Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

Just now, trev said:

So let's say this goes ahead.

This means no more champions league or Europa league next season?

Those clubs who have already or are about to qualify will now not be in Europe? 

The Champions League surely couldn't survive, the TV companies who've paid huge sums for the rights to screen it would never make their money back when their feature games are suddenly West Ham vs Real Betis and Everton vs Bayer Leverkusen.

The Europa League could theoretically carry on I suppose.

1 hour ago, mildatheart67 said:

Price in Paper that Wenger said in an interview in 2009 that by 2019 the top clubs would not settle for champions league but would want a European League of their own with midweek fixtures.

Mystic Arsene

I said years ago that within my lifetime Man U will play Barca in a league match in Beijing (for eg)

This is just bringing that closer

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Same thing at the end of the day. 

Only if they let it be the same thing.

By far the best way forward is just to let them go off and start their own completely separate version of the sport and then just ignore them forever.

• Like 1

i like the way everyone is saying this is just about money, as if the PL isn't just about money, the problem is the 6 teams are getting more greedy and want an even bigger slice of the pie

They tried it with their proposals for the PL earlier this season, that failed, this is their new way

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Nice idea, but fans want to see or dream that they can compete with the best.

They can. Within the code of what is recognised as football.

In truth 99% of clubs cannot compete with the best anyway as it’s rigged heavily to prevent that from happening. Prem solidarity money caveated with spending restrictions making EFL a youth feeder league. Newcastle takeovers denied. 

We all want to get to the premier league and then it’s no fun any more as 99/100 you’re just cannon fodder for the teams that matter commercially.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Its happening mate they have all resigned from various bodies and even set up a website, its happening mate in August. 

believe it when I see it.

Just now, owlinexile said:

Only if they let it be the same thing.

By far the best way forward is just to let them go off and start their own completely separate version of the sport and then just ignore them forever.

We all know that the clubs left behind will know that they aren't the best clubs and any competitions they win will be hollow victories. 

This is a massive shock to football and I really fear for the long term future of so many clubs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scram said:

You know exactly why it would be Spurs and not Leicester - or Arsenal over Leicester for that matter

I do and I don’t, why Spurs? It’s only been last 10 years they have qualified for Europe, maybe less. I never saw them as a big club growing up, just next tier with villa, Everton, Newcastle. Just literally cos they built a bit ground in London?

but even now they have incorporated the top 4 into the big 6 but why Spurs? Leicester won a title and are no in the FA final. Weird

Who actually wants to just see these teams play against each other all the time.

When I was a kids in the 80s, you either supported Wednesday or United, with odd spineless kid supporting Liverpool. 

Now everyone wants to be a winner, they want to support the best and try to be part of something they’ll never really have any real true connection with. But they can say they support Man Utd, Man City. 

Its disgusting and I hope it backfires. You just know it’s the likes of Woodwood and co lining their own pockets. 

The games will be popular in the Middle East and Asia, i hope the rest of the true footballing world boycott 

Edited by Rogers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, scram said:

Macc fans lost their club

City fans will have to wrestle with either not watching their club - or watching it in an elite league against the best clubs in the world

I'd wager most "true" fans will not boycott the club

Macc fans have no club to watch

That's the point i was making

Macclesfield not having a club is not the fault of true City fans though is it? 

Maybe most will not boycott the club but some will and that doesn't mean those that don't will be happy with these developments. Their opinions don't matter. 

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

They can. Within the code of what is recognised as football.

In truth 99% of clubs cannot compete with the best anyway as it’s rigged heavily to prevent that from happening. Prem solidarity money caveated with spending restrictions making EFL a youth feeder league. Newcastle takeovers denied. 

We all want to get to the premier league and then it’s no fun any more as 99/100 you’re just cannon fodder for the teams that matter commercially.

That doesn't matter, you think united fans want to come back down to the Championship?  They want to play Man Utd etc 

That's being taken away from all of us.

3 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I do and I don’t, why Spurs? It’s only been last 10 years they have qualified for Europe, maybe less. I never saw them as a big club growing up, just next tier with villa, Everton, Newcastle. Just literally cos they built a bit ground in London?

but even now they have incorporated the top 4 into the big 6 but why Spurs? Leicester won a title and are no in the FA final. Weird

Spurs have a much bigger fan base worldwide, many more fans worldwide = extra revenue for ESL.

Guest LondonOwl313

Having thought about it I can’t see why, if this was about making the premier European football competition more lucrative they couldn’t just revamp the Champions League.

The issue is, outside of the big 4-5 nations the rest of the teams are pretty rubbish. But it’s unfair just to exclude smaller countries. 

If I was starting from scratch I’d probably nick a few ideas from this new proposed format, maybe make it 24 teams and 3 groups of 8, all play each other home and away which is 14 games. Top 2 in each go through to the QFs, then a play off for the last two places between 3rd and 4th, two best 3rd place teams go through to last 16, then the 3 4th placed teams plus the worst 3rd placed team play last 32. Get 2 teams through that to join the rest of the top 2 in the QFs.

That way they’d get more games against the better opposition that they’re wanting. I’d also increase the number of places for England to 6 as we’re the best league, but this shouldn’t be static and should change if other leagues become the more dominant one.

Then would make the other smaller nations do qualifying rounds to determine who gets to join in the group stages.

I can see the merits in trying to increase the number of games between the top clubs and also reduce the number of games between the top clubs and clubs that are probably Championship standard at best.

But it all has to be done on merit e.g. top 6 of the PL qualify. You can’t have a closed shop. And anyway, it’s actually quite likely that most years 5 out of 6 of these ‘big 6’ would finish top 6 anyway. Leicester shouldn’t miss out just because Arsenal have more appeal despite being crap on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Who actually wants to just see these teams play against each other all the time.

When I was a kids in the 80s, you either supported Wednesday or United, with odd spineless kid supporting Liverpool. 

Now everyone wants to be a winner, they want to support the best and try to be part of something they’ll never really have any real true connection with. But they can say they support Man Utd, Man City. 

Its disgusting and I hope it backfires. You just know it’s the likes of Woodwood and co lining their own pockets. 

The games will be popular in the Middle East and Asia, i hope the rest of the true footballing world boycott 

A kid in Thailand has as much right to be seen as a Man Utd fan as an old scally in Salford.