Our season will be defined by our strikers

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

Ok, lets tell Manchester City they are wasting their money pursuing Harry Kane.  :duntmatter:

Actually, they are a great example of my point. Last season they had only one player score more than 10 league goals and he had previously been more of a deep lying midfielder. Their two recognised strikers only started 29 Premier League games between them and they used a load of different options instead (Mahrez, Sterling, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Foden and Torres) . But they cantered to the title and came within one game of a treble.

Last time we had someone score 20 in a season we finished in the bottom half of League One.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Actually, they are a great example of my point. Last season they had only one player score more than 10 league goals and he had previously been more of a deep lying midfielder. Their two recognised strikers only started 29 Premier League games between them and they used a load of different options instead (Mahrez, Sterling, De Bruyne, Gundogan, Foden and Torres) . But they cantered to the title and came within one game of a treble.

Last time we had someone score 20 in a season we finished in the bottom half of League One.

I wonder why they are bothering paying so much for striker (and why the striker is worth that much) if they can manage quite easily without.

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

I wonder why they are bothering paying so much for striker (and why the striker is worth that much) if they can manage quite easily without.

You seem to be having an argument in which I'm advocating not even bothering with strikers at all. Great, but that's not what I'm doing.

City's success last season by rotating midfielders in advanced positions is not my opinion, but rather a matter of fact wouldn't you say?

9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You seem to be having an argument in which I'm advocating not even bothering with strikers at all. Great, but that's not what I'm doing.

City's success last season by rotating midfielders in advanced positions is not my opinion, but rather a matter of fact wouldn't you say?

So if it works why do any teams bother with strikers, they are sought after for their goals, hence why we ended up with a donkey that didn't score them.

6 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

So if it works why do any teams bother with strikers, they are sought after for their goals, hence why we ended up with a donkey that didn't score them.

Again, you are arguing a point I'm not making. 

And you fail to appreciate the concept of a team. Even in a heavily financially skewed Premier League, of the top 19 scorers last season only 6 of them played for teams that finished in the top six and only two of those (both at Leicester) were conventional strikers. 

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Again, you are arguing a point I'm not making. 

And you fail to appreciate the concept of a team. Even in a heavily financially skewed Premier League, of the top 19 scorers last season only 6 of them played for teams that finished in the top six and only two of those (both at Leicester) were conventional strikers. 

Your over reliant on stats for your viewpoint, they don’t tell the whole story.

Have a look how many goals Billy Sharp scored to get our bitter rivals out of L1.

We’ve signed a striker now anyway so Darren Moore obviously doesn’t agree with you either.

4 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Your over reliant on stats for your viewpoint, they don’t tell the whole story.

Have a look how many goals Billy Sharp scored to get our bitter rivals out of L1.

We’ve signed a striker now anyway so Darren Moore obviously doesn’t agree with you either.

It seems even basic skills of interpretation are beyond you, so I'll leave you to it.

You argue about the statistics of one person, I say the whole thing is contextual and open to interpretation. I even showed you how the best team in the country spread the goals around. But I'm the one "over reliant on stats"? :huh:

And quite why you keep going on about the whole thing as if I'm advocating the abolishing of the position is totally beyond me. :wacko:

4 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

It seems even basic skills of interpretation are beyond you, so I'll leave you to it.

You argue about the statistics of one person, I say the whole thing is contextual and open to interpretation. I even showed you how the best team in the country spread the goals around. But I'm the one "over reliant on stats"? :huh:

And quite why you keep going on about the whole thing as if I'm advocating the abolishing of the position is totally beyond me. :wacko:

Last word on the subject - if you think Nuihu was a good striker you haven't been watching football/SWFC for long, one of the most inept strikers thats ever pulled on the shirt, his record at other clubs speaks for itself, garbage.

• Haha 1

Don’t think we will get a ‘20’ goal man but what’s better 1 20 goal striker then loads who got 6/7 OR various who chip in with plenty ? 

Currently below is what I think realistically each player can achieve this season (providing they stay relatively injury free, and play fairly often )

windass 12-15

paterson 10-12

Kamberi 10-12 

wing 9-10

shodipo 9-10

green 6-8

Luongo 3-5

bannan 3-5

adenrian 1-2

whole of the defence 

10-12

Add all this up looking at probably 70-80 goals . That’s without a few extra players coming in

7 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Last word on the subject - if you think Nuihu was a good striker you haven't been watching football/SWFC for long, one of the most inept strikers thats ever pulled on the shirt, his record at other clubs speaks for itself, garbage.

One of the most inept strikers that's ever pulled on a shirt?

I feel sorry for you that you couldn't appreciate what he did bring because he certainly was no where near inept.

I lost count of the amount of away games he changed the direction of. I dont need you to validate that.. my 30+ years of football experience, shows me the ripple effect he was able to cause..

Not just a big dosy bloke with a name on his shirt who doesn't have great stats.. that means nothing.

He was a very good asset to have in the squad and a different option. That is absolute fact.

Was he an out and out goal getter? No he wasn't..  does he has his faults? Of course! But for Championship and League one.. he is 10000% a valid plan B or C to turn to.

But as you say I must not have been watching Wednesday that long 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benni8 said:

One of the most inept strikers that's ever pulled on a shirt?

I feel sorry for you that you couldn't appreciate what he did bring because he certainly was no where near inept.

I lost count of the amount of away games he changed the direction of. I dont need you to validate that.. my 30+ years of football experience, shows me the ripple effect he was able to cause..

Not just a big dosy bloke with a name on his shirt who doesn't have great stats.. that means nothing.

He was a very good asset to have in the squad and a different option. That is absolute fact.

Was he an out and out goal getter? No he wasn't..  does he has his faults? Of course! But for Championship and League one.. he is 10000% a valid plan B or C to turn to.

But as you say I must not have been watching Wednesday that long 🙄

“A very good asset to have in the squad” sums him up perfectly, impact sub at the very best, to be used in any other way useless.

I also witnessed many away games where his inability to score cost us points.

Wouldnt even get in a top 20 of strikers who’ve played for us.

2 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

“A very good asset to have in the squad” sums him up perfectly, impact sub at the very best, to be used in any other way useless.

I also witnessed many away games where his inability to score cost us points.

Wouldnt even get in a top 20 of strikers who’ve played for us.

Yes it does some him up perfectly.

"One of the most inept strikers thats ever pulled on the shirt" - does not.

• Like 2