Potential player walkout

2 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

And, among other things, sue the business/employer for breach of contract, outstanding wages, constructive dismissal, loss of future earnings/rest of contract.

Exactly, covid or not Dc won't have a leg to stand on if it goes to court. Its not like they're refusing to play.... 

Though they've played most of the season as if they've been on strike lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

It would be interesting to see what impact SWFC folding would have on UK football.  Whilst we are not a big club, we are a traditional club and we would be the biggest club to have gone under in England.  Would football change or would it just shrug and move on?

No one will give a monkeys I’m afraid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Siggi's Jonnson said:

Could this be another of off loading high earners without having to up on their contracts, if the players hand in their notice?

Possible. Although it seems like a very high price to pay in terms of damage to our already crushed reputation. Almost impossible to imagine any player signing a contract with this club under DC after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

Joe Crann has done a fantastic job in reporting this news here ....... Here’s the “But” ........

I have friends who live in Thailand (Pattaya Owls have over 100 members) who knew nothing of recent events other than via social media ........ Something like this would be BIG NEWS to the Bangkok Post on how a Thai National from a famous family has handled business at SWFC ......... They are rightly proud of the Thai achievements at Leicester and give them plenty of column inches, I’m sure if they knew of developments at SWFC it would be reported extensively!

The Star, or their owners must have contacts or know of a way to gain contact with the Thai media. Raising questions via the Thai media, where pride & integrity is everything, would be a sure fire way for the silence from DC to be broken!

Mate I have been in thailand for the past fifteen months. I’ve yet to meet a Thai who has heard of him. They know about Leicester because they play Man U and Liverpool but go out of the premier and they look blank. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Is it just me that wouldn't care if the majority of our remaining players walked.

Awful last season, nothing I saw convinces that it will be any different next. Let them go. Still haven't forgiven them.

Except,

The players could then take action against the club to reclaim any unpaid earnings

The EFL could take action against the club in the form of a points deduction

No player worth his salt will want to sign for a club that fails to pay its players properly. 

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Mate I have been in thailand for the past fifteen months. I’ve yet to meet a Thai who has heard of him. They know about Leicester because they play Man U and Liverpool but go out of the premier and they look blank. 

I get that pal, sorry if I wasn’t as clear as I should have been......... I was alluding more to the pride & integrity of a prominent & famous Thai family being questioned rather than SWFC itself!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

If they Havnt been payed in three months maybe that means we are in breach by failing to honour the terms of the contract allowing them to make it nil and void and become free agents. 

In any other business if the contracted employer wasn't paying you for a lenght of time, you'd just walk and look for another job. 

There seems to be an attitude amongst some fans that the players are essentially indentured servants/football slaves that can't just tear up their contract if Chansiri breaks it.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

There seems to be an attitude amongst some fans that the players are essentially indentured servants/football slaves that can't just tear up their contract if Chansiri breaks it.

it wouldn't surprise me if chansiri had changed his family viewpoint to something like this, like he did with fans and customers.

"you're not players, you're employees, and your contribution (on the pitch) doesn't  go anywhere near anything for the club, however, i'll need you to be super understanding that i'm holding onto your wages"

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

Joe Crann has done a fantastic job in reporting this news here ....... Here’s the “But” ........

I have friends who live in Thailand (Pattaya Owls have over 100 members) who knew nothing of recent events other than via social media ........ Something like this would be BIG NEWS to the Bangkok Post on how a Thai National from a famous family has handled business at SWFC ......... They are rightly proud of the Thai achievements at Leicester and give them plenty of column inches, I’m sure if they knew of developments at SWFC it would be reported extensively!

The Star, or their owners must have contacts or know of a way to gain contact with the Thai media. Raising questions via the Thai media, where pride & integrity is everything, would be a sure fire way for the silence from DC to be broken!

This is a great point

BUT

It all depends on what side of the fence you sit

Most of us can see the issues he's created, can see the damage being done, can see the problems we have and the collapsing club

But it's not sank in with many fans yet despite years now of overwhelming evidence and problems slapping them in the face

This isn't to have a go at anyone at all but more to make the point that if the Thai press were to speak to them about our chairman they'd stilil be saying he's unlucky, the players are at fault, the EFL and FFP is against us and Chansiri has put his money where his mouth is so should be supported and backed

Ultimately it's who is talking to the Thai media I guess

It's only been since Joe and Alex have condemned this chairman that the likes of Dom Howson and Alan Biggs have even acknowledged there's even a slight problem at the club

So it's totally down to who you believe if you're not part of the SWFC family

Either the fans, ex players, ex managers, current players, staff etc who can see the problems, or the fans who still think Chansiri is great and misunderstood

• Like 5

Owlstalk Shop

40 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Possible. Although it seems like a very high price to pay in terms of damage to our already crushed reputation. Almost impossible to imagine any player signing a contract with this club under DC after that.

