Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

' owners secretly delighted about players not been able to play for their country, happy about the prospect of playing less games, and will field weaker teams in the PL because of the importance on the super league' ...asked by one person if this was a civil war on football the response by an insider was ' this isn't a civil war , its a nuclear war on football'

Edited by TaxiMark
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That's the point though.

The rest of the clubs won't want the leagues to remain intact with these 6 clubs continuing to play in the Premier League while also playing in the Super League. The money they will get from the Super League will make a near closed shop at the top end of the PL even more closed. 

Without these clubs however, global TV money for the PL will drop off and other clubs won't be able to pay the likes of Werner big wages that they can get at Chelsea.  

I meant without them. Just stop relegation for a season and promote 3 more. There's a pyramid for a reason. Same as when a team goes bust. 

Just now, Pastor Kidneys said:

The game is totally fukkd mate ... if it's not this proposed new format it'll be another one in not too long. My guess is this is just a play to get more from the current set-up.

Greed rules this game now.

Not sure what era you grew up in but it doesn't even resemble the game I loved growing up.

We now have a situation where a goal is scored and instead of us supporters hugging everyone in the close vicinity and going nuts we hold our breath to actually see if the 'goal' will be awarded.

Total nonsense.

Being going since the late 60s and agree it's not the same game, but the basic premise of relegation and promotion is what makes the games so good.  Gives the leagues a fresh look and keeps the leagues alive till the last day of the season.  I was against the play-offs when they were first introduced, but they have added to the game.

This new format will destroy all we have grown up with.  

7 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Wow. A board member has come out and said that profits are the most important thing, and the welfare of football is secondary 

Also, they want their players to play less games. So would be secretly delighted at players being pulled from competitions like the World Cup 

DISGUSTING, FOUL, BEYOND BELIEF 

Why are you surprised?

The clubs involved are all about greed - they were never gonna turn down such an opportunity

I'll be interested to see how FIFA/UEFA/FA/PL etc respond

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Players are not going to reject the chance to earn more money.

they would just make their own cup competition, get a load of other clubs involved. 

also all the American clubs are same teams every year, their fans don’t get bored

Listening to some ex-Pros, they seem to be saying that players wouldn't want to miss out on things like domestic cup competitions and international games so money might not come in to it. Of course, they will no doubt reflect differently as their careers have now finished. If a player is being paid well enough outside of the SL, then maybe they will have a conscience, who knows.

Maybe with American fans it's something that they are used to. Maybe in a few generations to come, assuming this takes off, European fans will be used to it too. I've seen a comment from someone in Birmingham calling fans, outraged by this proposal, as Luddites, which is totally incorrect. Ned Ludd opposed progress; the SL isn't progress, it's down right elitism to the detriment of the entire football structure that supports it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Legal action by the ESL already underway, this has been well planned. I fear the worst.

It's a bloody coup. 

That whole operation big picture was the *olive branch.*

They've now gone with the nuclear option.

25 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

That doesn't matter, you think united fans want to come back down to the Championship?  They want to play Man Utd etc 

That's being taken away from all of us.

No one wants to get relegated from top level. But whether they play Man U or not it depends on the individual fan.

Man Us reputation is already tarnished now. Over time there will be other good teams to look forward to playing 

1 minute ago, TheGaffer said:

I meant without them. Just stop relegation for a season and promote 3 more. There's a pyramid for a reason. Same as when a team goes bust. 

So you think the likes of Werner would leave Chelsea for a club competing outside of this Super League?

As I said, global TV money for the Premier League would drop off significantly without the big 6 and the others would not be able to offer the wages that Werner could continue to get at Chelsea. You think he would leave for altruistic reasons? Why did he join them in the first place? 

This is now being discussed as the lead article on The Daily Politics! I’ve never actually seen a backlash like this to anything!

Literally everyone is saying it’s a horrendous idea. 
The government are actually considering intervention to prevent it! Never seen anything like it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scram said:

Why are you surprised?

