Thompson totally out of his depth

Thompson could open for England with how straight his bat is. Same answers every press conference. I’m guessing he’s been told what to say and not give anything away but we know what he’s going to answer before he opens his mouth. 

On 28/01/2021 at 07:40, Owls Loyal said:

Thompson needs to return to his Under 23's coaching role.

Last night was a shambles.

Dreadful selection, formation, tactics (Pulis one up front) and substitutions.

His comment about us having six strikers treats us fans as if we are as complete idiots.

One bad result and these comments were always coming! Always happens with caretaker managers.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We knew he wasn't one to rock the boat, didn't ask for the job and is filling in with the same skeleton coaching staff around him.

He's doing as expected, started well after the spectre of Pulis was lifted from the players, but a team needs certainty and direction.

He's as competent as Coleman, for example, and both will see out the remaining games to relegation.

If he's left in charge or not, needs an announcement and should preferably be accompanied by one confirming Chansiri has given up and the club is for sale. 

• Like 1

The fact we haven’t appointed someone is absolutely crazy. No issues with Thompson, I don’t think he is good enough but our squad is unbalanced and when we needed a striker we signed a defensive midfielder and I’m still not sure what position green is going to play.

What ever the team sheet you are left guessing what is the formation and who is playing where... that’s where a large part of our on field problems are. No identity on the pitch and anyone with anything about them will beat us

NT is just papering over the cracks. A short term solution while our inept chairman and his toxic advisor think of the next random to come in and be sacked a few months later

We are if not have turned in to the Charlton/Dutchatalet situation

How many more people have to come and go citing their position is untenable before something is done ..

Behind the scenes is an absolute laughing stock

35 minutes ago, striker said:

We knew he wasn't one to rock the boat, didn't ask for the job and is filling in with the same skeleton coaching staff around him.

He's doing as expected, started well after the spectre of Pulis was lifted from the players, but a team needs certainty and direction.

He's as competent as Coleman, for example, and both will see out the remaining games to relegation.

If he's left in charge or not, needs an announcement and should preferably be accompanied by one confirming Chansiri has given up and the club is for sale. 

I completely agree with all those points.

Personally, I think both Coleman and ten Cate would be farcical appointments. I don't believe there's anyone who can keep us up now.  I don't consider Thompson to be up to the task, but I'm sympathetic towards his plight because everything going on around him is only making his job harder.

It's too late for any external appointment to come in and make a difference. With the relentless schedule that started with the Coventry game, there'll be no proper opportunity for a manager to implement their methods before Wednesday's fate is beyond doubt. As much as I couldn't stand Pulis, I have to acknowledge that he was right about how difficult it was for him to do his job when he never got a full week of training in until the week before he was dismissed. At least Thompson could return to his previous coaching role, thus saving us from having to pointlessly take on and then let another manager go for one reason or another at the end of the season.

Perhaps my perspective on where we're going to end up is too heavily influenced by that dreadful performance against Coventry, but I say just put Thompson in charge until the summer and focus on appointing a long-term manager and building a team who are prepared to do a stint in League 1 in 2021/22.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Thompson says he has had no word of any incomings. Surely if Chansiri was going to give Thompson the job he would have a bit of a say on incomings? 

Are you joking. The main reason we can't get a manager is because DC and Paxo dictate who we sign. We don't have a centre forward or a left back but we have loads of attackers and CB's because they don't address what we need they just buy without a plan.

Thompson is likely to get the job because he will do as he's told until he gets the sack for failing to win with poor quality players who don't play in positions where we have no cover.

On 29/01/2021 at 11:24, prowl said:

Are you joking. The main reason we can't get a manager is because DC and Paxo dictate who we sign. We don't have a centre forward or a left back but we have loads of attackers and CB's because they don't address what we need they just buy without a plan.

Thompson is likely to get the job because he will do as he's told until he gets the sack for failing to win with poor quality players who don't play in positions where we have no cover.

