Barry (back pass) Bannan

26 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Exactly a young up and coming CM being brought into our club from L1 or L2 should be on £3k-£6k at a guess?

Imagine trying to sell that when he’s playing next to Bannan on £20k+ and £30k KW who spends most of the season sat at home.

This!!! Winall we brought in on 18k, that was four times more than he was on at Barnsley but he’s still on 70-50% of Fletch, Hooper etc. 

We just need to clear out all of those on more than 15k and start from there. I’m not buying you won’t have the quality if we do this. We’ve clearly seen other clubs build better squads at a fraction of the cost of ours.

Bannan is not 4 x better than Mowatt, he’s not 7 x better than Obrian last night. He’s as much part of the problem as anything else and those that think he’s delivering value for money shouldn’t be complaining at cost of tickets etc. He’s rinsing our club and is no more a hero than chansiri. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Every time he plays it forward it is easily cut out by opposition defenders. The long floaty passes are so easy for defenders to sort. But it’s never Bazzas fault.

Know exactly what you mean mate but I think a lot of these long balls come from not having any decent movement in and around midfield.

The sort of pass and move game that characterised CC's first season hasn't been possible for a long time. Kinell, we don't even have a 'target man' anymore.

Not saying he's perfect by any means but a lot of these passes that go astray are often played in desperation rather than expectation

Best player in the side...bar none.

Therein lies our problem

The back 4

Want to "pass it to Bannan"

His fellow midfielders want to "pass it to Bannan"

It's a massive over reliance by half the bloody team

Bannan gets slated for taking the responsibility and this sometimes his own worst enemy.

Seriously forwards backwards sideways whichever the direction of passing

Who's a better option ?

I'm not saying Bannan is a wonderful footballer

I'm saying the rest of the pack are same distance offa bloody average

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

Know exactly what you mean mate but I think a lot of these long balls come from not having any decent movement in and around midfield.

The sort of pass and move game that characterised CC's first season hasn't been possible for a long time. Kinell, we don't even have a 'target man' anymore.

Not saying he's perfect by any means but a lot of these passes that go astray are often played in desperation rather than expectation

He can play a short ball but generally he shapes us into a long ball team

19 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I think our players have got fed up of moving into space only to not receive a pass from Bannan due to the number of pirouettes he has to perform. They look as though they are wondering what he is going to do next so end up holding their position.

Pirouettes a problem as he is so left footed. Gives time to opposition.

28 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

Or maybe he just constantly wants to play the glory pass cos when it comes off he looks great on the highlights. I think his ego takes over no matter how many managers tell him to play further up field.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, paulrs said:

Always been a huge fan of Bannans. But his recent performances have been woeful. Perhaps it’s the malaise around the club affecting him or the desperate lack of ability around him, or maybe the dawning realisation we’re a League One side in all but name. 

I've backed him recently but thought he was passive yesterday, didn't try to effect the game enough. That said, the midfielder playing alongside him for all his effort managed a decent shot on our own goal from 25 yards while at the other end his shot from the right side of the goal from a similar distance went out for a throw in - on the right hand side of the goal! The bloke playing on the left has been as active as a hat stand in the past handful of games and the guy playing on the right is full of effort but severely lacking in final product. 

We aren't an effective team for a player like Bannan and it won't surprise me at all if he continues to play Championship football next season when we are in the league below. 

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Luongo Shaw and FDB from squad we have, or Joey, Shaw & Brown.... 

Im not sure if without Bannan we can increase overall quality. By spreading his large salary across two lessor salaries. 

Barnsley's entire midfield cost in salary terms less than Bannan. Who gets better value? 

You're making stuff up

For anyone to think Bannan is one of our biggest problems right now baffles me

I spent the whole match last night trying to look to see what our movement off the ball is like now and how many options the player with the ball has. Sadly, nothing has changed.

