Barry (back pass) Bannan

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

Imagine being an opposing coach tho...a couple of times round the mixer in the least threatening area on the pitch and then a hopeful punt squirted out which gives you possession back.

It's the easiest afternoon you'll get.

Said it many times on here but according to the experts it’s because everyone else is rubbish.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

This is it, he is not running into space for the ball. It’s easy to criticise everyone else’s lack of movement but Bannan only moves into safe areas to receive the ball. 

He doesn’t run to space, he rarely runs at all but that’s another argument. He doesn’t give and go. He wants to play at walking pace. Seeing a less technically gifted player like shaw, run to receive, give and go, busy a guy to support was a breath of fresh air this season.

I’d rather three all round players that may lack his ability to one in ten games carry off a magic moment but offer effort, robustness, desire, bravery..... 

3 Pelupessys then?

2 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Said it many times on here but according to the experts it’s because everyone else is rubbish.

Furthering my analogy..if I were an opposing coach I'd be concerned if I saw that Bannan was operating on the left side of midfield or the position in behind a front two.

It would make me feel that my goal is being threatened and I needed to tighten my shape or put another body in there before we get unlocked.

But he's not going to be there so we can camp in midfield and control things.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ANDY said:

90% of his passes today were played back

Barry, Tom, Liam P, Joey P, Adam R.

Even throw ins go back.

Udders played most of the game in our half last night. Simply because of these negative tactics. I don't think DM can be blamed for that. This set of players have done the same thing under four different managers. 

It was only when the young lads came on that we started looking forward.

2 hours ago, 83owl said:

Everyone always says how much would it cost to replace with better? The lad o Brien for the dog botherers looked to play in a similar style to Bannan, similar stature only he was a lot more athletic and positive and much stronger on his weaker foot. He’s probably on 50% of Bannan wage at the most. 

He was free.

Well maybe these are not entirely accurate but I'm guessing they wont be far out but our man Bannan is on £27000 a week, while O'Brien is on £3000 a week. Goes to show there is far better value out there but the press and pundits keep telling us that Bannan is a fantastic footballer.

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/sheffield-wednesday/

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/huddersfield-town/

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, BIG D said:

3 Pelupessys then?

Luongo Shaw and FDB from squad we have, or Joey, Shaw & Brown.... 

Im not sure if without Bannan we can increase overall quality. By spreading his large salary across two lessor salaries. 

Barnsley's entire midfield cost in salary terms less than Bannan. Who gets better value? 

31 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Surely the problem is that we've not recruited the right players to play next to him and compliment him? 

Why would you buy players to compliment Pelupessy for example? 

Instead of blaming Bannan and his salary, blame whats been brought in around him and peepeed up the wall. 

This team would be even worse without Bannan. Nobody else even wants the ball, let alone able to control it or actually hold on to it. 

If we spent bannans wages on 3x players for the same expense, who are all up and coming, talented players then fine. But wheres the evidence that we will even get close to that? 

We'd end up recruiting another JP or another David Jones type player whos over the hill.

No, absolutely not. The problem is, we signed Bannan cheaply on what I imagine was an affordable contract as he was a player with a point to prove. In that set up, he’s surrounded by better players lots also with similar points to prove; Lees, Lee, Westwood, Hutch, Fessi..... 

Now, once they’ve proved their point, realised potential we should have sold. Each and everyone of them. What we did was to offer bumper deals and inflate our salary to a position which was unsustainable. 

This means that we can only surround them with lessor players as they cost so much themselves. 

We should be trying to sign the next Bannan, the next Westwood, the next Fessi.... not doubling their salaries and letting them play until retirement, release. 

For the cost of one Barry Bannan you could have the entire Barnsley midfield. Yet our fans seem to see Bannan as a genius, our talisman, I’ve read hero and legend on here?? Why, what has he done? How does he deliver value for money? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

No, absolutely not. The problem is, we signed Bannan cheaply on what I imagine was an affordable contract as he was a player with a point to prove. In that set up, he’s surrounded by better players lots also with similar points to prove; Lees, Lee, Westwood, Hutch, Fessi..... 

Now, once they’ve proved their point, realised potential we should have sold. Each and everyone of them. What we did was to offer bumper deals and inflate our salary to a position which was unsustainable. 

This means that we can only surround them with lessor players as they cost so much themselves. 

