Our season will be defined by our strikers

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Pick a few of your preferred Owls strikers in the DC era and I’ll happily show you a comparison of their contribution. Takes 5 minutes. It’s often quite revealing and sometimes throws up surprise facts that contradict our opinion.

I don't limit my choice of strikers to one era, the signings under DC have been mostly appalling.

30 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

One goal every 4.5 games for a striker is very poor, the 50 goals stat means nothing without the number of games.

Not just the goals. He was a good asset for us. Better player in my opinion than many give him credit for. Its a well worn argument though. Opinions differ.

23 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I can't believe how much some of our fans now accept total and utter mediocrity as being "not a bad return".

I'm out.

Fair enough. If you think that record is bad for a striker of Nuhiu's type, then we'll just agree to disagree.

As I say, I don't think it's bad at all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fair enough. If you think that record is bad for a striker of Nuhiu's type, then we'll just agree to disagree.

As I say, I don't think it's bad at all.

"Of Nuihu's type" = rubbish.

• Like 1

Just now, toppOwl said:

"Of Nuihu's type" = rubbish.

I was thinking more the physically imposing target man who's often used as a focal point, asked to bring the ball down, lay it off to teammates, link up play...that type of forward. We've not had one since Fletcher and Nuhiu left.

Nuhiu didn't score at quite the same rate as Fletcher (277 vs 223 mins per goal), but he had a direct hand in a goal at exactly the same average of every 180 minutes thanks to his better assists record.

Clearly you don't rate him, which is fine. But the reason you gave for not rating him was that he averaged a goal every 4.5 games, which isn't telling the whole story.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I was thinking more the physically imposing target man who's often used as a focal point, asked to bring the ball down, lay it off to teammates, link up play...that type of forward. We've not had one since Fletcher and Nuhiu left.

Nuhiu didn't score at quite the same rate as Fletcher (277 vs 223 mins per goal), but he had a direct hand in a goal at exactly the same average of every 180 minutes thanks to his better assists record.

Clearly you don't rate him, which is fine. But the reason you gave for not rating him was that he averaged a goal every 4.5 games, which isn't telling the whole story.

Strikers are on the field to score goals, he didn't do that anywhere near enough, he worked best as an impact sub, any manager that gave him a run of starts didn't get the required return of goals.

48 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I don't limit my choice of strikers to one era, the signings under DC have been mostly appalling.

I thought Forestieri, Hooper and Fletcher were superb Championship forwards.And that Joao had one great season.

I think Nuhiu and Rhodes were written off by many but wrongly as they were very underrated.Though I 100% agree with the clear fact that Rhodes was a monumental financial disaster.

Dont get me started on Marriott and Kachunga. I’m only recently off the medication.

I believe Windass is a good forward, but absolutely unsuited to being striker. I think Paterson is our only choice up top unless we buy/loan, and might cut it in L1. 

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

Strikers are on the field to score goals, he didn't do that anywhere near enough, he worked best as an impact sub, any manager that gave him a run of starts didn't get the required return of goals.

It's too simplistic to say that strikers are on the field just to score goals. There are countless examples of forwards who made valuable contributions to their teams without topping the goalscoring charts. Emile Heskey averaged a goal every 343 minutes in the Premier League, and yet he made more than 500 appearances at that level. His scoring rate for England was a goal every 486 minutes, and yet international managers kept using him.

Nuhiu's game wasn't just about goals, either; he contributed plenty other than that. And so, for a forward of that type, I don't think his record of a goal every 277 minutes was a bad return.

If he was a goal poacher who offered little else, then I'd agree it's a really poor return. But he wasn't.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's too simplistic to say that strikers are on the field just to score goals. There are countless examples of forwards who made valuable contributions to their teams without topping the goalscoring charts. Emile Heskey averaged a goal every 343 minutes in the Premier League, and yet he made more than 500 appearances at that level. His scoring rate for England was a goal every 486 minutes, and yet international managers kept using him.

Nuhiu's game wasn't just about goals, either; he contributed plenty other than that. And so, for a forward of that type, I don't think his record of a goal every 277 minutes was a bad return.

If he was a goal poacher who offered little else, then I'd agree it's a really poor return. But he wasn't.

That's all well and good if you have a potent striker alongside, we hadn't.

Of course we need a striker, but we need more players chipping in with goals. No good having a striker reaching double figures if other players are not contributing. Last season we had very poor goaling threats from other areas, hopefully it will be different this season.

5 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

He most certainly was the problem, he was being played as the goal getter and wasn't anywhere near good enough.

I always saw Rhodes, Winnall, Hooper, João, and to a lesser extent Forestieri, as the forwards with the biggest goal-scoring expectation on their shoulders, whereas Fletcher and Nuhiu were the target men there to hold up the ball, bring others into the game, lay it off and create chances for others, and chip in with a few goals as well.

A rate of a goal every 3 games is about right for a player of that type, really. Especially if they're chipping in with a decent number of assists, as Nuhiu did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toppOwl said:

I'd guess most of them have got one.

Really? I think not, but I suppose the only question is whether the teams likely to be vying for the top six have a reliable striker that is say better than Windass, if we keep him. We do need another, however.

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Really? I think not, but I suppose the only question is whether the teams likely to be vying for the top six have a reliable striker that is say better than Windass, if we keep him. We do need another, however.

Ipswich Town - Pigott (20+ LG1 last season), Chapman from Barnsley, Bonne from QPR

Sunderland - Grigg scored a lot of goal in league one but had injuries, Stewart from Ross County goals in Scottish first Div, as a team scored 70 goals last season but Wyke got half of them.

Portsmouth - Marquis (16 goals last season), Curtis (10 LG1 last season), Harris (9 in 53 for Pompy), Ahadme on loan from Norwich (7 in 18 EPL2 games last season) - as a team scored 65 goals last season. 

Rotherham -  Smith 10 in 44 last season in the Championship, Kayode 8 in 34 in LG2 last season, Ladapo (14 in 31 games the last time RFC were in LG1)

Lincoln - Hopper (8 in 39 LG1 last season), Dan NLundulu (10 in 26 EPL2 last season) scored 69 league goals last season

Wigan - Wyke (25 in 43 LG1 last season (31 in total all comps), Humphrys (11 in 29 LG1 last season), Keane, (11 in 32 LG1 last season)

SWFC - Windass (9 in 41 Championship games last season) we have no other recognised forwards at the club other than Paterson that sometimes plays up front.

Without a striker or two incoming top half is probably the best we can hope for, 2 match fit strikers with league one or better experience we might challenging for a play off spot. But we are needing players such as Bannan, Luongo, Green and some of the kids to step up, we also need Dunkley, Iorfa, Hutch, Luongo to stay fit. The team has had a lot of players in at the end of preseason need to click quickly not 10 games into the season.

6 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Strikers are on the field to score goals...

Surely they are on the field to help the team score goals? No one obsesses over individuals like that at the other end when it comes to keeping them out. Fixating on a talismanic goalscorer as if nothing else matters is something for teenagers.

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Surely they are on the field to help the team score goals? No one obsesses over individuals like that at the other end when it comes to keeping them out. Fixating on a talismanic goalscorer as if nothing else matters is something for teenagers.

Ok, lets tell Manchester City they are wasting their money pursuing Harry Kane.  :duntmatter: