Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

Just now, Groundhopping Owl said:

Exactly that - turns out it's only two places but the point remains:

"The final two places will go to the clubs with the highest club coefficient over the last five years that have not qualified for the Champions League group stage but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase, the Europa League or the Europa Conference League."

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/0268-1213f7aa85bb-d56154ff8fe8-1000--uefa-announces-new-format-for-club-competitions-to-be-introduce/

Not a fan of expanding the number of clubs in the competition, but as a mechanism to do so that really doesn't seem a bad way of doing it. Only 2 across the whole of Europe too, plenty of opportunity for variety.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

So now Man City and Chelsea have left is there room for a certain Sheffield based club? Time to swap Cheltenham away for Barcelona 😂

Imagine if JP Morgan ended up with their closed shop super league including Sheffield United and Fulham...

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Who gets the benefit of the ‘heavy fine’? There is no league. 

My guess is the chairman, Perez.

Should help Real Madrid's debt.

Or those financing it. In theroy someone's about to make a few quid.

Edited by Maddogbob

1 hour ago, scram said:

How can you legislate that fans have to own 50% of the shares

Man U are worth what? £1.5 - £2bn?

All that would do is see the lawyers get extremely rich

The Government can legislate for anything. If they can legislate for compulsory purchase and determine a buying price, I'm sure they can legislate for part purchase under the same terms.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scram said:

I think a lot will be learned from this though - the next stage will be to convince the clubs to leave their national league full time and join  a new structure

I couldn't see any way this ESL could run alongside existing UEFA sanctioned competitions with clubs competing in both

Absolutely

Identify the ring leader in the PL (that will be Man U) and kick them out of the league. Let them apply for re-admission and they can start in the bottom league. F*ck 'em. There has to be some punishment for attempting this at it has to be severe.

1 hour ago, scram said:

I think a lot will be learned from this though - the next stage will be to convince the clubs to leave their national league full time and join  a new structure

I couldn't see any way this ESL could run alongside existing UEFA sanctioned competitions with clubs competing in both

I think the general consensus has been 'so be it'.

Let the 'fans of the future' have their kind of football and the 'legacy fans' have our kind of football, and keep them totally seperate.

It will be a shame for the supporters of those particular clubs, though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The Government can legislate for anything. If they can legislate for compulsory purchase and determine a buying price, I'm sure they can legislate for part purchase under the same terms.  

I think the only way it could be done, would be to make It law that when a club changes hands, 51% of the club has to be gifted to the fans. As part of the purchase.

5 year limit on that (gives owners time to sell) after that 5 year limit 51% of shares have to be transferred to fans if the club hasn't changed hands.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

Identify the ring leader in the PL (that will be Man U) and kick them out of the league. Let them apply for re-admission and they can start in the bottom league. F*ck 'em. There has to be some punishment for attempting this at it has to be severe.

Kick Leeds out and all while we’re at it

3 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

It's becoming quite clear from the silence it's utd, Liverpool and probably arsenal.