Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Not surprised that they feel like that, just surprised they’ve actually come out and publicised it. It’s such a disgusting stance to have, but I guess that’s how they feel about us ‘legacy fans’

Unfortunately buddy that is exactly the contempt in whcih fans are held

Since football has become so monetised it has become all about profit - they want customers not fans - anybody they can continually rinse for cash

Sure they'll come out with hollow platitudes at times

But the direction the game has taken tells everything that needs to be told

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Swap Man utd for any of the top clubs

Respectfully disagree. They are too clubs because they had the better teams in a relatively open competition and then closed shop.

This kind of thinking that these clubs make football and it’s not appealing without them is what has lead to all this. They don’t and if they have removed themselves by their own choice from mainstream competition they don’t matter any longer.

2 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Who owns the rights to use the city names....Manchester, Liverpool etc?

Could the local councils stop them using the city names if this went ahead?

That's an Interesting Question and it could well crop up should the Owners of the Big 6 decide to relocate the clubs to the Far East and China.

15 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Not to you but it is to many people.

Doesnt mean you or they are right, it is just different.

It’s not about right or wrong. Football history is a fact, it happened, it’s real history.  Families supporting their local team through generations is history, dreaming of winning something for local pride. 

A Chinese or Yemeni kid supporting Man City all of a sudden, then supporting Real Madrid the season after; it means nothing, apart from shirt sales and TV rights. This is new phenomenon or order in football; 10 years old. 

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

There’s nothing wrong with that in itself, that’s them acting in their best interests. But this is where the regulators must step in as they create the environment in which businesses operate. It’s like a coal mine saying this dirty fuel maximises profits so I’m going to mine it.. regulators restrict it or tax it and then it becomes less economically viable than other options. It’s the same principle.. FA, UEFA, FIFA and governments if necessary need to make that the case by not allowing them access to other tournaments or putting windfall taxes on their revenues 

Agree it has been crying out for regulation for years...but it's this comment that is striking ...' the wider good of the game is a secondary concern'

That for me is up yours English football we want our own rules.

Independent regulator is needed ASAP to protect this sport as of matter of urgency!

3 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Who owns the rights to use the city names....Manchester, Liverpool etc?

Could the local councils stop them using the city names if this went ahead?

No

Some are PLCs and are registered businesses under their respective names.

I don't think councils will want to take on JP Morgan's legal teams either.

It’s all so hypocritical though.

Fans screaming at clubs to spend money.

Managers leaving clubs for not being backed or given money to spend.

Players leaving clubs for super wages and doubling their money.

And this is the first act of greed and money grabbing in football? This was inevitable.

CAPITALISM. Isn’t is great! 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Respectfully disagree. They are too clubs because they had the better teams in a relatively open competition and then closed shop.

This kind of thinking that these clubs make football and it’s not appealing without them is what has lead to all this. They don’t and if they have removed themselves by their own choice from mainstream competition they don’t matter any longer.

The winning of any competition will be tarnished by the missing clubs.  We all know it and there is no getting away from it.

2 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

That's an Interesting Question and it could well crop up should the Owners of the Big 6 decide to relocate the clubs to the Far East and China.

I'm pretty sure place names aren't copywrited

So for eg you wouldn't need permission to use the name Sheffield for your new business - for eg Sheffield Plumbing

And i'm also pretty sure that team names are copywrited - so the legal wrangles to try to force them to change names would be finiancially catastrophic for any council/authority to consider

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s all so hypocritical though.

Fans screaming at clubs to spend money.

Managers leaving clubs for not being backed or given money to spend.

Players leaving clubs for super wages and doubling their money.

And this is the first act of greed and money grabbing in football? This was inevitable.

Of course it is not the first money grab or opportunity to seek financial gain.

It is a watershed moment though - creating a European Super League that is a closed shop in terms of its elite members never being relegated and the rest being invite-only. 

It would move them from being dominant domestically to being more or less untouchable. Leicester winning the league and Arsenal, Man Utd and Milan falling down the league pecking order has pushed this forward, as has the huge debts of the Spanish clubs. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Essentially, the brave new world is to reduce elite football to a bunch of glamour exhibition matches where owners line their pockets (even more).

True, but, (and I'm not for this happening) what they are proposing is the glamour ties of the CL on a regular basis.

The worldwide TV audiences will be huge.

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

True, but, (and I'm not for this happening) what they are proposing is the glamour ties of the CL on a regular basis.

The worldwide TV audiences will be huge.

And that's all that matters.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Essentially, the brave new world is to reduce elite football to a bunch of glamour exhibition matches where owners line their pockets (even more).

Yep, many hoped the bubble would burst at some point, it didn't look likely under the current format with money at the top ever increasing but now elite football has decided it likes the look of itself so much that it has decided to eat itself.