10 minutes ago, Jamie_W said:

It was a cracking deal and we thought we'd had their pants down. Obvious jokes aside, nobody here could have realistically predicted he'd have suddenly become lethal as soon as he left Hillsborough after what we'd seen over the years he was here.

I did :ph34r:

I think the assumption that he would have come anywhere near this good had he stayed here is, shall we say, incredibly foolish though. Absolutely not a chance in hell. Just like you can't fulfill your full potential at a bad, or even merely a stale, work environment... so can't footballers.

A fresh start can work wonders in all regards.

Edited by StudentOwl

Theres  page after page of people on here crying out for a 20 goal a season striker.

What do we do when we already have one? Play him out wide,sub him off,undermine his confidence.

Lucas Joao always had the potential to score 20 goals,he just needed a manager to believe in that and play him central and boost his confidence.

All the lame comments about him not being able to do it here are a load of bull,what are we gunna do if  sign a proven 20 goal striker,play him down the sides and sub him off,stick him on the bench and say hel never score 20 for us,then flog him off on the cheap to go and do it for another club?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, legendaryswan said:

Theres  page after page of people on here crying out for a 20 goal a season striker.

What do we do when we already have one? Play him out wide,sub him off,undermine his confidence.

Lucas Joao always had the potential to score 20 goals,he just needed a manager to believe in that and play him central and boost his confidence.

All the lame comments about him not being able to do it here are a load of bull,what are we gunna do if  sign a proven 20 goal striker,play him down the sides and sub him off,stick him on the bench and say hel never score 20 for us,then flog him off on the cheap to go and do it for another club?

Same thing playing Adam Reach anywhere other than left wing, Matt Penney at left fullback etc

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

To be fair, the Joao deal should form the blueprint for how we conduct transfer business:

• Sign young player with potential on a 4 (?) year contract

• Extend their contract when they’ve got ~18 months left to run

• Sell the player for more than 2x what we paid plus a decent sell on %

The next step would be to reinvest some of the profit in a young, promising replacement and begin the cycle again... but... well... this is Chansiri FC we’re talking about, normal business practices don’t apply here 

Joao was always going to turn into the striker he has done. He will also still improve. He will be playing in the Prem next season with or without Reading.

At Wednesday he was always played out wide, having to track back and do donkey work.

Only under Jos did he get an extended run as a CF and him and Nuhui scored loads, keeping us in the process.

Lucas Joao has everything you want in a striker and everything the current lot we call strikers don't.

It's been done to death but we had Joao all along and still decide to sign Winnall and Rhodes on deadline day pushing him further down the pecking order. We never once gave Joao a proper go at being the main man despite that brief spell under Jos - where by all accounts he showed the form he does now!!

29 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

To be fair, the Joao deal should form the blueprint for how we conduct transfer business:

• Sign young player with potential on a 4 (?) year contract

• Extend their contract when they’ve got ~18 months left to run

• Sell the player for more than 2x what we paid plus a decent sell on %

The next step would be to reinvest some of the profit in a young, promising replacement and begin the cycle again... but... well... this is Chansiri FC we’re talking about, normal business practices don’t apply here 

Please stop referring Sheffield Wednesday as Chansiri FC, might give the numpty some ideas

Spoiler

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Exactly, our management of this player was criminal, & some on here could see it.

A few batty posters on here, maybe after too much summer wine were creaming their wrinkled stocking when Nuhiu was starting in his place.

Edited by zzmdu
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 08:44, York_Owl said:

He scored 16 goals for forest playing on the wing and was sold after a season for 7 million. 

No way was selling him for 1.5m the season before a good deal.

Did you see him play season before that ? Believe me it was. But I meant the 4 million plus we ended up with 

He fits with Reading's, most other team's, set up and style of football. He's flourishing, which is what a lot of SWFC fans thought he was capable of having seen the odd glimpse of it when playing here.

Unfortunately we've hit route one desperate stage for the last three years and relied on Fletcher and Nuhiu as the target man and he was consequently pushed out.

Our style and approach has been painful to watch and lacks any depth to it, which players like Joao thrive on. FF and Hooper were great for Joao would could drift to find a bit of space and they'd find him. I for one am really please he's done well and hopes he gets his chance in the ELP, because he'll do well.

23 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

If we got 7 mill it was a cracking deal..nit one person shed a tear when he was sold

Exactly this, I wont criticise Chansiri for this one, we complain when we let players go for nothing, it would be churlish to complain when we actually got a fee.

Whatever the fee, can't help think he wouldn't have been capable of hitting those stats in this squad and he would have probably ran his contract down and left for free like everybody else does at this circus of a club. It was good business to sell and still is in my opinion, which is a strange thing to say considering he's one of the top scorers in the division. 

My biggest concern is I don't think enough money from the Joao sale was reinvested.  Was Patterson and Windass good business? You'd argue yes to bolster the squad but neither have convinced me they are more than that. 

On 06/03/2021 at 06:47, Daniele Giovanni said:

Gutted when he left, felt the same when Antonio left, its the Wednesday Way I guess

From what I remember where Antonia played was decided by his wife to some extent. He joined us so she could do law at Sheffield uni, then he went to Forest as she was studying in Nottingham then presumably got a well-paid job in London