We should be trying to sign the next Bannan, the next Westwood, the next Fessi.... not doubling their salaries and letting them play until retirement, release. 

For the cost of one Barry Bannan you could have the entire Barnsley midfield. Yet our fans seem to see Bannan as a genius, our talisman, I’ve read hero and legend on here?? Why, what has he done? How does he deliver value for money? 

You could have.

But our club wouldn't be capable of recruiting it, so we wouldn't ever get that.

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

You could have.

But our club wouldn't be capable of recruiting it, so we wouldn't ever get that.

But why? The same club that signed Westwood, Lees, Lee, Hutch, Bannan, Iorfa, Harris for combined fees less than 500k?? 

We don’t seem to have a problem signing good value players with points to prove. In fact our record is pretty good at that. Where we struggle is signing players who have already been there done it, proved their point elsewhere etc. 

Lately, our fanbase and chairman by and large have wanted, cheered for and made terrible decisions. Signing Rhodes, increasing salaries to Hutch, Westwood, Bannan, Lees Forrestieri etc rather than selling in their prime. It’s easy to shell blame to a know nothing Owner. But huge amounts of his mistakes were exactly what know it all’s wanted too? 

I was hopeful we’d learnt. We would clear the decks of overpaid, underperforming ‘stars’ and we’d go a different direction but Bannan resigning, Hutch returning and Simpson training fulls me with far more fear than us getting rid of our best player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

Playing passes around in our third of the field is a gift for opposition teams.

I've yet to hear a good reason why we do it.

Do that against the high energy, high line, front pressing front 3 of the  Dingles this weekend and we will get absolutely crucified.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

But why? The same club that signed Westwood, Lees, Lee, Hutch, Bannan, Iorfa, Harris for combined fees less than 500k?? 

We don’t seem to have a problem signing good value players with points to prove. In fact our record is pretty good at that. Where we struggle is signing players who have already been there done it, proved their point elsewhere etc. 

Lately, our fanbase and chairman by and large have wanted, cheered for and made terrible decisions. Signing Rhodes, increasing salaries to Hutch, Westwood, Bannan, Lees Forrestieri etc rather than selling in their prime. It’s easy to shell blame to a know nothing Owner. But huge amounts of his mistakes were exactly what know it all’s wanted too? 

I was hopeful we’d learnt. We would clear the decks of overpaid, underperforming ‘stars’ and we’d go a different direction but Bannan resigning, Hutch returning and Simpson training fulls me with far more fear than us getting rid of our best player. 

But which of those has the current ownership and regime recruited? 

More than half were already here before Chansiri arrived and Harris isn't even fit to be in the same breath as the rest of them on that list . 

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

But which of those has the current ownership and regime recruited? 

More than half were already here before Chansiri arrived and Harris isn't even fit to be in the same breath as the rest of them on that list . 

IMO all are good championship players that at point of signing delivered decent value for money. 

Even with best scouts in the world, how do you now go and try and sign players with a straight face offering market value while you have a bunch of players earning 20-30k per week on the books. 

We need a full reset and Bannan is part of the bunch that needs shifting.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Barry, Tom, Liam P, Joey P, Adam R.

Even throw ins go back.

Udders played most of the game in our half last night. Simply because of these negative tactics. I don't think DM can be blamed for that. This set of players have done the same thing under four different managers. 

It was only when the young lads came on that we started looking forward.

All of them need to be gone for us to progress.

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

IMO all are good championship players that at point of signing delivered decent value for money. 

Even with best scouts in the world, how do you now go and try and sign players with a straight face offering market value while you have a bunch of players earning 20-30k per week on the books. 

We need a full reset and Bannan is part of the bunch that needs shifting.

Exactly a young up and coming CM being brought into our club from L1 or L2 should be on £3k-£6k at a guess?

Imagine trying to sell that when he’s playing next to Bannan on £20k+ and £30k KW who spends most of the season sat at home.

• Love 1

Guest Therealrealist
51 minutes ago, Guesswhosback said:

He will defo be sold in the summer.

he only signed a contract so the club would get some cash for him as a favour to DC.

1.5M-2M he will go for. 

lol 🙈

IMHO, Bannan with his cross field and backward passing, epitomises the lack of urgency, confidence and positivity that seems to run through the whole team.

If your captain and so called talisman player isn’t looking to be positive and get us playing on the front foot, then it affects the mindset of everyone else playing alongside him

• Like 1