pound for pound, Jordan Rhodes, the worst signing in our history?

Yes he is, easily. However I oddly don’t begrudge him. His legs went at Middlesbrough and we should have never signed him. His confidence went as we completely ruined him. Never gave anything but his all and didn’t take the club for a ride like Abdi blatantly did but yeah pound for pound by far and away the worst signing we’ve ever made and it’ll take some beating. Hopefully the next time we make a big money signing we’ll be in a position too. What makes Rhodes x10 times worse is we couldn’t afford the massive fee and it’s crippled us ever since.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, morganowl said:

purely on fee wages he has been a disaster but nowhere near the worst based on the pitch.  izzy brown prob cost us 25grand a week my god he is a fraud of a footballer , marriot season loan if we spent the loan fee elsewhere we almost certainly wont have got relegated he is the worst signing ever , abdi was another huge wages and stole possibly 35 grand a week ,the list is endless in fact its so criminal its hard to believe ,are these same fools in charge of signing players this summer if they are league 2 here we come. 

Izzy brown came to us on the back of topping the table for the most assists in the league in the previous season, and that was for luton? What the hell happened? Only assist I saw was Rotherhams 97th minute winner. 

• Haha 2

Simply no. There’s been plenty worse than him. I actually feel sorry for the way most managers didn’t play him to his strengths.

For instance we’ve had many crocks in our time who played hardly ever, Abdul, Matias to name just a couple. Those guys plus Jeffers and de Bilde are the ones who truly deserve to be remembered as expensive errors.

Rhodes is a good guy and we shouldn’t  blame him for other people’s errors.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I think you haven’t read the OP. Nobody is saying he was the worst player, but pound for pound he is undoubtedly the worst signing I have seen and I’ve been watching Wednesday since 1979

When's your eye test due? 

We've just released a defender who cost 4 million plus 20k+ a week wages who managed just over 30 appearances in 4 years and this thread has been posted 

Embarrassing 

2 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

When's your eye test due? 

We've just released a defender who cost 4 million plus 20k+ a week wages who managed just over 30 appearances in 4 years and this thread has been posted 

Embarrassing 

And Rhodes cost double that with probably double the wages

Hence the argument I'm making being pound for pound

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nickswfc said:

And Rhodes cost double that with probably double the wages

Hence the argument I'm making being pound for pound

Ah yes I remember when Rhodes was the main negotiator when Dc enquired for him at Middlesbrough 

Dc= hello Mr Gibson id like to buy jordan Rhodes off you how much would you like 

Gibson =erm ill have to get back to you, Mr Rhodes sets his own transfer cost 

Rhodes didn't pay the money to come here 

He took the pay cut to come here 

He still gave his all, even when f*cked about by every manager here 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So much choice amongst our absolutely terrible signings it’s hard to pick a winner (looser)!

There have been worse players in some respects (Abdi, Izzy Brown for pounds to minutes/ impact on the pitch) and to be fair Rhodes has scored at least some match winning goals! But in terms of pure outlay of cash to results he has been a terrible, waste of a huge sum of money. 

But really I hold a special place in my heart for this seasons number 9, Jack Marriott. No goals at all as a striker. None.  None at all. Absolute shît. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

100%. 

I have to feel that something went awry, be it injury, mental health or a combination. Especially as he then went straight into retirement. 

Either that or he just thought feck it. 

Like you, was absolutely gutted how it turned out because I thought that was the one.

TBH if someone paid me 35k a week over a 3 year period for doing absolutely zilch I’d happily retire.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

De Bilde did score 11 goals when we went down in 2000 10 of those in the PL. If we had a player that did that today, they would probably be hero worshipped.

True. I remember, similar to Reach, he chose when he wanted to play and when he didn’t. He had the ability, but his attitude f*****g stank. Hated the t***.

Wednesday fans screamed for his signing at the time, now it didn't work it is a shame.

But to compare him to Di'bilde, Emmanuelson, Rudi, Butterfield, Abdi, Lachman, Buckley, McGeady, Bothroyd, Taylor-Fletcher, Jones and such is to ignore the fact that atleast he had some contributions and despite his playing style not fitting us (or lets be honest the championship in general after leaving Blackburn) is scapegoating of the highest order.

• Like 3

Is he the worst signing of the Chansiri era in terms of play, no he is the worst signing if you factor in our expectations of him and the transfer fee and wages which virtually put paid to the following three seasons.

Reading this thread you don't know whether to laugh or cry - a litany of awful business done by a clueless buffoon.

• Like 2

Abdi - hands down.

Rhodes a distant 2nd.

Not his fault though - should have started 40 games this season. Blame the brain-dead managers for leaving him in the stands so that Paterson, Kachunga and Marriott could weave their magic.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

So much choice amongst our absolutely terrible signings it’s hard to pick a winner (looser)!

There have been worse players in some respects (Abdi, Izzy Brown for pounds to minutes/ impact on the pitch) and to be fair Rhodes has scored at least some match winning goals! But in terms of pure outlay of cash to results he has been a terrible, waste of a huge sum of money. 

But really I hold a special place in my heart for this seasons number 9, Jack Marriott. No goals at all as a striker. None.  None at all. Absolute shît. 

Unfair.

Kachunga should be next to your heart.

1000 minutes - not one single league goal

Abdi was at the club for a similar length of time to Rhodes and played 20 games. 20 in 3 seasons, from a player who if fit would have possibly played every game. He therefore gets my vote. Rhodes played more than 100 I think. Plus he was available for plenty more.

Without knowing the exact financials it’s hard to be sure though, if Rhodes contract and fee is the tipping point to where we are now, then maybe it should be him, but that’s Chansiri’s doing, not Jordan Rhodes’.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Unfair.

Kachunga should be next to your heart.

1000 minutes - not one single league goal

Elias did at least get one in the Onion bag for us (albeit in the League Cup). But yes. He was also absolute Dogshîte. 
I am also a bit prejudiced against Marriott because of his hair. Kind of greased bob/ ponytail combo. Very nasty. 

• Haha 1