Jump to content

Thompson totally out of his depth


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Those advocating NT for “the job” should pause to consider what “the job” actually is. No doubt NT has improved results on the pitch. This is to be expected given he has an excellent reputation as a coach. Performances have improved too but I believe an element of this is that NT isn’t Monk or Pulis. You can sense the relief in the squad to be working under a less negative and draconian coach. For the sake of balance, the team was really poor against Coventry and Millwall. We showed promise against Wycombe but they have lost 17 times and conceded 47. 

The manager’s job is more than what happens on game day although this is the most important element. 

Will NT be able to attract players to SWFC? Will he be able to build a balanced squad for next season and beyond? How will he cope when the next crisis comes? Can he manage upwards?

For me, NT is proving to be a good coach. At the end of the season we’ll know if he can be an excellent coach. Maybe he can become what Phelan was to Ferguson, what Clarke was to Mourinho, what Taylor was to Clough but we do need a new, quality manager to lead the team and the club. 

To be fair, I think I’d settle for that, especially as it’s the model DC wishes to pursue Great if a coach can be a draw for potential players, but working with, and improving our own players is what I really want Sure I’d prefer DC to seek some better advice with player recruitment, but I prefer a coach style manager to work with the players

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Will he be able to build a balanced squad for next season and beyond? How will he cope when the next crisis comes?

Think that would apply to Lampard, Mourinho etc etc etc..

If they can't they end up out..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

From skybet terms

 

Caretaker and interim managers will not count unless they complete at least 10 competitive games for club managers and 4 games for international managers and they will then be deemed the permanent manager.

 

Based on that Swansea would be his 10th so should trigger a payout.

Yes but i'd like to throw this into the mix. Because of illness he wasn't caretaker manager for the Exeter match. Technically the other guy took over as caretaker manager for a game. So does it start from the one after that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

Think that would apply to Lampard, Mourinho etc etc etc..

If they can't they end up out..

True but there was some track record with Lampard at Derby and Mourinho is one of the games most successful managers. I just see NT as a coach, not a manager based on evidence thus far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

True but there was some track record with Lampard at Derby and Mourinho is one of the games most successful managers. I just see NT as a coach, not a manager based on evidence thus far. 

That's the main point, we don't employ managers...only coaches, just like chelski do...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Those advocating NT for “the job” should pause to consider what “the job” actually is. No doubt NT has improved results on the pitch. This is to be expected given he has an excellent reputation as a coach. Performances have improved too but I believe an element of this is that NT isn’t Monk or Pulis. You can sense the relief in the squad to be working under a less negative and draconian coach. For the sake of balance, the team was really poor against Coventry and Millwall. We showed promise against Wycombe but they have lost 17 times and conceded 47. 

The manager’s job is more than what happens on game day although this is the most important element. 

Will NT be able to attract players to SWFC? Will he be able to build a balanced squad for next season and beyond? How will he cope when the next crisis comes? Can he manage upwards?

For me, NT is proving to be a good coach. At the end of the season we’ll know if he can be an excellent coach. Maybe he can become what Phelan was to Ferguson, what Clarke was to Mourinho, what Taylor was to Clough but we do need a new, quality manager to lead the team and the club. 

Or perhaps we need a good coach and a permanent & experienced Dof ?.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

Yes but i'd like to throw this into the mix. Because of illness he wasn't caretaker manager for the Exeter match. Technically the other guy took over as caretaker manager for a game. So does it start from the one after that?

Nope. Thompson picked the team and was in contact remotely do is classed as being in charge for that game. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

Nope. Thompson picked the team and was in contact remotely do is classed as being in charge for that game. 

 

Bet you don't find that bit in bookies rules though, if they can get away with paying out they will do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/01/2021 at 07:40, Owls Loyal said:

Thompson needs to return to his Under 23's coaching role.

 

Last night was a shambles.

 

Dreadful selection, formation, tactics (Pulis one up front) and substitutions.

 

His comment about us having six strikers treats us fans as if we are as complete idiots.

This aged well... 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

 

Bet you don't find that bit in bookies rules though, if they can get away with paying out they will do.

