t understand why people think players will suddenly start scoring shed loads of goals because we got relegated. Windass and Patterson have never been prolific strikers. Windass had one good season with rangers and Patterson one good season with Cardiff. They will score around a dozen goals each next season.we need a striker that’s going to score more than that. Given the recruitment we’ve done, I honestly think with a striker that worries defenders we can be a force next year. I dont believe windass and Patterson are that player 

12 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Very rarely are teams successful without a potent strikeforce.

We lost way too many goals from our squad at the during (and at the end of) 19/20 when we lost Joao, Fletcher, Forestieri and Nuhiu. People can pick holes in the overall contribution of these players, but when they were on the pitch they had the ability to make things happen. We never came close to replacing them.

Now, with Windass out long term, we cannot rely on the likes of Paterson and Hagan to suddenly become prolific. It won't happen.

We need a striker (probably 2) but we cannot do this on a wing (no pun intended) and a prayer by signing an unproven loan player or a player that's never reached double figures 

We need to make a significant investment in our strikeforce, or our season is doomed before it starts.

No half measures - we need proven quality with a recent history of goals at this level or above,

If we don't make this investment we will be mid table at best. It really is that important.

Totally agree with you. But,  how can we sort this vital piece of the jigsaw without the tools in which to do it with effectively?

Our hands to a greater degree are tied as there can't be any transfer fees. It's therefore going to take some very clever work by Moore and his depleted coaching team to identify one/two of such a player. Lets hope that he's been on this for weeks and that he can persuade a club to loan us a decent striker due to his reputation in the game. Otherwise, all the hard work of assembling this squad is going to mean nothing if we can't put the ball in the net.

I still don't understand why the EFL can stop us spending money on fees.

As I understand L1 FFP stipulates wages must be below 60% of turnover, 75% for relegated clubs for one season. Spending on fees is not included in this.

L1 protocols monitor wage figures more closely, not necessarily retrospectively and clubs within 5% of the limit may be placed under a transfer embargo. 

It has already been confirmed that we are not under and embargo, players wages have been paid up to date and sanctions imposed for our past indiscretion. 

Under what rule can EFL impose restraint of trade to prevent a club, now complying with the rules and not under an active embargo from signing players for a fee, when said fees are excluded from the FFP rules for L1 and we have been allowed to sign players for free or on loan?

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Should have been the first thing on the shopping list, we need forwards, failed to get any last season and surprise, surprise we went down.

Get some forwards!!!!! 

They (strikers) probably are at the top of the list, but it’s like when you go to the supermarket. You meander through all the aisles picking up the day to day bits (GK, defenders, midfielders) knowing that after all the mundane stuff you will finally reach the bit you went in for in the first place… the beer aisle (strikers)  😂😂

and i think that’s how this will pan out. We’ll be waiting for Prem/ Champ teams to get sorted then go in for loans etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, striker said:

I still don't understand why the EFL can stop us spending money on fees.

As I understand L1 FFP stipulates wages must be below 60% of turnover, 75% for relegated clubs for one season. Spending on fees is not included in this.

L1 protocols monitor wage figures more closely, not necessarily retrospectively and clubs within 5% of the limit may be placed under a transfer embargo. 

It has already been confirmed that we are not under and embargo, players wages have been paid up to date and sanctions imposed for our past indiscretion. 

Under what rule can EFL impose restraint of trade to prevent a club, now complying with the rules and not under an active embargo from signing players for a fee, when said fees are excluded from the FFP rules for L1 and we have been allowed to sign players for free or on loan?

They can make us jump through whatever hoops they want, if we want to take part in their competitions.

Look on the bright side.  Anything that prevents Chansiri from being able to make his own decisions can only be a positive.