pound for pound, Jordan Rhodes, the worst signing in our history?

11 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

pound for pound, Jordan Rhodes, the worst signing in our history?

No

I'm not naming names but in the mid to late nineties we signed a lot of people for relatively large sums who were injured all the time or not very good. That led to relegation from the top flight and our downward slide.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Abdi was a far far worse signing in my opinion. I think we're going to hear some interesting stories about that guy when this lot have retired.

Yeah, could do with someone coming out and spilling the beans on that period of time! Surely now they’ve all left someone’s up to the job 😂j

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Yeah, could do with someone coming out and spilling the beans on that period of time! Surely now they’ve all left someone’s up to the job 😂j

No surprise he's not found a club since is it. I think he decided he'd retired the day he signed for us.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

No surprise he's not found a club since is it. I think he decided he'd retired the day he signed for us.

It literally paid for his 6 month round the world holiday with his missus, they get back, settle down and have a kid.

He’s rinsed the club for 3 years and lived the dream off Chansiri’s money 😂feck sake.

• Like 1

I know that Rhodes is a good lad who gave his all. Those slating him need to realise he didn’t decide his transfer fee and wage. 

He didn’t get a fair crack at it here. And let’s be honest, the club has been a basket case ever since FF missed his penalty in the play off semi. Hard for me to judge him when the entire club has been on one big downer.

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

It literally paid for his 6 month round the world holiday with his missus, they get back, settle down and have a kid.

He’s rinsed the club for 3 years and lived the dream off Chansiri’s money 😂feck sake.

Abdi had our pants down. Wasn’t he travelling when he was still contracted to the club? Took DC to the cleaners. Paixao was involved in that deal I believe. I would have sacked him on the spot for bringing Abdi to the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leftpeg said:

Wednesday fans screamed for his signing at the time, now it didn't work it is a shame.

But to compare him to Di'bilde, Emmanuelson, Rudi, Butterfield, Abdi, Lachman, Buckley, McGeady, Bothroyd, Taylor-Fletcher, Jones and such is to ignore the fact that atleast he had some contributions and despite his playing style not fitting us (or lets be honest the championship in general after leaving Blackburn) is scapegoating of the highest order.

Agree most of them were bad players, but Petter Rudi, seriously? Jordan Rhodes wasn't fit to lace his boots. Similar goalscoring record except Rudi was a midfielder and cost £700k, not £7m.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Agree most of them were bad players, but Petter Rudi, seriously? Jordan Rhodes wasn't fit to lace his boots. Similar goalscoring record except Rudi was a midfielder and cost £700k, not £7m.

People here scream Reach is Nesh, but Rudi makes him look like Vinny Jones, now maybe with strikers of the caliber of Flo and Solsjkier infront of him it would have been a different story, but for every 1 good game he had, he had 5 or 6 stinkers

21 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Abdi had our pants down. Wasn’t he travelling when he was still contracted to the club? Took DC to the cleaners. Paixao was involved in that deal I believe. I would have sacked him on the spot for bringing Abdi to the club.

To be fair he was a very highly rated player at that time. Some of the Watford fans actually described him as their favourite ever player. @scram had us all thinking we'd signed Zidane.

Probably the most disappointing signing since Wim Jonk.

I haven't been as disappointed with Rhodes as the signs were already there before he came to us.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

People here scream Reach is Nesh, but Rudi makes him look like Vinny Jones, now maybe with strikers of the caliber of Flo and Solsjkier infront of him it would have been a different story, but for every 1 good game he had, he had 5 or 6 stinkers

Yeah, agree, he was soft as shíte, but then so was Rhodes up until the Derby game. Still, ran about a lot, linked up nicely with Carbone and Di Canio, plenty of skill. I could think of at least 6 regulars from that time worse than him. Maybe just me, but always rated him as being half decent.

• Like 2

100% the worst signing in our history and that is fact. You have to apply several criteria to asses this of course. He would be nowhere near the worst in terms of ability or performance but his transfer cost, his wage expense and his appearance/goals ratio all contribute to making him the worst signing in our history.

No doubt we've signed worse players, but the JR signing was monumentally bad for a multitude of reasons.

We managed to turn even relatively good signings into bad ones by not cashing in when their stock was high, FF and AR being a case in point. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

100% the worst signing in our history and that is fact. You have to apply several criteria to asses this of course. He would be nowhere near the worst in terms of ability or performance but his transfer cost, his wage expense and his appearance/goals ratio all contribute to making him the worst signing in our history.

No doubt we've signed worse players, but the JR signing was monumentally bad for a multitude of reasons.

We managed to turn even relatively good signings into bad ones by not cashing in when their stock was high, FF and AR being a case in point. 

Worst thing of all was that Rhodes at the time was a needless signing, we could've brought in some extra physicality in midfield or a box to box goalscoring midfielder instead.

We had plenty of other strikers at the time. I thought at the time we only needed one or two players in other areas and I think we'd have gone up. Instead we brought in Winnall and Rhodes, upset the applecart or something and cocked it up.

Rhodes was a monumental disaster of a signing and arguably the writing was on the wall, after he lost his way and his confidence at Middlesbrough before we even signed him. 🙈

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just now, The Night-Owl said:

Worst thing of all was that Rhodes at the time was a needless signing, we could've brought in some extra physicality in midfield or a box to box goalscoring midfielder instead.

We had plenty of other strikers at the time. I thought at the time we only needed one or two players in other areas and I think we'd have gone up. Instead we brought in Winnall and Rhodes, upset the applecart or something and cocked it up.

Rhodes was a monumental disaster of a signing and arguably the writing was on the wall, after he lost his way and his confidence at Middlesbrough before we even signed him. 🙈

Yep. I can't bring myself to think about how we were probably a handful of players off having a team that could really push on. Literally everyone on here knew the positions we needed to strengthen but unfortunately those in charge of recruitment could not.......

• Like 1

Guest T Hardy
15 minutes ago, Morepork said:

This, and I’d add in the expectations we all had that he would lead us to promotion contributes to him being the worst 

The difference between Rhodes and other candidates is that at least Rhodes gave a sh*t and I don't care what anyone says, he was mismanaged here.

Abdi, Urby and various others much worse than Rhodes.

The principle of signing him, fair enough but had we gone up that year I don't think many would have batted an eyelid at it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

The difference between Rhodes and other candidates is that at least Rhodes gave a sh*t and I don't care what anyone says, he was mismanaged here.

Abdi, Urby and various others much worse than Rhodes.

The principle of signing him, fair enough but had we gone up that year I don't think many would have batted an eyelid at it.

100%

One bad game he was back on the bench or not even in the squad 

Instead of pi55ing about playing reach upfront ,giving marrott and kachunga the time of day and actually playing our only striker upfront starting every game..we'd have stopped up easily 

It's a fact that our results are better when Rhodes starts then we he doesn't 

But Monk and Co see fat boy Patterson a better option ffs