I don't think people understand that most teams in the top divisions operate in this way. Most managers/coaches don't pick the players to sign, listen to what klopp said the other week and also now happening at pigs. In our division it can work well Brentford and Reading as an example, it's just we do it insanely  bad with no real structure in place, so I don't think coaches wont join us because of not picking the players it's because of how badly it's set up

• Like 2

His comment about us having six strikers treats us fans as if we are as complete idiots.

Any manager will struggle with this bunch.

Put Lewis Hamilton in a beat up ford fiesta and he wont win a race...our team are that fiesta

18 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

And Chelsea, Lampard didn't pick the players brought in last summer he said so at the time

Lampard's role would have been to identify the positions he wanted filling. Just like solskjaer at Man Utd the list goes on, like I said Brentford and reading do it incredibly well with 2 unknown coaches in charge. We are an example of how not to do it, whether we have Thompson or klopp in charge it wouldn't make the slightest difference 

Can we say whether Thompson is out of his depth?  When he wins a few games does that make him a fantastic manager?  The rollercoaster of supporting Wednesday is akin to being a manic depressive - unbelievable highs but great lows.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mister Soul said:

He’s clearly not totally out of his depth by virtue of the wins he has under his belt .. he’s not the man for the full time job ( as proven with the starting line up yesterday) but get a grip ffs! 

I think there is an element of hindsight there.  From what I recall his team selection was generally approved of yesterday. 

1 hour ago, bubbleowl said:

I don't think people understand that most teams in the top divisions operate in this way. Most managers/coaches don't pick the players to sign, listen to what klopp said the other week and also now happening at pigs. In our division it can work well Brentford and Reading as an example, it's just we do it insanely  bad with no real structure in place, so I don't think coaches wont join us because of not picking the players it's because of how badly it's set up

I am in the process of reading Harry Redknapp’s  biography.  It is clear the process being followed, in principal, is what is common practice throughout football now.  It’s just that we are not very good at it.  
The days when managers were in control of transfer activity are long gone

12 minutes ago, Minesapint said:

I am in the process of reading Harry Redknapp’s  biography.  It is clear the process being followed, in principal, is what is common practice throughout football now.  It’s just that we are not very good at it.  
The days when managers were in control of transfer activity are long gone

And what some people on this site have got to understand is our former owner adopted the same policy. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Mandaric who adviced Chansiri on this plan of action

On 29/01/2021 at 09:05, MarkS43Owl said:

Thompson could open for England with how straight his bat is. Same answers every press conference. I’m guessing he’s been told what to say and not give anything away but we know what he’s going to answer before he opens his mouth. 

Bit like Monk was

Not just to you, but from one loyal Owl to another...

Last 6 league games - 4 wins & 2 losses - and NO draws.  Compare that with Monx tactix (..sic) AND Pulis, who didn't get a fair chance, imho.

Its "dreadful" because you play with what you've got, and when you have someone "unfortunate" in ownership, your club is going to stagger, almost drunkenly, from one disaster to the next.  Luckily (..or not..) for Mr C (..or ...others..), fate has smiled on Neil Thompson, and HE DESERVES A GOOD CHANCE AND A BIT MORE PATIENCE, just based on his record so far, here, this season.

Waddya want? Sam Allardyce? Mick McCarthy? McClaren? Steve Bruce-Again?

Who are we going to get, in the middle of the wierdest season, due to Covid-19 restrictions?  Another CHANCER, that's who!

They are young(ish) lads.  PantoPussy got a rush of blood to the head. Millwall were salty and the reffin' seems fairer under lockdown. 

Our young lads lost confidence.  See if they do it again, or improve..  Stand Fast.

1 hour ago, Marro said:

Can we say whether Thompson is out of his depth?  When he wins a few games does that make him a fantastic manager?  The rollercoaster of supporting Wednesday is akin to being a manic depressive - unbelievable highs but great lows.

When were the unbelievable highs?

• Like 2