Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

The sad thing is that if the status quo is preserved and the clubs veto the ESL - they will undoubtedly come out of it better off somehow

I think UEFA/PL are too jittery to sanction them - as they could force the clubs to look elsewhere for financial return

It's a catch 22 for the authorities

Still a lot to be played out yet - legal wranglings for sure

Sanctions? Who knows 

When all settles - regardless of what happens in the iummediate aftermath - the rebel clubs will be getting even bigger slices of the cake than they do already

• Like 1

1 minute ago, owl_83 said:

I don't reckon this is over, not by a long shot. Real Madrid and Barcelona are still in a lot of debt, as are a lot of the clubs. The bubble is still vastly inflated and they will still need to do something. I reckon Real Madrid and Man Utd will just look worldwide for clubs. 

That's what I'm thinking. It's quite possible that they could either purchase a MLS Franchise or a Chinese Super League Club.

1 minute ago, BIG D said:

According to a Spanish journo

City have left

Chelsea have not confirmed they are leaving but have expressed doubts about the project

Barca and Athletico are still in.

Sky seem pretty convinced that Chelsea have all but gone. 

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

They need the big 'brands' though or it won't work.

Not much of an 'Elite Soccer League' if most of the big clubs aren't in it.

Absolutely

Bujt similarly the domestic leagues and UEFA need the biggest clubs or their own competitions are worth a helluva lot less

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scram said:

The sad thing is that if the status quo is preserved and the clubs veto the ESL - they will undoubtedly come out of it better off somehow

I think UEFA/PL are too jittery to sanction them - as they could force the clubs to look elsewhere for financial return

Sanctions? Who knows 

When all settles - regardless of what happens in the iummediate aftermath - the rebel clubs will be getting even bigger slices of the cake than they do already

Maybe this was always the plan, they didn’t like the new champions league and the deal. 

30 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

This is the second time in 12 months they have tried to leverage the COVID situation to try and pull something like this.

Do they have a third attempt in them?  Hopefully not.

Not a chance ...this has been seismic.

What we now need is to learn from it and put in place some sort of regulations in football ownership.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scram said:

Sanctions? Who knows 

Is it fair to sanction them though? I mean their managers, players, and especially the fans didn't want it, it was a few ppl right at the top wanting to make more money by pure greed that mis-read the deep rooted passion that is here in the UK.

Its them that should be punished not the actual clubs.