Barry (back pass) Bannan

If we have given him a reasonable contract then we are stuck with him. Why leave when you're most likely to be a squad player in any other championship team. It has been said for years that any other team would take him but it never materialises I don't even know if Brentford confirmed any interest in the so called 1 million deal.

We have a player with very good close control but he does not know how to defend and yet insists on dropping into the back four. I guess if you take it on a percentage of efforts he does not provide many assists and turns us into a long ball side. He is no good at shooting, quite slow to pass forward along the ground, can't beat a man nor head the ball well, and his dead ball situations are not that clever.  We drag off our lone centre forwards around the hour mark suggesting they are knackered but by then the whole team have dropped back towards our own box meaning that more and more chase or fight balls are put up for them to contest. 

I would suggest his brain is not that good as he should know coming into the area near Palmer and Lees leads to outright panic and one of them booting the ball anywhere. 

If he is to be any use we have to give him a total free ride and insist he stays further up the field, of course we have to get a lot more energetic and physically capable players to allow this to happen.

1 minute ago, Doctor Duran said:

Was our best footballer.  Shadow of his former self these days..

Ever thought why? Could it be 3 years ago he looked up and was picking out FF, Hooper, Wallace, Fletcher et al. He looks up now and is trying to feed a totally different level of footballer. Bannan ain’t the problem. 

• Like 4

Just now, Doctor Duran said:

Was our best footballer.  Shadow of his former self these days..

Go on then, who's better than Bannan?

I asked this the other day and so far we've got Shaw who may as well as stayed at home last night because he had zero impact on the game and he won't even be here in a few weeks and the other one offered to me was Iorfa. Yeah, decent but a centre half who has played 10 games this season and has a bad injury to recover from.

Just now, vulva said:

Ever thought why? Could it be 3 years ago he looked up and was picking out FF, Hooper, Wallace, Fletcher et al. He looks up now and is trying to feed a totally different level of footballer. Bannan ain’t the problem. 

It's not rocket science is it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Glenn59 said:

I don't get this cult status he has with some fans, way past his sell by date

Fully agree. I also don't get it when people say he's our biggest creative threat, what does he create????????

You don't get points from 50 yard floaty passes.

When was the last time he dominated control of a midfield?

Pundits are the same, I just don't get it.

• Like 1

Just now, vulva said:

Bannan is very much part of the problem.   We have runners in Reach / Windass and Harris - Bannan prefers to play the ball backwards to Lee or Hutchinson.

Bannan rarely ventures over the half way line and tends to lose the ball more.

• Like 1

We needed a central midfield partner in January and brought in Hutch, who'd we'd off-loaded to practically sunny non-league, and Green who we didn't need. Both hadn't played for a couple of months or so.

BB has done his best - that's it. He represents our deterioration from a new positive team in 15/16, to an unrecognisable shambles in 2021. Is it his fault - no, you can't pin it on him, but i would be interested to know his thoughts on why it has happened and what he personally can do to change it. Hopefully Moore is doing that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Go on then, who's better than Bannan?

I asked this the other day and so far we've got Shaw who may as well as stayed at home last night because he had zero impact on the game and he won't even be here in a few weeks and the other one offered to me was Iorfa. Yeah, decent but a centre half who has played 10 games this season and has a bad injury to recover from.

Definatley not Shaw.   I would say Reach has a better more forward thinking football brain and defends better.

But currently none of the team deserve the mantle of best footballer at the club.

10 hours ago, ANDY said:

90% of his passes today were played back

Loads of possession in our last third on the left, bannan and reach so frustrating and negative, never look to go forward and Darren Moore thinks this is playing on the front foot, beats me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Fully agree. I also don't get it when people say he's our biggest creative threat, what does he create????????

You don't get points from 50 yard floaty passes.

When was the last time he dominated control of a midfield?

Pundits are the same, I just don't get it.

To defend pundits they do not know many of our players nor which position they normally play in so it is easier to go with the ones they know.

