Thompson totally out of his depth

Guest Theboylangers
4 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Don’t agree.

our form if you exclude the hell of the Pulis period is good enough to stay up 

That run of games under Pulis will be the ones that relegate us.

Whether we get a new manager or not.

Thread title is entirely understandable - Thompson is out of his depth, he's not a Championship level head coach, at least not yet - but neither is he pretending to be.

It beggars belief that our owner thinks we have time to mess around and take his time with a choice of manager - when we're sat almost rock bottom, short of goals and confidence and sat in a financial mess brought about through years of gross negligence of ownership - with most of the squad out of contract in the summer. It's a horrible cocktail of circumstances.

The problem is that we were sat in an encouraging position at the start of the month, at least on face value.  Thompson was (and still is) doing a good job - but in the squad getting Covid, missing games, others winning (particularly Derby and Rotherham) we're in a really bad place and that result last night was dire.

We've got Liam Shaw being approached by bigger fish (good on him), players wondering what the future brings for the club, complete uncertainty on who the manager will be... it's a mess. Everyone can see it, players and interim coach included.

The only positive is there is 22 games left to sort this mess out. We're only (only!) 6 points adrift. It's probably going to have to be the existing players - I'd be staggered if we sign anyone of any quality now, especially this late in the window. In truth, who - beyond those completely without a club - is going to want to join this mess?

But I think the players are capable of keeping us up. Only just - but with a new coach with a few ideas it just may be enough to scrape us home and give the club a complete reset in the summer, focussing on promoting youth, pinching some of the better youngsters from Leagues 1 and 2, couple of Prem loans and a sprinkling of solid older heads to start a new era.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mcmigo said:

His record so far is fine.

I honestly think he will guide us to safety.  It will be tight, but as our new superstar signings Green and Hutch get match fit we will get better and have enough to stay up.

We didnt get hammered last night . We deserved to lose, no question, but it wasnt a collapse of a result.

I hope you are right pal, I admire your optimism.

1 hour ago, Theboylangers said:

That run of games under Pulis will be the ones that relegate us.

Whether we get a new manager or not.

Oh, I think Monk managed to ruin a lot fo poo with those 3 back to back losses to Luton, Wyconbe and Rotherham too... and it happened just after we'd played so well and won away to Brum... completely unfathomable.

Which leads me to the players.. just saw a quote from Hibs after their loss to Rangers; Darren stating "it's always an honour to be asked to put on the Hibs shirt"... how many of the Wednseday XI regulars can truly say the same with the drivel they're churning out on the pitch  and now it looks like we're losing Shaw, who stood out as one who really brought Passion on the pitch.

13 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Thompson needs to return to his Under 23's coaching role.

Last night was a shambles.

Dreadful selection, formation, tactics (Pulis one up front) and substitutions.

His comment about us having six strikers treats us fans as if we are as complete idiots.

I'd agree his comments about strikers was incredulous but saying he is totally out of his depth is unfair based on one game.

Whenever Bullen lost a game in his temporary stints, the same "out of his depth" comment was trotted out by some, yet when you look at points achieved per game in charge it's far better than most of Wednesday's recent permanent managers.

I don't know who can turn this lot around and the problems in the round are a result of off field issues, however if this club is going to survive the drop, and believe me it has to, then those players and the current team selectors need to step up to the mark.

How does Reach get in ahead of Harris, ? 

I know which one I would have dropped for Green to start, unless Harris was suffering from a knock.

Reach is negative, lacks courage and endeavour, opts to to stop and play the ball back or inside 9 times out of 10, and that's when he actually get's in the opposition half, he put's one decent ball per game into the box, and has one shot on target per month, which may have worked several times this season but does not excuse his lazy woefully inept overall game play, we teach kids who are wingers to take defenders on ffs and Harris does that so much more and with pace, yet is sat on the bloody bench.

Pelupessy and Hutch were almost sat on each other's lap at times last night, how many defensive midfield players do we want/need in the side ?

Brown and Kachunga have become bench warmers now when earlier in the season they both showed positive signs, they were all but banished by Pulis to cater for his negative style and Paterson, last night Brown and Luongo are both sat on the bench, why ?

