Barry (back pass) Bannan

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Problem being whilst Winnall was on 50-70% of Hooper and Fletcher’s wage

He wasn’t even 25% of their ability. 

Winnall was considerably worse value for money than Fletcher, which therein highlights how much money we’ve spaffed up the wall.

Can keep going with this, because for instance if we really are paying £18k per week for Marriott wages, then 25k per week for bannan is good value in contrast! 

I agree we should lower our wage ceiling, with that we have to accept we will be hit and miss with players in that bracket as we have with other players in that pay range in our squad. 

When we signed Winnall he had scored more championship goals in previous 12 months than any other player. He may of lacked star quality but he was a perfectly adequate championship player. Doubling his salary would have still been a good move for him, but knowing the other forwards are on double/tremble that again and you’re out scoring them means you ask for more. He had done pretty well in trailing 12 months for someone with 1/4 the ability of our stars. 

This is our/your problem. Just like with Bannan you choose to believe the higher paid player is better, but they deliver or were delivering less at the time we signed him. 

Ah well, I guess you’re an advocate of paying highest ticket prices. Got to find these non performing superstars somehow! 

5 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Or maybe he just constantly wants to play the glory pass cos when it comes off he looks great on the highlights. I think his ego takes over no matter how many managers tell him to play further up field.

Can't argue with that cos it's pure conjecture.

Opinions, ar seholes an all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

When we signed Winnall he had scored more championship goals in previous 12 months than any other player. He may of lacked star quality but he was a perfectly adequate championship player. Doubling his salary would have still been a good move for him, but knowing the other forwards are on double/tremble that again and you’re out scoring them means you ask for more. He had done pretty well in trailing 12 months for someone with 1/4 the ability of our stars. 

This is our/your problem. Just like with Bannan you choose to believe the higher paid player is better, but they deliver or were delivering less at the time we signed him. 

Ah well, I guess you’re an advocate of paying highest ticket prices. Got to find these non performing superstars somehow! 

Not really. I pointed out some of the higher paid players have contributed and were better than lesser players who were still paid a fortune.

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Not to mention this bit, look at both Fletcher and Hoopers career history and tell me they shouldn’t have easily been paid more than Sam Winnall at the time who’d had only a good 12 months. 

Im not suggesting we should pay masses of money for big names either before you push me down that line.

My point was whilst the top paid players get all the flack, there’s a whole tier of players we’ve had between 10-20k (Winnall, Marriott, Van Aken, Etc) who don’t get the focus but have actually turned out even worse value for money. 

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Not to mention this bit, look at both Fletcher and Hoopers career history and tell me they shouldn’t have easily been paid more than Sam Winnall at the time who’d had only a good 12 months. 

Im not suggesting we should pay masses of money for big names either before you push me down that line.

My point was whilst the top paid players get all the flack, there’s a whole tier of players we’ve had between 10-20k (Winnall, Marriott, Van Aken, Etc) who don’t get the focus but have actually turned out even worse value for money. 

Once the flood gates are opened its hard to stop, JvA doesn’t get 20k if Lees and Hutch aren’t already raking it in. Winnall the same with Hooper and Fletcher. 

My point is that the club (and seemingly many fans) would rather pay for past glories and reputations than lesser known, lesser skilled players EVEN when those players cost less, deliver more! 

Almost every team we’ve played has a midfield that dominates ours despite us having some of the highest paid players in the league. We just don’t get value for money as many clubs are proving with less costly squads far exceeding our performances.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Once the flood gates are opened its hard to stop, JvA doesn’t get 20k if Lees and Hutch aren’t already raking it in. Winnall the same with Hooper and Fletcher. 

My point is that the club (and seemingly many fans) would rather pay for past glories and reputations than lesser known, lesser skilled players EVEN when those players cost less, deliver more! 

Almost every team we’ve played has a midfield that dominates ours despite us having some of the highest paid players in the league. We just don’t get value for money as many clubs are proving with less costly squads far exceeding our performances.

I think in general you pay more for players who have proven their ability because there’s a higher percentage chance they will deliver. 

But that’s only if you can afford it and sustain it. We can’t. And even then there’s no guarantee it will work - see Almen Abdi. 

Not to mention it’s one thing bringing in players on reputation for big money, it’s another actually blending a squad that works and fits. Even when we were in the playoffs we fell wel short of that with nonsensical signings. 

Signings of Boyd, Abdi, Rhodes etc are absolutely that point. 

I do agree that if you’re not going to sign players to make up for your big salary players weaknesses (ie bannan being lightweight) then you may as well not bother having said big money player.

49 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

What midfield?

Our midfield didn't used to get dominated when he had a well constructed base of a squad that included Bannan. 

18 hours ago, Philb125 said:

At the ground were you? Or are you trying to spot off the ball runs on iFollow? I mean half the time they don’t show on the ball runs?? But are you saying somehow you’re able to see the runs and movement from their production? 

I think you must have your zoom on if you can only see the player on the ball at any one time. 

What a strange post.

Its pretty easy to see if there are players moving to receive the ball or not.

Obviously you think our movement off the ball is fantastic and its why we look so dangerous in every game?

53 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I think you must have your zoom on if you can only see the player on the ball at any one time. 

What a strange post.

Its pretty easy to see if there are players moving to receive the ball or not.

Obviously you think our movement off the ball is fantastic and its why we look so dangerous in every game?

No, not at all - I just think you saying you're watching players off the ball through a TV broadcast is pretty laughable. You do you though. UTO.

30 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Apologies if this has been answered but how can we keep Bannan next season in league one if the cap on wages is 7k? 

Wage cap been scrapped I think. Also I think it only applies to new signings.

• Thanks 1

On 17/03/2021 at 22:41, Lord Snooty said:

He'd look terrific in a good side.

He's a midget. 

A technically very good midget.

In a team that flows, moves the balls, where players exchanges passes and positions , he's one of the better "Footballers" in the division. 

We do none of those things.

And, with us, neither does he.

Exactly.

Interesting to see on wednesday our two best chances (windass goal-Rhodes pass-Pelupessy head down to Rhodes) and the Paterson chance (kachunga through ball after linking with Palmer down the right) neither of which Bannan wasn’t involved in at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bannan is an excellent player, which is a blessing and a curse.   Given the dross we have around him, the opposition for some time have deployed some simple defensive tactics against us that almost always work:

1.  Push the central striker up the pitch as neither Rhodes, Paterson or Kachunga have the pace to get in behind

2.  Show Harris inside when he runs at you as he is less effective inside than outside.

3.  Bully Reach off the left touchline so he ends up drifting inside where he is ineffective.  

4.  Focus on Bannan - push him deep, and squeeze his ability to pass forwards accurately

5.  Dont worry about the full/ wing backs. 

Job done.  Sheffield Wednesday nullified.

Bannan will only 'thrive' with better players around him that can hurt teams and create spaces in ways we cant.

• Like 1