Paul Cook interested

Guest T Hardy

Mick McCarthy has had an unbelievable impact at Cardiff City.

Nigel Pearson has got off to a good start at Bristol City.

Both were available when Chansiri got rid of Pulis.

In terms of staying up it is now going to be very dificult but Paul Cook could plan and get us organised for League One next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Paul Cook has serial promotions on his CV.

Perhaps through his time at Chesterfield he seems to have formed the view that SWFC could be a top club again.

He sees the potential at the club and if Alan Biggs is to be believed then he is prepared to work with DC.

A problem with relegation is that you keep hoping that maybe it can be turned round but as others on here have said it looks like League One next season is now highly likely.

Just about any Chairman in the EFL would do the logical thing in our position and bring Paul Cook in today.

Over to you DC and make it happen today!!!

In a fu**ing nutshell !!!!!

Clearly there is a group of managers and ex managers who will not consider working for Chansiri.

Paul Cook, if Alan Biggs is to be believed, does not seem to be put off.

Between now and the end of the season he could be working on a plan and the players needed to make a real challenge next season in League One.

He knows what is needed and how to win promotion.

Over to you DC.

14 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Managers want to work for biggish clubs..cook would rather work at a basket case club like ours then a well run club like Barnsley or summat..it’s an ego thing...

I had a quick scan of the Football League paper this morning, and there was an article on Paul Cook. The byline seemed to be that the reason he is still unemployed is that he wants a) a long term deal (i.e. different to Woodgate or Pearson) and b) he isn't particularly keen on working as a Head Coach in a continental style set-up. The article also mentioned that he felt - having proven himself at a succession of lower league clubs - that he was interested in a step up; a Championship Club that had the potential to be a Premiership Club. In that respect I could understand why we might still be of interest to him, but I just can't see Chansiri giving him the level of control he would want.

Personally I would take him tomorrow, but fear that unless he is allowed to build the side that he wants, he'll be doomed to failure like his predecessors.

I doubt Cook's genuinely interested, at least not while Chansiri's here.

More likely he was asked about us in some interview and diplomatically said it'd be a great job that he'd be interested in, instead of saying what he was thinking which was "F___ that, I'm not working for that ___head" 

3 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

The thing is, can anyone really be as stupid as that?

What worries me is that, for instance, he'd like to oust Paixao but can't.

Paixao for me is the biggest problem of all.

Let's say Cook were appointed and we're relegated, as expected.

Like Wilder, he's an in-depth knowledge of players at that level, and could doubtless polish diamonds too.

But where does that leave Paixao.

It's no surprise that he doesn't want Cook.

My view has always been Chansiri CANNOT get rid of Paxo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marro said:

Agree that Stuffing Balls is a huge part of the problem - someone who pursues their own interests / wants to maintain their power base / wants to line their own pocket.  It’s these death eaters we need to get out of the club.

If we were a well run club Cook could be a good appointment.  However no man has a chance of doing well under current ownership. That is my sadness, anger and frustration.

Spot on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I had a quick scan of the Football League paper this morning, and there was an article on Paul Cook. The byline seemed to be that the reason he is still unemployed is that he wants a) a long term deal (i.e. different to Woodgate or Pearson) and b) he isn't particularly keen on working as a Head Coach in a continental style set-up. The article also mentioned that he felt - having proven himself at a succession of lower league clubs - that he was interested in a step up; a Championship Club that had the potential to be a Premiership Club. In that respect I could understand why we might still be of interest to him, but I just can't see Chansiri giving him the level of control he would want.

Personally I would take him tomorrow, but fear that unless he is allowed to build the side that he wants, he'll be doomed to failure like his predecessors.

Chansiri must have seen what happened over the road: how a club which spent very little but operated a different system got to the promised land.

He must know that Cook knows the lower leagues, so why not appoint him?

It has to be Paixao who's the stumbling block.

Carlos could never have done what Wilder did, because he had no knowledge of players in this country, bar the very top ones.

That's why Paixao was engaged, and it's the terms of that engagement which needs to be uncovered.

The fans have a right to know what Paixao's status at the club actually is, but we're hampered due to the nature of the local media.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

This is even more of a no brainer now than it was immediately after Pulis went. 

There is absolutely no downside to either party apart from Paxo and by extension Chansiri losing a tiny bit of face.

For this reason it won't happen.

True.

But of the two of them, for me it's Paixao who's the biggest problem.

Cook would naturally want to choose his own players, and that makes Paxo surplus to requirements.

• Like 2

Is it merely ironic that DC calls Cook 'unprofessional' or downright laughable, couldn’t make it up extreme hypocrisy? 

We do still have a glimmer of a chance of staying up. It might be hanging by a thread but it’s a chance. FFS get Cook in and try to take that chance or at least give ourselves belief that we will come straight back next year. 

Edited by Devonstrix