Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

7 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

I have been on 4 or 5 of the "big six" forums the last few days and you know what surprises me? They all hated the Super League more than all of us put together. They want to win but don't want European football just gifted to them. All of them seemed fed up with modern football and all of them are seriously considering quitting their club for non league football etc.

You think we don't like Chansiri, you ought to hear Tottenham, Arsenal and Man Utd fans talk about their owners. You will probably see pitch forks coming out soon.

And all of them are fed up with the price of season tickets. I really think football has achieved a saturation point where the fans can or cannot justify the price of season tickets. If the price goes up much more, I believe you will see more and more begin to turn their backs on the clubs. 

Of course they were.

It is the so-called 'legacy fans' of these clubs that had the most to lose out of this.  Watching their clubs transformed into the Harlem Globetrotters to play endless exhibition matches for overseas TV audiences against the same handful of clubs until the end of time.

Not to mention probably getting kicked out of proper football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Give them the points deduction this season.

Loss of Premier League prize money, loss of Champions League money and status for one season as they don't qualify, loss due to having to pay compensation for dropping out. Absolute loss of reputation within 48 hours.

Avoids any punishment resulting in a mass mass exodus of their squad, and hits their pocket hard. That'd do me. Oh, and Arsenal would get relegated, but tough. 

If they deduced them all 100 points, the pigs may survive on goal difference! 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Give them the points deduction this season.

Loss of Premier League prize money, loss of Champions League money and status for one season as they don't qualify, loss due to having to pay compensation for dropping out. Absolute loss of reputation within 48 hours.

Avoids any punishment resulting in a mass mass exodus of their squad, and hits their pocket hard. That'd do me. Oh, and Arsenal would get relegated, but tough. 

Let’s dock the pigs, Leeds, Rotherham and Derby 50 points each as well, just because 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Agreed, but deducting say Man U 30 points and putting them on a transfer embargo?

All the players leave because they cannot even contemplate competing at a high level with a 30 point deduction and Man U can't replace them because they have a transfer embargo, that's a daft suggestion at best.

Which removes the funds and riches of European football, possibly sponsors, maybe even Premier League football, all of which directly impacts the owners.

Moaning because the fans and players don’t deserve it? Jesus wept. Did Luton’s fans or players deserve it when they were constructively relegated via successive points deductions over a 2 or 3 season spell? 

What’s your suggestion? 20 grand fine for the Glazers? 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Agreed.

If the clubs were given anything like the punishments some on here want then they would all leave and form their own league. Where have we heard that before?

The 'punishments' can come with the fan-led review of English football.

Take the owners' toys away rather than punishing the footballing side of the clubs.

22 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

The idea that this lot can just back out and shove out a press release, then be welcomed back with open arms, sickens me.

Football CANNOT let this slide without severe punishment. 

Point deductions, financial penalty, transfer bans.. it all has to be on the table. I’d be shocked if any of them get thrown out of the league but the maximum short of that needs to remain on the table. 

-30 for all 6 and a 3 year transfer ban. See how you get on with the top 4 then.

No one will get punished; I wouldn’t be surprised that they were given an exit deadline, after that they will be punished. 

Just now, sheffield_dave said:

Which removes the funds and riches of European football, possibly sponsors, maybe even Premier League football, all of which directly impacts the owners.

Moaning because the fans and players don’t deserve it? Jesus wept. Did Luton’s fans or players deserve it when they were constructively relegated via successive points deductions over a 2 or 3 season spell? 

What’s your suggestion? 20 grand fine for the Glazers? 

I'll have a think about my suggestion, knee jerk reactions always end badly.

I'm not moaning that fans and players don't deserve it. I'm stating a fact. They don't deserve it, they had no knowledge of it.

The difficulty is a fine given to multi billionaire owners does very little to punish them. Your suggestions ultimately create ESL mark 2. 

• Like 1

The fact this was ever a thing should be enough proof that something quite radical has to change within the game. 

The whole thing was absolutely outrageous. The supposed biggest 6 clubs in this country absolutely riding roughshod over the rest of us, making a complete mockery of the competition and what football is meant to represent. 

Also worth remembering that this is following their first attempted power grab under the auspices of operation "big picture." That's right, this lot have used the COVID-19 pandemic on two separate occasions to try and justify their lust for further power and money. 

They should be punished and have the book thrown at them. Bo11ocks to all this, it wouldn't be fair on the fans and the players. Was it fair on the fans and players of Bury and Macclesfield when the EFL slit those two club's throats? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I'll have a think about my suggestion, knee jerk reactions always end badly.

I'm not moaning that fans and players don't deserve it. I'm stating a fact. They don't deserve it, they had no knowledge of it.

The difficulty is a fine given to multi billionaire owners does very little to punish them. Your suggestions ultimately create ESL mark 2. 

Why does it? 

Six clubs create their own 6 team mini division just because they don’t like taking their medicine? Don’t be ridiculous. They’d have no support from anyone else to do so and they’ve lost their leverage as far as “b-b-b-but we’ll leave!” goes.

Minus 30 points and 3 years transfer bans. Star players will leave, some of them will go down and no Champions League for a while. Boo-f*cking-hoo. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Morepork said:

All these Official Club Statements littered with the backtracking Weasel words of billionaires. Makes me sick to my stomach....

I was just thinking the same....I bet they were all on a conference call and were arguing who went first so all press 'send' together .

Total jokers.

Edited by TaxiMark
  • Like 1

The two fatal errors here were the closed shop nature reserved for the self-proclaimed biggest clubs while those deemed inferior could be tossed aside at will, and thinking they could do this while maintaining they could also continue in domestic competitions.

We’ve been saying for years that we think the big clubs will break away and form their own European League.  I think this shows it is closer than we think.  

I believe they will go away, re-group and decide that they still want a super league but they no longer want to participate in the domestic competitions.  They’ll find 20 clubs and still have their closed shop.

They’ve clearly done the maths on this and think they can generate the money required, it just needs a greedy enough owner to see it through.

• Like 3

Just now, Big Malc said:

They should be forced to have “Splitters 2020/21” added to their honours list

That might not be such a bad idea.

The one thing all these owners have in common is an ego the size of a small country.

Humility is something they don't understand.

What about a public apology from each of the owners in a televised press conference whereby each one apologised to the club employees, its fans and the general public.

Then all make a £5 million donation to support grass roots football?

That would hurt them, admitting they got it badly wrong in public.

Massive issue of trust now within the PL and wider. 

These clubs have had people sat in on key PL meetings all season , whilst also plotting in the background to stage what was pretty much a coup. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Massive issue of trust now within the PL and wider. 

These clubs have had people sat in on key PL meetings all season , whilst also plotting in the background to stage what was pretty much a coup. 

That's true.

I still don't know the answer though. If you go in really hard, they will leave anyway.