Aye ‘cos DC (now?) gives a flying duck about the ‘reputation’ of SWFC !

Whatever motivations / ambitions / fantasies he had & peddled to an adoring (& gullible?) fan base have shifted 

I can (potentially) make millions (+ massaged ego) is now how many millions can I rescue - May still be ‘profitable given the hiving off of the ‘real estate’, 

It has always been & will continue to be a (financial) transaction that hadn’t worked out as hoped 

Dont think football fan (or popularity contest) think Sir (choke) Phillip Green or even Mike Ashley ie cold hard cash !

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is a great point

BUT

Most of us can see the issues he's created, can see the damage being done, can see the problems we have and the collapsing club

But it's not sank in with many fans yet despite years now of overwhelming evidence and problems slapping them in the face

This isn't to have a go at anyone at all but more to make the point that if the Thai press were to speak to them about our chairman they'd stilil be saying he's unlucky, the players are at fault, the EFL and FFP is against us and Chansiri has put his money where his mouth is so should be supported and backed

It's only been since Joe and Alex have condemned this chairman that the likes of Dom Howson and Alan Biggs have even acknowledged there's even a slight problem at the club

Either the fans, ex players, ex managers, current players, staff etc who can see the problems, or the fans who still think Chansiri is great and misunderstood

There's also the potential that the national Thai media may not want to 'shame' a prominent Thai business family.

I have no idea how the Thai media works but it could be that they would be reluctant to be overly derogatory, they may prefer to paint a picture that one of their own is swimming against the tide. 

Who knows. 

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Personally I'm not ever going to be labelling Thai people are noble, honorable or that they need to save face etc because I think that's very much a label thrown around and I'm not comfortable just labelling all Thai people that way

Personally I don't find anything Chansiri is doing to be noble, honourable or anything to be proud of 

Great post.

Not paying your employees isn't honourable.

Systematically detaching a  historical club from it's local community and running it into the ground is shameful.

Nothing to do with Thailand. All about one man.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

There's also the potential that the national Thai media may not want to 'shame' a prominent Thai business family.

I have no idea how the Thai media works but it could be that they would be reluctant to be overly derogatory, they may prefer to paint a picture that one of their own is swimming against the tide. 

Who knows. 

Interesting, maybe the Thai journalists don't want to get on the wrong side of the families that own TUF regarding a story about a clob half a world away that many have never heard of...... Would make sense

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Personally I'm not ever going to be labelling Thai people are noble, honorable or that they need to save face etc because I think that's very much a label thrown around and I'm not comfortable just labelling all Thai people that way

Personally I don't find anything Chansiri is doing to be noble, honourable or anything to be proud of 

NGL, all this talk about 'saving face' and 'honour' and stuff does have an irritating whiff of Orientalism about it.

If the offspring of a wealthy British businessman was ruining the club through incompetence, stupidity and pathetically transparent attempts to cheat the system, would you try and appeal to the legendary British sense of 'fair play' to get him to realise what he is doing just isn't cricket and he should bally well sort it out?

It's not really any different.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

This is a great point

BUT

Agree with all you’ve said but again I’m not making myself very clear..........

The Bangkok Post is a sister paper to the Wall Street journal & as such has a target audience of the “movers & shakers“, the decision makers, the stock market traders in Thailand who will not have the faintest clue or interest in SWFC but will deal with TUF & the name Chansiri on a daily basis!

By raising the profile & asking questions of DC’s handling of our club it may cause ripples on the Thai stock exchange, maybe even concern for investors ....... Enough for the TUF group to get involved to protect their share price and clear their name...... It could even lead to DC being replaced internally because of the damage he’s doing to the brand!

I reckon it could be worth a stab and maybe produce more dividends than a couple of hundred marching round Hillsborough Park waving banners which may make front page of The Star & get 10 seconds on Calendar!

• Like 7

Just now, casbahowl said:

Agree with all you’ve said but again I’m not making myself very clear..........

The Bangkok Post is a sister paper to the Wall Street journal & as such has a target audience of the “movers & shakers“, the decision makers, the stock market traders in Thailand who will not have the faintest clue or interest in SWFC but will deal with TUF & the name Chansiri on a daily basis!

By raising the profile & asking questions of DC’s handling of our club it may cause ripples on the Thai stock exchange, maybe even concern for investors ....... Enough for the TUF group to get involved to protect their share price and clear their name...... It could even lead to DC being replaced internally because of the damage he’s doing to the brand!

I reckon it could be worth a stab and maybe produce more dividends than a couple of hundred marching round Hillsborough Park waving banners which may make front page of The Star & get 10 seconds on Calendar!

I think you're bang on mate 

Maybe that could be achieved through a joint press release from all supporters organisations and Wednesday notable fans?

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop