pound for pound, Jordan Rhodes, the worst signing in our history?

Was never impressed with Rhodes' perfprmance at S6, but  what happened? A look at his record at past clubs would make him a reasonable prospect for a club requiring a proven finisher. 

He didn't manage it at Hillsborough, for reasons we don't know, yet come his departure, one of his former clubs almost broke their necks to re-sign hm , and were prepared to offer hom a 3 year contract.

Maybe the trouble lies , not in how he performed at S6, but how he wasnused/served.

A mor, who often refused to put himself about on the field.e suitable candidate in recent years has been Jay Bothroyd

23 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Whilst there have been poorer players on the pitch than Jordan Rhodes. In terms of fee, expectations and overall output I can't think of any worse

The huge transfer fee

The amount of games where he offered absolutely nothing

Perceived weak mental state (too scared to take a penalty)

His inability to score consistently (and before anyone pulls out the 'service' argument, both Fletcher and Hooper managed it with the same players around them)

The pressure to play him constantly when arguably those on the fringes would've performed better, key example Sam Winnall 

For what we paid he didn’t deliver. No doubt in his career he has scored goals but there’s a reason the teams much higher than us didn’t go for him. When you look at the money spent on Ivan Tony and other players from lower leagues with less about them ie James Maddison it makes you wonder why don’t you think. They obviously saw what we didn’t. He’s not got it to be a top drawer striker. Bottling the penalty in the play offs said a lot. 

20 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

To be fair he was a very highly rated player at that time. Some of the Watford fans actually described him as their favourite ever player. @scram had us all thinking we'd signed Zidane.

Probably the most disappointing signing since Wim Jonk.

I haven't been as disappointed with Rhodes as the signs were already there before he came to us.

Agreed on both points.  

Rhodes hadn't been right in his last few stops before Wednesday

On 20/05/2021 at 19:15, nickswfc said:

Whilst there have been poorer players on the pitch than Jordan Rhodes. In terms of fee, expectations and overall output I can't think of any worse

The huge transfer fee

His inability to score consistently (and before anyone pulls out the 'service' argument, both Fletcher and Hooper managed it with the same players around them)

The pressure to play him constantly when arguably those on the fringes would've performed better, key example Sam Winnall 

I thought he didn’t take the penalty because it was his former club where he is a legend he would be against? 

On 20/05/2021 at 19:57, mildatheart67 said:

Darko Kovačević

Deserves a dishonourable mention.

In a list of top 50 worst Premiership  transfers.

2 million , 16 appearances, 1995 ,I think

Went on to be the worlds most expensive player for a short while 

On 20/05/2021 at 19:15, nickswfc said:

The huge transfer fee

Nah cost £3m and 4 years of silly wages for Abdi to make a total of 20 appearance and 1 goal. That one got cost in excess of £6m.

Rhodes only cost us about £400k a goal compared to and I he was cheap.😁😁😁

42 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:

I don’t think Sinton should be in that lot, I’d say Ola Tidman or Orlando Trustfull, Lloyd Owusu and Leon Knight get a mention too along with Jon Beswetherick 

Pound for pound?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DSandersonOWL said:

There have been many threads on how useless Rhodes has been for us

Some people seem genuinely obsessed with Rhodes - maybe triggered by repeated nightmare of his four against us

No-one ever has anything new to say

Better to be looking at those players who are staying or might be coming

Look forward positively rather than all this repeatedly chewing over past failures

"Some people seem genuinely obsessed"

Or maybe, our biggest ever signing consistently underperforming for four years warrants more of a discussion than other topics, wild theory eh?

8 hours ago, nickswfc said:

"Some people seem genuinely obsessed"

Or maybe, our biggest ever signing consistently underperforming for four years warrants more of a discussion than other topics, wild theory eh?

Good luck with this.

Expect you will still be banging on about Rhodes in 50 years' time.

Same as I do about the ridiculous Brian Usher, the first appalling signing Wednesday made in my experence

And I still hate Man Utd for signing our golden boy Albert Quixall a decade earlier

As you like starting repetetive threads, looking forward to your next one:  how about one on George Hirst?

11 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

I thought he didn’t take the penalty because it was his former club where he is a legend he would be against? 

The penalty thing was used unfairly as a stick to beat him with, in my opinion.

According to Carvalhal, "he said he did not feel confident", which although unexpected from your £10m centre forward, could be viewed as putting the interests of the team first. If Rhodes knew that he was shaky on penalties and was really lacking in confidence on the evening in question, then stepping aside to let someone more mentally prepared is fair enough in my eyes.

• Like 2

The unhappy marriage between Wednesday and Rhodes was evident from very early on, when Carvalhal was discussing trying to adapt his game:

“Jordan, it’s not difficult to explain, he played all the time in one way, the Championship played in one way for a long time but the Championship is changing.

“Typical British football, very few teams play like that now.

“Centre backs played more longer to the attackers but there are a lot of teams, 80% maybe who play differently from the back.

“Centre backs start building the attack. If you don’t have players in attack who don’t understand this, to block the opponents, they will go inside of you and score goals and make you a weak team. The attackers are very important.

“If you play all your life one way, then you must change something, it takes time.

“When you have one way that you play, the players must adapt, the team must not adapt to the player."

Then as recently as this February, Thompson was still talking of adding "a bit of aggression" to his game.

At no point did it seem like the coaches were totally satisfied with what they were getting from Rhodes, which when you consider somebody forked out £10m and jeopardised the club's future in return for him, is a ridiculous situation to end up in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The unhappy marriage between Wednesday and Rhodes was evident from very early on, when Carvalhal was discussing trying to adapt his game:

“Jordan, it’s not difficult to explain, he played all the time in one way, the Championship played in one way for a long time but the Championship is changing.

“Typical British football, very few teams play like that now.

“Centre backs played more longer to the attackers but there are a lot of teams, 80% maybe who play differently from the back.

“Centre backs start building the attack. If you don’t have players in attack who don’t understand this, to block the opponents, they will go inside of you and score goals and make you a weak team. The attackers are very important.

“If you play all your life one way, then you must change something, it takes time.

“When you have one way that you play, the players must adapt, the team must not adapt to the player."

Then as recently as this February, Thompson was still talking of adding "a bit of aggression" to his game.

At no point did it seem like the coaches were totally satisfied with what they were getting from Rhodes, which when you consider somebody forked out £10m and jeopardised the club's future in return for him, is a ridiculous situation to end up in.

Absolutely spot on ^^^

• Thanks 1

He's up there.

He has to accept his fair share of the blame for that, but you've also got point fingers at the morons who signed him and the string of managers who refused to entertain playing to his strengths - balls into the box, limited hold up and link up play.

As a finisher, he was probably the best one we had, even with the likes of Hooper (close call). Yet we seemed more concerned about what he wasn't good at rather than the few things he excelled at.

Moronic.

On 20/05/2021 at 19:57, mildatheart67 said:

Darko Kovačević

Deserves a dishonourable mention.

In a list of top 50 worst Premiership  transfers.

2 million , 16 appearances, 1995 ,I think

Mismanaged by Pleat, scored 1 in 4 whilst here and adapting to a new country, and if I remember correctly, most of the 16 appearances were from the bench

Sold for a profit, shouldn't be anywhere near our worst pound for pound transfers.

A rare transfer we actually made money on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodger Wylde said:

Andy Sinton, Wim Jonk, Gile De Bilde, Andy Hinchcliffe.

Hinchcliffe has to be up there just for the fact we have to listen to him every week telling world class players in the PL how he would have done things better.

18 hours ago, morganowl said:

Bielsa at leeds knew him , was injured /unavailable there and he kept him on bench when fit he knew he was a bad egg. Monk made possibly the worst signings ever ,brown kachunga ,marriot those 3 are on our all time list of worst signings . If he didnt agree to those signings monk needs to say so as it makes him look a bloody fool. 

Yeah kachunga is terrible and God knows why marriott was here longer than a couple of weeks. Criminal.