Barry (back pass) Bannan

Everyone always says how much would it cost to replace with better? The lad o Brien for the dog botherers looked to play in a similar style to Bannan, similar stature only he was a lot more athletic and positive and much stronger on his weaker foot. He’s probably on 50% of Bannan wage at the most. 

He was free.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Everyone always says how much would it cost to replace with better? The lad o Brien for the dog botherers looked to play in a similar style to Bannan, similar stature only he was a lot more athletic and positive and much stronger on his weaker foot. He’s probably on 50% of Bannan wage at the most. 

He was free.

This, this.... a million times this. 

Is Bannan a good player, sure! Do we get value for money?? No foooking way. 

Every midfield we come up against I find myself envious of their ability to: 

- Pass & Move

- Make runs into box 

- Win headers 

- Track runners

- Mark us out of game

- Shoot

- Tackle

Maybe I’m older fashioned, but you’d think that skill set was a prerequisite for a central midfielder. 

While Bannan may have the odd moment of magic on his locker, if he can’t do the above it’s no wonder we lose midfield battle each and every game to players paid a lot less than he gets.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smhouston said:

When you have no movement around you what do you expect? We so miss Lee around him having that football brain

It's no coincidence when we lost the better footballing players (i.e. Hooper / Lee) he's gone downhill

This.

Bannan would do a good job as a deep lying midfielder if there was a bit of talent around him.

Lee, Hooper, FF, Wallace, even Nuhiu, all wanted the ball and could generally control and do something with the fkin thing when they got it.

Our current lot either hide from it and treat it like a hot potato when they've got it or can't do owt with it when they have it.

I love how it’s everyone else’s fault when Bannan has a bad game.

The best passer of a ball at our club has the ball in acres of space with supposedly no options to pass too...::

So he does a nice pirouette, turns toward our own goal and passes the ball 25 yards to Tom Lees or Kieran Westwood, to lump the ball forward instead.

Cheers best player.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

This.

Bannan would do a good job as a deep lying midfielder if there was a bit of talent around him.

Lee, Hooper, FF, Wallace, even Nuhiu, all wanted the ball and could generally control and do something with the fkin thing when they got it.

Our current lot either hide from it and treat it like a hot potato when they've got it or can't do owt with it when they have it.

Every time he plays it forward it is easily cut out by opposition defenders. The long floaty passes are so easy for defenders to sort. But it’s never Bazzas fault.

If I was Barry Bannan I’d get myself as far away from this club as possible. 

Id now be thinking, if this many people really think I’m a big part of the problem, all the sh*t I’m getting, b*llocks to it and see how you go without me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Remember, Fletcher was apparently overpaid, injured etc etc 

Forestieri, child, one good season , always injured, get rid 

Fox, crap, worst player in club 

Even Jack Hunt copped it.

Theres many of these examples. 

One things for certain, every single replacement for the above players haven’t even come close to replacing them, and it’ll be the same with Bannan.

Whilst we plummet down the league and they find a job at a better club. 

Edited by WhiteOwl91
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Every time he plays it forward it is easily cut out by opposition defenders. The long floaty passes are so easy for defenders to sort. But it’s never Bazzas fault.

On the flip side every single game you start with the Bannan criticism no matter how wel he plays

Every single opportunity 

Over and over and over 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

You’re right Ronnie. Get rid of the best players first. I’m all for replacing any of this team if we can bring better in. I still

think we’re better off shipping out the likes of Pelupessy first but perhaps it’s just me. 

I think the issue at the moment is trying to find any 'best players' ? With most people of the view that anyone else would actually be better as these are so poor and gutless

How many tackles did we win last night...

Bannan is offering very little at the moment and this is due to the absolute garbage around him.  In a better team with players moving and tracking around him with an attacking imputus he would be back to the level we have expected. 

As it is it is like he is scurrying through quick sand unable to influence the game. 

The Captaincy is also a bad decision - he is not a leader.  If Tom Lees doesn't want the Captaincy I would have given it straight to Hutch on his return or even when playing give it to Pelupessey as was Captain of his team in Holland and wondered if it may assist him.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BIG D said:

Just a reminder to everyone.

