Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Look

I've read this whole thread and heard everyone's opinions and it's fair to say that the fanbase has nailed it pretty much (just the odd one or two saying he should stay because he'a fan?)

Let me just put it this way to those people who think Shaw is some kind of traitor

You have the whole life ahead of you, you have a promising career ahead of you, you have opportunities and you're doing amazingly well so let me ask you this...

WOULD YOU TRUST YOUR WHOLE FUTURE AND CAREER TO DEJPHON CHANSIRI?

Shaw could have stayed in our hour of need, at least in the short term.

Unless Chansiri takes a hammer to his kneecaps, how can he ruin his career?

I mean, he's been getting picked here.

And if we go down a Championship club would come in for him anyway.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Daryl Catpiss said:

Also had no end of abuse for ten years or so. Im amazed he hasn't been hounded out before now.

Palmer has?

Can't say I've ever heard anything untoward directed his way

If anything, I've always thought the fact he's a Wednesdayite has bought him a fair bit of patience from the fanbase on the whole.

1 hour ago, SwellOwl said:

Celtic lost to St Mirren at home for first time since 1990. 

Rip that contract up Shaw, we are going places! 😎 

The way Celtic are going they might need him more than we do. They might change their mind about pre-contract agreements and put a bid in to take him now!

Hope he is not dreaming of playing under Neil Lennon......

38 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Celtic are a big fish in a little pool.

Yes, but they dwarf Wednesday and offer much better facilities in which to develop and train, as well as the opportunity to build a reputation on a bigger stage than Hillsborough.

There's really no comparison between the clubs at present, is there?

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, but they dwarf Wednesday and offer much better facilities in which to develop and train, as well as the opportunity to build a reputation on a bigger stage than Hillsborough.

Bigger stage than Hillsborough ?...Celtic Park playing against Ross County 15 times a season ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

True. Money they have, good luck to the kid. Time will if he develops further.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NOT jack whitham said:

Bigger stage than Hillsborough ?...Celtic Park playing against Ross County 15 times a season ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

The most expensive defender in the world came to Britain as an unknown at Celtic. It didn’t do his progression much harm...

31 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Shaw could have stayed in our hour of need, at least in the short term.

Unless Chansiri takes a hammer to his kneecaps, how can he ruin his career?

I mean, he's been getting picked here.

And if we go down a Championship club would come in for him anyway.

I'm not sure that in our "hour of need" he'd make that much of a difference. There's potential, and flashes of quality, but he's still a long way from someone who is going to heavily influence Championship games on a consistent basis.

I'm much more annoyed and concerned that we haven't been smart enough to avoid this happening. In fact, we didn't even need to be smart, we just needed to be (dare I say) professional.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I'm not sure that in our "hour of need" he'd make that much of a difference. There's potential, and flashes of quality, but he's still a long way from someone who is going to heavily influence Championship games on a consistent basis.

I'm much more annoyed and concerned that we haven't been smart enough to avoid this happening. In fact, we didn't even need to be smart, we just needed to be (dare I say) professional.

Agree with our not being professional.

We desperately need someone to run the club.

Whilst he’s far from the finished article, I just think we need all the bodies we’ve got right now.

Or to put it another way, we’re stronger with him than without him.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t have liked to have been with some of you lot in the trenches 

Go on Liam you look after your self lad , don’t worry about the club that has made you into a professional footballer in its hour of need I bet you have always had a soft spot for Keltic anyway 

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

Wouldn’t have liked to have been with some of you lot in the trenches 

Go on Liam you look after your self lad , don’t worry about the club that has made you into a professional footballer in its hour of need I bet you have always had a soft spot for Keltic anyway 

Come on, look a the state of our club. We're not paying players and are likely to be relegated. 

In all likelihood we've offered a contract worth way less. It's not like he's 31 and has been earning a big wage for a decade.

Would you really stay out of loyalty?

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fair enough.

It's frustrating when that kind of thing happens and your initial point gets lost, isn't it?

I'm still not sure that Palmer is any more 'loyal' than Shaw, though - he's just not had the same opportunity to leave.

Didn’t Wilder want him at some point?

4 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Come on, look a the state of our club. We're not paying players and are likely to be relegated. 

In all likelihood we've offered a contract worth way less. It's not like he's 31 and has been earning a big wage for a decade.

Would you really stay out of loyalty?

No such thing as loyalty in football, cash is king. Players shouldn't and won't let "who they support" get in the way of a decent career. 

It's a hobby for us, it's a job for them. 

Edited by Maddogbob

31 minutes ago, NOT jack whitham said:

Yeah, you're right - Celtic Park just doesn't compare to Hillsborough, does it?

🙄

Compared to the footballing backwater that is Wednesday in 2021, Celtic Park is a much bigger stage on which to showcase your talent, and one with a proven track record of providing a springboard to bigger and better things:

10639943_Screenshot2021-01-30at18_54_14.png.2c7fcf60ebd9d6532af42fbc726c0242.png

• Like 1

It comes to summat when Matchday section is that mental on here lately that you have to go in the Politics section for some sanity.

Some of the outright contradiction of views stated by some folk over relatively short periods of time are simply barmy.

I’d dig a view out but I can’t be arsed because you’re all fruitcakes.

:duntmatter:

Edited by sonofbert2
  • Haha 1