The clubs involved are all about greed - they were never gonna turn down such an opportunity

I'll be interested to see how FIFA/UEFA/FA/PL etc respond

Not surprised that they feel like that, just surprised they’ve actually come out and publicised it. It’s such a disgusting stance to have, but I guess that’s how they feel about us ‘legacy fans’

The clubs will win.

They hold the power.

Domestic leagues will cave and let it happen. 

All the pundits slating it will be the first to sign up for commentary and punditry when it launches.

Football clubs have been given far too much power and this has been brewing ever since the Premier League was born. When you have actual countries owning football clubs - they hold all the power. Do they care about the average fan? Not a chance.

1 minute ago, BIG D said:

Such a set of c**ts. City are a bit of a 2nd team of mine but I'd love to all the f**kers binned off by the Premier League.

Mine too, but the PL cannot survive financially without those top 6 clubs, well, not with its current income streams.

World TV rights sales would be decimated, that's why ultimately, I don't think the PL will ban or deduct points off 'the big 6'

' the other 14 clubs  want these clubs to be sanctioned immediately ' and this means to be kicked out of the PL ' one of the six club owners reportedly says he is prepared to leave the PL because of the riches that is on offer is so great this is the future !'

US owners cannot understand why there is relegations and promotions of the English leagues !

Edited by TaxiMark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you think the likes of Werner would leave Chelsea for a club competing outside of this Super League?

As I said, global TV money for the Premier League would drop off significantly without the big 6 and the others would not be able to offer the wages that Werner could continue to get at Chelsea. You think he would leave for altruistic reasons? Why did he join them in the first place? 

I do yes. They won't be big 6 when nobody is watching them if the players all leave. It takes one contractual turnover. 

5 years and then it could be over, no decent players, no TV audience. They'll come crawling back. 

Meanwhile interest in the Premier League and Champions League could have risen due to more clubs competing. Like I say if the players value more than just money this can and will fail in under 10 years. 

Guest LondonOwl313
12 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Owners aren't bothered about bad PR...Quote from a board member of one of the big six just now ' our primary job to maximise our revenues and profits, the wider good of the game is a secondary concern' - says it all for me that!

There’s nothing wrong with that in itself, that’s them acting in their best interests. But this is where the regulators must step in as they create the environment in which businesses operate. It’s like a coal mine saying this dirty fuel maximises profits so I’m going to mine it.. regulators restrict it or tax it and then it becomes less economically viable than other options. It’s the same principle.. FA, UEFA, FIFA and governments if necessary need to make that the case by not allowing them access to other tournaments or putting windfall taxes on their revenues 

Talksport has been surprisingly good this morning, pure passion from Ally McCoist followed by a decent opinion by Simon Jordan as an ex club owner/chairman. Arsene Wenger also interviewed. 

A couple of points were made :

1. When there's nothing stopping a club paying Kevin De Bruyne £400k a week - that it's deemed acceptable for a player to want that - where do you think the game is heading?

2. Supporters are not a consideration. Football tourists will make up any attendance shortfall

This isn't the final nail in the coffin,  that was hammered in a while ago..the coffin has now been varnished and the nameplate attached. 

Between FIFA corruption leading to the farcical prospect of Qatar 2022 WC, and this ESL monstrosity,  there just isn't any point to the game anymore is there? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

I do yes. They won't be big 6 when nobody is watching them if the players all leave. It takes one contractual turnover. 

5 years and then it could be over, no decent players, no TV audience. They'll come crawling back. 

Meanwhile interest in the Premier League and Champions League could have risen due to more clubs competing. Like I say if the players value more than just money this can and will fail in under 10 years. 

I think they have probably done some fairly accurate estimations as to the TV audience they will be attracting worldwide. JP Morgan woudn't be chucking money at this on a whim. 

Players, in the main, will stay where the big contracts are, the attractiveness of the Premier League may increase domestically with a more level competition but worldwide fans in China, Thailand, America etc will want to watch Man Utd and Real Madrid not Southampton and Bilbao. 

Edited by Guest