Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

Just now, Revenant said:

GH had a year of his career destroyed

Your absolutely correct, he did 

And it was totally down to himself and the people around him,  and let me just say that i , like the majority ,believe the owner has made too many mistakes , there’s no way back and he should sell the club ....  But let’s stop peddling the story that DC ruined George Hirst because it’s just totally false 

35 minutes ago, g-owls said:

van Dijk.

Add Moussa Dembele and Wanyama to that, two players who went there on the cheap, unknown quantities that went on to make them plenty of money. 

We know that Celtic are a big fish in a small pond, but the chance of playing at Celtic Park, winning trophies and playing in European competition is a much greater incentive than being part of a club struggling to stay in the second level of English football, that is being run into the ground by its owner.  

Let’s be honest Liam Shaw won’t be playing in Europe anytime soon. If he signs for them I’ll be shocked if he plays even 10 total competitive games for Celtic next season.

Dembele had scored 15 goals in a full championship season for Fulham and was a France U21 cap, Van Dijk had played 50+ Eredivisie games and was a Netherlands U21 cap, Wanyama had played 50 Jupiler League games and had already played and scored for his country when he signed for Celtic. They are hardly the same.

I know you are a Celtic fan. How many players around Liam’s age, 19, with barely over a handful of appearances, have Celtic signed that have gone on to get those big moves?

Celtic are a huge club, I have no doubt financially it will be a great move for him, and IF he makes it, then yes it would be a great move for him.

I can understand Liam moving on, most players would in his position, and especially with the state our club is in, but the odds IMO are not stacked in his favour going to Celtic. It’s a gamble. And at his stage of his career he needs to be playing football regularly and learning his trade. He won’t get that at Celtic 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

And it was totally down to himself and the people around him,  and let me just say that i , like the majority ,believe the owner has made too many mistakes , there’s no way back and he should sell the club ....  But let’s stop peddling the story that DC ruined George Hirst because it’s just totally false 

I'm not trying to rake up the GH debacle, because Shaw is a completely different case. i.e. he quickly proved himself to be better than what we had in the first team. GH.

My original point is we need to be building a team around players out of our youth team, or we are for ever going to be a team of journeymen mercenaries.

It's vandalism, and we're not going to find players any better than the ones we are releasing.

You can justly blame the GH entourage for what happened with him and DC, but this is the third time this has happened.

And what if this is just the other end of agents screwing over the club?

10 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

George Hirst was frozen out. He refused to sign the contract and he was frozen out. 

I don’t think DC ruined him at all. But he didn’t want to be here. And rather than being savvy an accepting a very generous £2m bid for an unproven kid, we cut our nose off to spite our face and lost him for absolutely nothing.

The real losers in the George Hirst debacle was Sheffield Wednesday. Don’t forget that. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Let’s be honest Liam Shaw won’t be playing in Europe anytime soon. If he signs for them I’ll be shocked if he plays even 10 total competitive games for Celtic next season.

Dembele had scored 15 goals in a full championship season for Fulham and was a France U21 cap, Van Dijk had played 50+ Eredivisie games and was a Netherlands U21 cap, Wanyama had played 50 Jupiler League games and had already played and scored for his country when he signed for Celtic. They are hardly the same.

I know you are a Celtic fan. How many players around Liam’s age, 19, with barely over a handful of appearances, have Celtic signed that have gone on to get those big moves?

Celtic are a huge club, I have no doubt financially it will be a great move for him, and IF he makes it, then yes it would be a great move for him.

I can understand Liam moving on, most players would in his position, and especially with the state our club is in, but the odds IMO are not stacked in his favour going to Celtic. It’s a gamble. And at his stage of his career he needs to be playing football regularly and learning his trade. He won’t get that at Celtic 

He’s only 19. Celtic will probably loan him out for a season. 

Just now, Revenant said:

GH had a year of his career destroyed, and as for Clare, he seemed to be doing the business for us on the pitch, who knows what's gone off up there with him.

I think it's vandalism. What was the point of building a team to win u23 championships and then let those players go on free transfers.

More mind blowing expense, which came to nothing.

it was the 3rd tier of under 23s .......those weve let go have any of them gone on to better than us ?wallis , neilson, ogrady, stobbs , kirby , lee, clarke , clare ,hirst  and other ive forgot .....

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

it was the 3rd tier of under 23s .......those weve let go have any of them gone on to better than us ?wallis , neilson, ogrady, stobbs , kirby , lee, clarke , clare ,hirst  and other ive forgot .....

Which ever way you look at it, it's been another waste of money. For example Jordan Thornily. We've gone out and signed him to play at that level. Why bother in the first place. He wasn't the only one.

Mark my words. Nothing coming out of that accadamy will be allowed to stay at Wednesday, especially if they show any promise what so ever.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I find it absolutely amazing people still can’t see the bigger picture is here.

Using ‘well Hirst did nowt’ as justification for failing to profit or benefit from a promising young player we’ve spent the past 10 or so years developing.

It’s mind boggling.

Exactly, it’s not about the individual players mentioned it’s about our attitude to finances and planning. 

• Thanks 1

I thought the idea of letting the contracts of our big earners run down and get rid was to trim the wage bill and replace with younger, cheaper options. If that’s the case why are we also letting the contracts of the younger, cheaper options run down? Try as I might I just can’t fathom how we’re planning on building a team for whatever division we find ourselves in next season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I find it absolutely amazing people still can’t see the bigger picture is here.

Using ‘well Hirst did nowt’ as justification for failing to profit or benefit from a promising young player we’ve spent the past 10 or so years developing.

It’s mind boggling.

Hirst Jr wouldn’t have been in a position to demand an unrealistic contract if it wasn’t for his famous dad.

4 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

I thought the idea of letting the contracts of our big earners run down and get rid was to trim the wage bill and replace with younger, cheaper options. If that’s the case why are we also letting the contracts of the younger, cheaper options run down? Try as I might I just can’t fathom how we’re planning on building a team for whatever division we find ourselves in next season.

Because rather than have an actual plan for the club.

We seem to have hired chimps to fling their faeces at A4 and go from there

46 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

And after all we heard and know now about DC, how we handled Liam Shaw's situation, you Still think that Hirst is one to blame for his exit from the club? 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, you're right - Celtic Park just doesn't compare to Hillsborough, does it?

🙄

Compared to the footballing backwater that is Wednesday in 2021, Celtic Park is a much bigger stage on which to showcase your talent, and one with a proven track record of providing a springboard to bigger and better things:

10639943_Screenshot2021-01-30at18_54_14.png.2c7fcf60ebd9d6532af42fbc726c0242.png

Hillsborough..footballing backwater ?..top supporter.

10 minutes ago, malek said:

And after all we heard and know now about DC, how we handled Liam Shaw's situation, you Still think that Hirst is one to blame for his exit from the club? 

Was George Hirst to blame for leaving the club ?   Between himself and his advisors he never had a single intention of staying,  Chansiri should have been a much stronger chairman and sold him at the opportunity he was presented with, I believe he didn’t for the same reason he never sold Forestieri , which for me was one of the biggest mistakes he’s made as owner 

Who knows what he’s thinking with Liam Shaws situation