Our season will be defined by our strikers

3 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Very rarely are teams successful without a potent strikeforce.

We lost way too many goals from our squad at the during (and at the end of) 19/20 when we lost Joao, Fletcher, Forestieri and Nuhiu. People can pick holes in the overall contribution of these players, but when they were on the pitch they had the ability to make things happen. We never came close to replacing them.

Now, with Windass out long term, we cannot rely on the likes of Paterson and Hagan to suddenly become prolific. It won't happen.

We need a striker (probably 2) but we cannot do this on a wing (no pun intended) and a prayer by signing an unproven loan player or a player that's never reached double figures 

We need to make a significant investment in our strikeforce, or our season is doomed before it starts.

No half measures - we need proven quality with a recent history of goals at this level or above,

If we don't make this investment we will be mid table at best. It really is that important.

I fully agree, I said last season that starting a season with a points deduction and the ineffectual Rhodes as the only recognised striker would lead to relegation, trying to gain promotion from a hard working league without a focal point up front will be almost impossible, I'm sure DM knows this but unfortunately its the hardest role to fill.

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree, we need a couple of strikers. That said, there is that old saying that ‘strikers win matches but defenders win titles’. A couple of decent strikers, coupled with a solid defence is better that a prolific striker with a shoddy defence. 

That aside, we’ll need better goal contributions from all over if we are to challenge at the top end. Our goals from midfielders and defenders these past few seasons has been terrible. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

So how do we get round that with the Umbongo in place?

Spot on Utah. It seems the reality of our situation still hasn’t dawned on some of our fan base. Talk of significant investment in our strike force is ridiculous whilst the club is forced to deal in free transfers and loans. 

• Like 3

The way the pre-season has gone so far I do expect us to get at least 1 player in that fans will be happy with. That’s not a guarantee it will work, but Moore definitely seems to have identified and got certain players and I’d expect our side now would look far more attractive to join than it did at the end of last season. Plus if we are looking to loan a possible gem from a Prem side, they can see the work we’ve done pre-season so far and that any player loaned to us should get decent playing time in a team aiming to play decent football in front of big crowds. I’m fairly hopeful right now. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JackSWFC said:

So you’re saying all we need is two strikers, proven at this level or above, that we can sign for no transfer fee, and reasonable at best wages?

Should be a doddle!

Not been following the embargo situation closely. It appears we've been signing players such as Wing who look good enough for this level so I'm guessing we're at least competitive on the wages front.

Whether we're under restrictions or not, th point stands - if we can't find a way to bring in the quality we need, we aren't going to challenge.

Agree.

Paterson will get his fair share if he stays, he did fairly well last season to say we were a dreadful team.

Other than that with Josh Windass out injured we have to sign someone, it wouldn't be fair on Hagan or Adedoyin to try and rely on them. We'll need the likes of Bannan, Wing and Shodipo to contribute.

Set pieces will be big as well, we've not been good enough at them for a sustain period of time since Jones/early Gray era.

• Like 1

As has already been said bringing in the proven striker/s that we require is going to be nigh on impossible while we continue to be under the watchful

eye of the EFL. I don’t really know how we’re going to solve this problem. I’m not convinced with either Windass or Paterson TBH. We maybe get a few goals from Shodipo and Green. Wing might do well plus I expect Iorfa and Dunkley to score their fair share this season.

• Like 1