pound for pound, Jordan Rhodes, the worst signing in our history?

16 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Whilst there have been poorer players on the pitch than Jordan Rhodes. In terms of fee, expectations and overall output I can't think of any worse

The huge transfer fee

The amount of games where he offered absolutely nothing

Perceived weak mental state (too scared to take a penalty)

His inability to score consistently (and before anyone pulls out the 'service' argument, both Fletcher and Hooper managed it with the same players around them)

The pressure to play him constantly when arguably those on the fringes would've performed better, key example Sam Winnall 

Have you (and others) ever thought of having treatment for OCD  (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)?

This unhealthy obessesion with Rhodes is very bad for your mental health !

Try to let go of this self-destructive attitude and move forward to our retained list of players. 

7 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

He did next to nothing. 

Finally rid of him, and he's hardly out the door and the revisionist history is already popping up.

As for not getting a fair crack, with appropriate respect, complete nonsense:

At ~5500 minutes, Rhodes has played a full 16% of his entire professional career at Wednesday.  It's a third of the time he spent at Blackburn, and half of his time at Huddersfield.

Under contract for five years, with like seven different managers, none of whom had any use for Rhodes once they had time to have a good look at him. 

Even on loan at Norwhich, he played in 36 games - and for the first 15 games he started and played nearly the full 90 minutes for 8 of them, until even Norwich decided they'd seen enough after 4 goals in 15 appearances, and punted him from the starting line up.

120 appearances.  20 goals to show for it.  "Didn't get a fair crack", my ass.

Rhodes was an absolute waste of everyone's time, waste of a lineup spot, and a waste of an absolute pile of money.

How is it his fault though? 

1 hour ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Have you (and others) ever thought of having treatment for OCD  (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)?

This unhealthy obessesion with Rhodes is very bad for your mental health !

Try to let go of this self-destructive attitude and move forward to our retained list of players. 

No I haven't considered that

As on a spectum of OCD related symptoms, from minor to severe. 

I'd probably rank 'starting a thread on a forum, about a footballer, who left the day prior' as somewhat towards the lower end

• Love 1

Pound for pound I’d say Almen Abdi was the worst.

At least we got some game time out of Rhodes, Abdi however came here with no intent on playing football and he made that clear from the start.

The guy should’ve been a brilliant signing but turned out to be a complete and utter waste of a contract.

• Love 1

It's between Abdi and Rhodes, and is compounded by the season in which we signed them.

If we had spent that equivalent financial outlay on a ball winning midfield general and a forward/wide player with pace, I think we go up that season.

Learned nothing from the previous season or Wembley, two dreadful, aimless signings at a huge "roll the dice" financial outlay. We didn't just miss the boat with that season after Wembley, we crashed it into the side of a cliff. 

• Like 4

Pound for pound? No Bothroyd was literally that bad that even if our only expenditure was a £10 megabus ticket from London to Sheffield to get him in on loan he owes us back about £25m. 

Also: Scott, O'Donnell, De Build, Jeffers, Abdi and Urbi

I have been watching the club since 1979 and without doubt based on the size of the fee and the expectation around him he is the worst signing in that time.  I am sure the Jordan Rhodes fan club will trot out the service arguments and all that, but the fact remains he is a very limited player in terms of ability, slow as a cart horse and a complete and utter failure.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't see the point in these threads.

We've just been relegated and Jordan Rhodes is our most expensive ever signing by some margin so of course he is, based on the outlay, our biggest ever mistake based on the criteria of monetary values.

There have been countless more players over the last 20 years who obviously cost far far less on fees and wages.

In fact every player we have ever signed. Every. Single. One

But there have been many many more who were lazier, more injured or just plane worse than Rhodes was for us.

I'd say maybe 50% of the players signed the last 6 years have been worse and collectively probably cost more than Rhodes in combined wages per week (Bus, Matias, Urby, Abdi, Wiggins and that's just off the top of my head) and objectively I would rather we had never signed them than Rhodes.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Izzy brown came to us on the back of topping the table for the most assists in the league in the previous season, and that was for luton? What the hell happened? Only assist I saw was Rotherhams 97th minute winner. 

Bielsa at leeds knew him , was injured /unavailable there and he kept him on bench when fit he knew he was a bad egg. Monk made possibly the worst signings ever ,brown kachunga ,marriot those 3 are on our all time list of worst signings . If he didnt agree to those signings monk needs to say so as it makes him look a bloody fool. 

22 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

It's hard to quantify, but...when you look at the financials, it's hard to argue against it.  

Jeffers had a reputation and came on a fat wage, but nothing close to JR.  Shouts for De Bilde, Jonk...Lunt (wasteman), Abdi obviously.  Urby was an oddity, but was hardly here 5 minutes.  Ranger...Bothroyd, bus?  Can't have cost us a lot.  O'Brien had a good reputation and failed...but can you say any of them came close to disappointing us all as much as Wednesday fan JR?

No.  😢

Stevie May? 

Came with a great scoring record in Scottish Premier League but was a massive flop, almost as poor as Kachungu. 

4 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Stevie May? 

Came with a great scoring record in Scottish Premier League but was a massive flop, almost as poor as Kachungu. 

7 goals and 3 assists bests Rhodes' best season in a Wednesday shirt...which is absolutely baffling, isn't it!?

If you'd suggested on here that Rhodes would never match May's record over a season when we signed him, you'd have been laughed off the site.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, nickswfc said:

No I haven't considered that

As on a spectum of OCD related symptoms, from minor to severe. 

I'd probably rank 'starting a thread on a forum, about a footballer, who left the day prior' as somewhat towards the lower end

There have been many threads on how useless Rhodes has been for us

Some people seem genuinely obsessed with Rhodes - maybe triggered by repeated nightmare of his four against us

No-one ever has anything new to say

Better to be looking at those players who are staying or might be coming

Look forward positively rather than all this repeatedly chewing over past failures

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Absolutely no way.

Andy Sinton by a country mile.

The transfer fee at the time around £3m was akin to spending £40m on a defender these days.

Had to battle Arsenal for his signature. 

Disappointing doesn't even come close.

I agree actually, as a 12 year old kid I thought this was such a huge waste of money and I don't remember anything decent he did for us.

For me this was the start of the downfall of SWFC

• Like 1