Your first SWFC match

Too young to remember, would have been a Child on my Dad's shoulders on the Leppings Lane,  guessing around 74/5.

First time I can really remember being interested in supporting us was in the 3rd Division with Hornsby, Wylde, Rushbury etc so guessing my real interest started late 70s.

Funnily enough, back then I thought we were great, (although we were crap, we regularly won my Dad took me, so he can't took me that often!!) so much better than now. 

• Like 1

Back in the day, 1980 I think!! Myself and three of my mates from school caught the two buses from Woodhouse to Hillsborough on match day, we were 11 years old, it was our first game.

I don't recall who we played or even the score from that day, what I do remember vividly was stepping over the top of the old kop and being quite literally awe struck at the sight and sound of Hillsborough.

From that moment I have loved and followed our club, through thick and thin. Mostly thin.........

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 2

Easter Monday 1983, Barnsley at home. Jack Charlton and Norman Hunter were the two managers. We were drawing 0-0 and they brought on Ronnie Glavin from the bench. 

“Watch him son, he’s a good player that Glavin” said my dad, and he duly scored the winner. Rare for my dad to be so right about something ha!

Few days later he took me to my first away match, at Elland Road - but this time we won🙂

Edited by paulrs

31st August 1968.my first game

Sheffield Wednesday 5

Manchesfer United 4

Whitham 2 min

Best 10 

Law 12 

Ritchie 15

Law 26

B Charlton 36

Whitham 45

Stiles (og) 47

Whitham 72.

What an introduction, 4 days later a long trip to 4th division Exeter City League Cup lost 3-1.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, grumpy grandad said:

Blackpool home 1965 can't remember score can only remember this brilliant shiny tangerine shirt, still look for their results today even though im an owl 

Didn't play Blackpool home in 65,

But it was one of these 2 you went to

19/12/1964 won 4-1 or

04/04/1966 won 3-0