When you’re rebuilding a team you always get shut of the best players first.

Agreed, that's what we've done,

now let's get rid of the rest.

He's clearly had a good career here but over the last few years he has declined quite sharply.

He isn't one of the best midfielders in the championship and I don't actually thibk he ever has been. That's why there's only been one rumour of a side potentially putting in an offer which didn't materialise.....why haven't other offers materialised? Everyone else in football must be seeing something else compared to our blue and white tinted glasses fanbase?? 

I get that he's not playing with as much quality as he used to but surely after 2 or 3 years he should realise this and engage brain before trying to play Hollywood balls left right and Centre no?? 

Case in point last night, he did a lovely pirouette (for umpteenth time) and was in acres of space and without even looking up just launched the ball forward about 10 feet above Rhodes head and general direction. Ball lost yet again, hudds have possession rinse and repeat. If those around you aren't moving JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE FFS. He isn't blameless and shoulders some of the blame. 

He isn't the same player anymore and as others have pointed out many other clubs have similar players with more attributes for a fraction of the price. I think he, and the rest of our midfield, would only have a chance of getting in Wycombes team and that's all that needs to be said. 

Not good enough in 2021.

• Like 2

This is not a knee jerk reaction to last nights loss and I have expressed this opinion along with a few others on this board  for at least 18 months.

Bannan is not effective enough in central midfield his weaknesses outway his positives  and it is part of the reason we have not dominated midfield for 3 seasons.

Technically he is good and should be played wide left as an attacking midfield player, where his lack of physicality is not a problem and there is no need for the Hollywood balls.

Tonite when he moved wide to supplement the attack he played a couple of lovely defence splitting short passes, the type that are common in the premier league but no one else in our team can see or is capable of playing.

In midfield we have sorely missed Luongo who does the midfield graft that Kieran Lee used to do.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Been poor for last two season and a sad major factor of our decline.

Not brilliant on the assist's and goal chart.. in fact pretty poor.

Think the Captains armband in weighing heavy for him.  Not a on pitch leader in fact i see more berating than encouraging.

Terrible floaty set pieces which we all know make is so easy for a defender or keeper.

This season his passes are going more astray - straight out of touch and now has decided to sit back in front

of the defence - I'm sure this is where he insists he plays.  And more and more passes going backwards.

Losing out on challenges these days.

But all our play is centered around him to our detriment.

Basically we are in a complete mess.  

The old guard need to go - Bannan, Lees, Hutch, Westwood, Reach , Rhodes - all now bang average players.

You've got niegh one £200k a week in wages there.

Were told of a disjointed unit / bad eggs blah blah blah.. when the above have been paid very handsomely. 

But nobody actually says anything other than good feeling at the club/players.

There was a really innocuous moment early in the second half that really got me yesterday.

Bannan had the ball deep inside our midfield third to the left of the pitch. He turned diagnonally back and left, and passed it to I think Borner, who was close to the left touchline and just inside our defensive third. He looked up, and played a 15 yard ball down the line to Reach who is facing the wrong way on the halfway line. It's a passage of play you see week in and week out at all levels of football... the second Reach gets his foot on the ball, I'm looking at that inside left channel on the halfway line awaiting Bannan to be offloaded with a little inside pass. He's not there. I look back to where Bannan originally released the ball to Borner... he's standing there, 10/15 yards behind the halfway line with his arms outstretched looking to receive the ball back as two defenders prompty close Reach down. 5 seconds later the ball is back with Westwood.

Now 9 times out of 10, the centre midfielder would do a run forward and receive the inside pass, breaking through the defensive midfield line and actually facing the opposition goal with the ball at his feet. But not our Bannan. That would be too easy, or too much work off the ball. No, he will petulantly stand in that deep playmaker position, where 50 yard crossfield Hollywood-style passes are required... and then because there's no midfield runners, all our play ends up facing away from the way we want to go, so we have to pass it backwards.

It really annoyed me. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2