If a player gets in space Bannan is good enough to find them and more importantly, see the run. He is a very intelligent footballer and technically good too

However if nobody moves to try and get the ball his only option is to pass back

Everyone in our team look to pass him the ball and then go hiding as soon as they have got rid of it. Its the sign of a team with zero confidence and, in some cases, ability

If Bannan didn't come looking for the ball the way he does i honestly don't know what we would do apart from hoof it out for even more throw-ins

Lee used to come looking and make space for Bannan to pass into, as did FF, Hooper and even Fletcher. None do in our current side

People constantly say how rubbish we are at giving options from throw-ins, well its even worse from open play

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

For anyone to think Bannan is one of our biggest problems right now baffles me

I spent the whole match last night trying to look to see what our movement off the ball is like now and how many options the player with the ball has. Sadly, nothing has changed.

If a player gets in space Bannan is good enough to find them and more importantly, see the run. He is a very intelligent footballer and technically good too

However if nobody moves to try and get the ball his only option is to pass back

Everyone in our team look to pass him the ball and then go hiding as soon as they have got rid of it. Its the sign of a team with zero confidence and, in some cases, ability

If Bannan didn't come looking for the ball the way he does i honestly don't know what we would do apart from hoof it out for even more throw-ins

Lee used to come looking and make space for Bannan to pass into, as did FF, Hooper and even Fletcher. None do in our current side

People constantly say how rubbish we are at giving options from throw-ins, well its even worse from open play

At the ground were you? Or are you trying to spot off the ball runs on iFollow? I mean half the time they don’t show on the ball runs?? But are you saying somehow you’re able to see the runs and movement from their production? 

• Haha 1

Bannan does not need to come back and take the ball off Hutchinson and Borner when they are coming out with the ball, earlier in the season he came back and ran into Borner who was not expecting his own team mate to tackle him. There are many times when he could simply move forward into a pocket of space and make an angle so that he is receiving  possession nearer to the opposition goal but he seems very reluctant to do this. In short he stifles the opportunity for our defenders to come further out with the ball. Jordan Rhodes with his assist last night shows the value of playing closer to the striker, the defenders have less time to react as opposed to a long floaty ball that they have time to react to and clatter our strikers who generally are not target men.

Anyone who sits in the North or South should have noticed the runs that Mathias and Rhodes (possibly LJ before he left) tried to make over the years but when the ball is delayed they are trapped offside as the opposition push up and made to look foolish, eventually strikers will be reluctant to commit to making the runs.

Bannan's style is more suited to a Fletcher type player and us unashamedly being a long ball side.

• Like 4

There's not much doubt that he is on the downward slope.

But I  dothink he will be  great playing against third division sides 

This club also needs some stalwart employees regardless of how much he's paid the facts are:

He's here 

He knows the club well

We won't attract better players the 3rd division

imo he wouldn't be a bad bet in the future as a super sub and then if he wants it one of the coaching staff

We could do a lot worse and I don't see us attracting a lot better until at a minimum we are challenging for promotion to the top flight 

41 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

At the ground were you? Or are you trying to spot off the ball runs on iFollow? I mean half the time they don’t show on the ball runs?? But are you saying somehow you’re able to see the runs and movement from their production? 

Must have one of those wide screen TVs 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Philb125 said:

This!!! Winall we brought in on 18k, that was four times more than he was on at Barnsley but he’s still on 70-50% of Fletch, Hooper etc. 

We just need to clear out all of those on more than 15k and start from there. I’m not buying you won’t have the quality if we do this. We’ve clearly seen other clubs build better squads at a fraction of the cost of ours.

Bannan is not 4 x better than Mowatt, he’s not 7 x better than Obrian last night. He’s as much part of the problem as anything else and those that think he’s delivering value for money shouldn’t be complaining at cost of tickets etc. He’s rinsing our club and is no more a hero than chansiri. 

Problem being whilst Winnall was on 50-70% of Hooper and Fletcher’s wage

He wasn’t even 25% of their ability. 

Winnall was considerably worse value for money than Fletcher, which therein highlights how much money we’ve spaffed up the wall.

Can keep going with this, because for instance if we really are paying £18k per week for Marriott wages, then 25k per week for bannan is good value in contrast! 

I agree we should lower our wage ceiling, with that we have to accept we will be hit and miss with players in that bracket as we have with other players in that pay range in our squad.