Wilder Sacked, all Sheffield's at it!

Just now, StudentOwl said:

All the more bizarre considering it's almost a year to the day that the entire country stopped moving and Covid swept across the country...

Yep.

There'll be people reading that who have been recently bereaved and won't take kindly to Biggs' comparing their grief to the feelings of a group of footballers whose manager has left his job.

• Like 4

On 12/03/2021 at 10:49, @owlstalk said:

They don't in private

Wednesday fans have been brought up to believe that if they are seen to be "Rarrrr I'd rather United were in the Vauxhall conference rarrrr rarrrrr" then it makes them appear to be bigger/better fans of our club

(same goes for all clubs/fans with rivalaries)

In reality both teams in the Premier League would bring so many benefits to everyone, each club and most importantly our city that everyone benefits

Posturing in public or amongst their peer group/mates doesn't change that

The only people who pretend to fall for it are the people in their peer group or group of mates - but they don't really believe it either - so what you have is groups of mates all trying to convince each other that they're proper fans because they want the rivals to be in lower divisions etc - whilst at the same time none of that peer group actually really believe it

It's really sad but at the same time funny when you see it happening when you know whats' really going on

lol

Thanks for explaining how & why I behave think & feel as I do

As I understand it, it’s all to do with jealousy surrounding ******** size or my mothers breasts ?

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I know he's hardly the sharpest tool in the box, but that's such a crass, tone-deaf thing to say, even by Biggs' standards.

Comparing a football manager leaving to a bereavement and talking about 'losing someone'?

Embarrassing.

That's what I thought. What a strange comparison; especially given the tricky period the world is in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep.

There'll be people reading that who have been recently bereaved and won't take kindly to Biggs' comparing their grief to the feelings of a group of footballers whose manager has left his job.

Exactly Right.Starting to lose respect for Mr Biggs now given what he said.

• Like 1

Its interesting that when everyone (including the Poundland Pricnce) talks about Wilder's financial failures in the transfer market they talk only of Brewster and Ramsdale, yet don't mention the likes of Berge who could potentially make more profit for them on his own this summer than anything they paid for those 2.

Even the best managers make mistakes and probably in about the same ratio Wilder has

24 minutes ago, Ian said:

Its interesting that when everyone (including the Poundland Pricnce) talks about Wilder's financial failures in the transfer market they talk only of Brewster and Ramsdale, yet don't mention the likes of Berge who could potentially make more profit for them on his own this summer than anything they paid for those 2.

Even the best managers make mistakes and probably in about the same ratio Wilder has

Berge is likely to have been sourced by the director of football that the prince brought in a while ago that ignited much of the tensions. Berge is a decent player but did not fit at all with Wilder's system, the win ratio with him in the team is abysmal. 

Berge cost them around £22M. Ramsdale and Brewster combined cost over £40M so for them to make more profit on his own than what they paid for those two he is going to need to fetch a huge fee in the current climate for someone who has been out injured for months and will be part of a Championship team.

6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Berge is likely to have been sourced by the director of football that the prince brought in a while ago that ignited much of the tensions. Berge is a decent player but did not fit at all with Wilder's system, the win ratio with him in the team is abysmal. 

Berge cost them around £22M. Ramsdale and Brewster combined cost over £40M so for them to make more profit on his own than what they paid for those two he is going to need to fetch a huge fee in the current climate for someone who has been out injured for months and will be part of a Championship team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Berge fetch £50m in the current market, he's been touted by some big clubs and is still going. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Berge fetch £50m in the current market, he's been touted by some big clubs and is still going. 

I cant see anyone paying much more than they paid for him

He is a championship player now, he has been part of a very poor team, he has been injured and they wont need to pay that much because they will want him and his wages off the books

Don't forget the prince has already borrowed next seasons PL money, and that was based on them staying up, not going down with less money

4 minutes ago, the third man said:

I cant see anyone paying much more than they paid for him

He is a championship player now, he has been part of a very poor team, he has been injured and they wont need to pay that much because they will want him and his wages off the books

Don't forget the prince has already borrowed next seasons PL money, and that was based on them staying up, not going down with less money

The Prince also said some players have relegation release clauses in their contracts. Would imagine he is probably one of them and I wouldn't think the fee is anywhere near 50m.

I think it's been evident for a while that Wilder tended to like British players. He needed to look further a-field and when support in that area was offered he gurned.

He's just another Bassett - both ideally suited for the insular fan-base.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

50 mill for berge tho 😂😁😆🙈

They'll be lucky to get back what they paid for him.

He was watched by all the big boys but none of them were willing to take a punt.

Instead they let one of the little boys take the risk and nurture him, that didn't turn out well, and then when he's the real deal they move in .

Happens all the time.

1 hour ago, Animis said:

I think it's been evident for a while that Wilder tended to like British players. He needed to look further a-field and when support in that area was offered he gurned.

He's just another Bassett - both ideally suited for the insular fan-base.

British/Scottish/Irish players served Wilder well though. He probably knows what he's going to get character wise. He brought players in he knew had the right attitudes and physical abilities.

The problem with foreign players, you don't really know what you're going to get. You can't see from watching videos or 3rd hand reports the players character and demeanour. 

There is a risk with foreign players they will not be a good fit as we have found out many times to our cost.

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

British/Scottish/Irish players served Wilder well though. He probably knows what he's going to get character wise. He brought players in he knew had the right attitudes and physical abilities.

The problem with foreign players, you don't really know what you're going to get. You can't see from watching videos or 3rd hand reports the players character and demeanour. 

There is a risk with foreign players they will not be a good fit as we have found out many times to our cost.

Yeah, but the same could be said of buying lower league players and unproven youngsters.

If foreign players were such a gamble then why is the top league littered with them.

Also, I dont buy this idea you dont know what you're getting. You'll scout them, watch videos etc., like you would for any other player.

Shef U weren't going to be able to maintain their position in the top flight without broadening their horizons a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, but the same could be said of buying lower league players and unproven youngsters.

If foreign players were such a gamble then why is the top league littered with them.

Also, I dont buy this idea you dont know what you're getting. You'll scout them, watch videos etc., like you would for any other player.

Shef U weren't going to be able to maintain their position in the top flight without broadening their horizons a bit.

But it is more of a risk with foreign players. You have the added issues of having to give them time to adjust to a different country and culture, weather etc. Some just can't adjust and settle.

It is much easier to go and watch players play if they're in this country, speak to other scouts/coaches who know the player. Rather than watch videos that only highlight their good points and rely on the word of agents or dodgy foreign advisors.

As I said we have had our fingers burned so many times with foreign players at great financial cost to the club.