We need a more positive approach, we wont score if we don't attack in numbers regardless of who plays up front, which means we need to play a more attacking line up and style, we can't defend while we constantly give possession away and commit silly fouls under the ensuing pressure.

I could go on and on but it's damn right depressing watching this lot this season, it was Coventry we were playing last night and set up for the game like that ...... fuming !!!!

Just now, Watto said:

I think we need to get rid of the likes of Thompson, Bullen, weaver etc 

Clean slate is needed top to bottom from next season , new manager , new backroom staff and half of this squad gone.

thats around 30 backroom  staff your wanting sacked ......take some replacing that lot by next season .

Guest Therealrealist
42 minutes ago, Watto said:

Clean slate is needed top to bottom from next season , new manager , new backroom staff and half of this squad gone.

Cudnt agree more,,,its ridiculous to still have bullen lingering around the place...as sumbody mentioned the other week..the u23 coach should be such an important role...yet we park bullen there just to find him a job:duntmatter:

54 minutes ago, Watto said:

I get where you're coming from but how on earth we're going to attract better staff in any role on the football side is another matter. What do we have to offer that makes us worthy of upgrades?

14 hours ago, overlandandsea said:

Hes been completely thrown under the bus by DC. He seems a decent bloke and I feel sorry for him that hes having to cop the blame and manage this mis matched team whilst chansiri shows no intent on bringing in an actual manager. 

He's also been thrown under the bus by the players too. They did the same with Bullen.

If it wasn't evident before, it's very evident now that the players have contol of the manager at this club. They did for Pulis because he told Brown he'd never play for Wednesday again while he was in charge.  I'm not sure about Monk but they got rid of Jos and CC.

In effect they dictate training and it seems they just stop playing when they feel like it.

It needs to change, they aren't superstars, they are just overpaid Championship players who have been made rich for life by this club despite failing to deliver on the pitch. They are nothing like as good as they think they are. I'm just trying to think of one player who is irreplaceable, Bannan and Reach are the only ones I can think of who would get into a top half squad, Iorfa would when he's fit, the rest are bottom end Championship or worse.

Quite honestly I'd be happier in Div 1 if we can have a squad od players like Semedo and Reda who would give their all for the club. Maybe not the most talented but never lacking in application and grit.

I'm sick of DC and most of the players even though I love the club. Sad isn't it.

• Love 1

Thompson is out of his depth sadly.  

We need an experienced manager at the helm.  Can't see anything changing anytime soon.

January was  an important month for us, both in terms of getting a quality manager in  as well as new players.  

Then if you look at the fixture list for February, it's a very very tough set of fixtures and a lot of games in quick succession.  

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Again - Neil Thompson isn't the problem here

Not by a long long long way

100 % right. Nobody with any clout wants the job. This is the reason Thompson is still the manager. DC needs to either give Thompson the job and the confidence to do his own thing if we are not going to employ anyone better. Without a striker who can score 8 goals or more this season and a change in formation we are in a relegation battle that is not looking good at all for us.

3 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

I'd agree his comments about strikers was incredulous but saying he is totally out of his depth is unfair based on one game.

Whenever Bullen lost a game in his temporary stints, the same "out of his depth" comment was trotted out by some, yet when you look at points achieved per game in charge it's far better than most of Wednesday's recent permanent managers.

If you look at the context of the situations we have been in when he has taken charge it even more disappointing that people can point the blame at those who are doing their best to get us out of trouble from situations not of their making

NT isn’t the problem but he’s also not a manager.

The only solution from here would be to get a candidate in before the weekend and do quite a few deals on deadline day which hopefully keep us up .

more importantly a long term scenario if we don’t stay up that it’s the correct manager in place to bring us up and get rid of the bloated squad we have.

I thought that was cook. DC obviously didn’t but the Coventry result may have changed his thinking regarding candidate and contract length.

if it means keeping us up what’s a long term deal that can easily be broken in the grand scheme of things.

Thompson was a youth team asked to be temporary head coach for a couple of weeks while we got someone else in.

Team was playing crap before he was involved with the first team so its a bit much to blame him for them still playing crap now.
Took Alex Ferguson 4 years to win anything at Man U when he first took over so a bit harsh on Thompson to have a go for a poor performance in our present circumstances.