It is mentioned in the terms that in cases of ambiguity (ie head coach/manager) it will be deemed whoever picks the team is classed as the manager so on that basis Exeter counts.

 

I doubt it'll matter anyway tbh. If he's in charge against Swansea he'll be in charge against Stoke.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thompson has given us our best chance of staying up? Just can’t see how a new coach/manager can now come in get to know the players and implement his style and tactics? Thompson has put square pegs in square holes installed a bit of fight and pride and we look a different side? We will loose some games simply because some of the players are simply average at best in this league ? We are not the squad of 3/4 yrs ago ......also wish someone would spill the beans about Xmas either tell us or leave it?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

It is mentioned in the terms that in cases of ambiguity (ie head coach/manager) it will be deemed whoever picks the team is classed as the manager so on that basis Exeter counts.

 

I doubt it'll matter anyway tbh. If he's in charge against Swansea he'll be in charge against Stoke.

 

 

 

Yes I suppose so, I was thinking on the lines of the rule 4 they invoke if any horses are withdrawn from a race they can deduct a percentage of the winnings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Those advocating NT for “the job” should pause to consider what “the job” actually is. No doubt NT has improved results on the pitch. This is to be expected given he has an excellent reputation as a coach. Performances have improved too but I believe an element of this is that NT isn’t Monk or Pulis. You can sense the relief in the squad to be working under a less negative and draconian coach. For the sake of balance, the team was really poor against Coventry and Millwall. We showed promise against Wycombe but they have lost 17 times and conceded 47. 

The manager’s job is more than what happens on game day although this is the most important element. 

Will NT be able to attract players to SWFC? Will he be able to build a balanced squad for next season and beyond? How will he cope when the next crisis comes? Can he manage upwards?

For me, NT is proving to be a good coach. At the end of the season we’ll know if he can be an excellent coach. Maybe he can become what Phelan was to Ferguson, what Clarke was to Mourinho, what Taylor was to Clough but we do need a new, quality manager to lead the team and the club. 

 

Exactly was I was about to write. I think Thompson is doing a superb job but he is Coaching the First team not Managing the Club.

 

I do however think he has done enough to be given the job for the rest of the season but we need to build a coaching/management team around him to best support him going forward.  That's the bit I'm concerned about because I'm not sure we are capable of doing that given out current "Off the Pitch" issues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am still advocating Thompson remains as Interim Head Coach, possibly in perpetuity. Never change a winning formula!

 

Give him a nice big slice of cashmoney if he keeps us up, but even then keep him on as interim coach....forever!

 

In all honesty if he keeps us up some bûgger else will undoubtedly come and give him a boat load of money to go and manage them! 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I am still advocating Thompson remains as Interim Head Coach, possibly in perpetuity. Never change a winning formula!

 

Give him a nice big slice of cashmoney if he keeps us up, but even then keep him on as interim coach....forever!

 

In all honesty if he keeps us up some bûgger else will undoubtedly come and give him a boat load of money to go and manage them! 
 

 

If he keeps us up and comfortably, there will be a shed load of clubs sniffing round.

Then DC will get a reyt headache..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

If he keeps us up and comfortably, there will be a shed load of clubs sniffing round.

Then DC will get a reyt headache..

i wouldn't change anything until the end of the season now, as anyone else coming in is just going to impose shitty defensive tactics whilst they get a feel for the players and the getting a goal/ holding on tactic just isn't the Wednesday way (even going back to the 90's...its crap to watch and doesn't work for us at all as attack is our best defense....  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

i wouldn't change anything until the end of the season now, as anyone else coming in is just going to impose shitty defensive tactics whilst they get a feel for the players and the getting a goal/ holding on tactic just isn't the Wednesday way (even going back to the 90's...its crap to watch and doesn't work for us at all as attack is our best defense....  

Agree, certainly wouldn’t be looking elsewhere, and probably wouldn’t be changing his status either That’s probably based on superstition though, me fearing results will change if he is officially named as manager until the end of the season Seen that happen so many times before

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...