Almost universally the pundits will state that Rhodes is the best striker ever at this level yet a lot of Wednesday fans think otherwise.

Opinion but had we managed to get Hourihane from Barnsley  we would have seen a much better goal return from Winnal, Rhodes and Mathias.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

Bannan is very much part of the problem.   We have runners in Reach / Windass and Harris - Bannan prefers to play the ball backwards to Lee or Hutchinson.

Bannan rarely ventures over the half way line and tends to lose the ball more.

Because he’s dropping deeper and deeper to pick the ball up because we don’t have the quality to keep hold of it further up the pitch. Bannan is guilty of trying to be all things to all men, and is falling short as a result. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Because he’s dropping deeper and deeper to pick the ball up because we don’t have the quality to keep hold of it further up the pitch. Bannan is guilty of trying to be all things to all men, and is falling short as a result. 

But why does he do it..  we have Joey / Hutch / Borner  who can play a ball from defensive position.

Why does he feel he needs to be that man all the time..  and has done for last 2 seasons now.

He's not good enough to do it.

Get further up the pitch and dictate play in an attacking sense - that's the "best footballer" at the club role he should be in..  not sitting deep trying to ping balls around the pitch losing possession putting us under needless pressure.

He's got into a comfortable habit and its to our detriment, stifling our attacking players by giving them awful balls to try and hold up.

Get further up the pitch FGS.

Don't get me wrong - Bannan is not the only issue,  we badly need that box-box runner alongside him.

Previous years we had players like Lee / Hutchinson (not this version) / Lopez who took the pressure off - now we have a couple of kids (Shaw/Hunt) and constant injured Luongo (who we hoped could be that player) and bless him Joey P..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vulva said:

He's inconsistent though. Last night, when Hudders had the ball in their half, the 3 forwards did a bit of tracking/pressing, but neither Pelupessy nor BB where supporting this - they were 30 yrds back on the half way line - often stood 10 yrds apart, marking no one. 

Every now and again BB is tearing around closing their keeper down - waving his arms around at his colleagues, presumably saying, 'why am i having to do this?'.

We don't seem to have a joined-up plan of roles and responsibilities, and as captain BB must control this and make sure players step up. 

I agree BB wants to control all the ball play, and Pelupessy simply passes to him at most points when he receives the ball. Is this a plan, or simply become the norm as other players just don't either have the ability or confidence to do something creative.

Guest Derby owl
10 hours ago, ANDY said:

90% of his passes today were played back

I've said before  bannan needs good players around him to make those passes forward but he looks up and doesn't see any, he needs players that can control the ball make a one two with.

He misses the likes of Kieran lee, ross wallace, gary Hooper etc, in a better side he would fine.

Just now, Doctor Duran said:

But why does he do it..  we have Joey / Hutch / Borner  who can play a ball from defensive position.

Why does he feel he needs to be that man all the time..  and has done for last 2 seasons now.

He's not good enough to do it.

Get further up the pitch and dictate play in an attacking sense - that's the "best footballer" at the club role he should be in..  not sitting deep trying to ping balls around the pitch losing possession putting us under needless pressure.

He's got into a comfortable habit and its to our detriment, stifling our attacking players by giving them awful balls to try and hold up.

Get further up the pitch FGS.

Don't get me wrong - Bannan is not the only issue,  we badly need that box-box runner alongside him.

Previous years we had players like Lee / Hutchinson (not this version) / Lopez who took the pressure off - now we have a couple of kids (Shaw/Hunt) and constant injured Luongo (who we hoped could be that player) and bless him Joey P..

The idea is Bannan picks the ball up from the back 4, and then hits a big striker, or plays the wide men in behind the full back. He’s picking up the ball and seeing neither. And we are getting stuck. Poor teams play too deep, because they haven’t got enough pace or strength up front. We are a poor team. 

There a variety of reasons why we are getting relegated, but I still think had we brought in a couple of centre forwards in January, we might have escaped.