Thompson totally out of his depth

Thompson was handled hot potato. Unbalanced squad with little true quality in poor run of form and low in confidence. 

I for one think he is doing better than expected, especially considering how we performed in last transfer window. 

But lets be realistic, this squad is not good enough to get on a winning run with Thompson or whoever else in charge. Still think he is our best bet to keep us up. 

We'll know if Thompson's up for it and able to see the season out at least, whether we get a reaction after the Millwall collapse. Due to DC and his chums, starting the season with a points deduction and with Monk, followed by replacing him with Pulis, we'd done well under Thompson to stay in touch but other clubs around have been picking up results too. Ultimately it doesn't seem enough and even though before Millwall we had picked up results and shown fight, it won't be enough and ultimately we'll go down because of DC's disastrous running of the club along with his advisers. A decision should have been made one way or another long before Millwall, we can't afford a poor run, I think DC dithered due to wanting a foreign head coach and ultimately DC will be to blame when we go down. 

• Like 1

Just looked at league table.  I think that  any view Thompson is out of his league needs to be considered.  Who would be a favoured replacement, something which has been asked on many occasions . Let’s just reflect that many knowledgeable fans would have taken Allardyce whose WBA go below United if they  draw tonight. 
We need to cut the guy some slack and recognise the way the players are responding to him and look at his record not flip from game to game

• Like 5

On 28/01/2021 at 08:42, Bulgaria said:

The defensive tactics that we play are ingrained into this club, I am sick of it.

We didn't even have a go last night.

We deserve all that's coming.

And the only bright thing that this club has is about to go to Scotland for 50 quid.

********, each and everyone one of them.

Adam Reaches performance last night just sums this club up.

Inept and insulting.

And there lies the problem. We have a number of players who have no vision or ability to take risks.

Lees plays it sideways or back.

Joey plays it sideways or back.

Our wingers are incapable of taking on a man, reach, Harris, Penney.

Bannan looks forwards, spins around a few times then plays it back.

With the ball we often travel in the same direction as the opposition, i.e. towards our own goal.

We get deeper and deeper to the point that our forwards, midfield and defenders are compressed into about 15 yards of pitch.

It's only ever going to end in tears.

Then we have the youngsters who don't smell the danger and overplay putting us in trouble. 

The players will always revert to the same old tired type.

That's why we needed to offload players more regularly to freshen up the squad with new ideas and confidence.

It's nowt to do with Thompson

I'd rather listen to Thompson than any of the last two managers. At least he's realistic as to where we are as a club. Hopefully he'll do enough to keep us up and usher in the new management team next season.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We only had 4 shots  to Millwall's 21, put in 11 crosses to their 21, and played only 20% of the game in their defensive third.

If that was us 'going for it', then I dread to think what it would be like if we let them dictate the game.

People like you spoil Owlstalk for everyone.

Coming on here with your facts and common sense. They are the last things I need in my life.

In my opinion Millwall were not in the game for the first 45. We were dominant and in control.

When I say we went for it we were trying to move it forward and trying to be creative. It didn’t work, but I’d rather that than what we have seen under Monk and Pulis.

• Haha 1

I’d say Thompson results since taking over show he’s about our best shot of staying up? Long shot at that! Is down to the squad just not being good enough and consistent enough? And that’s down to recruiting? If you look at our players apart from Rhodes reach and Paterson there ain’t many that will get over 5 a season ! In the whole squad! We was bound to loose some and the problem is we’ve been on a great run but got no further up the league cus Wycombe apart all the over teams have picked up points aswell ?? So even if we carry on picking points up regularly it’s still gona go to the wire ? Getting yet another coach again with not enough time left to implement their ideas and tactics will probably do us once and for all

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, malek said:

Thompson was handled hot potato. Unbalanced squad with little true quality in poor run of form and low in confidence. 

I for one think he is doing better than expected, especially considering how we performed in last transfer window. 

But lets be realistic, this squad is not good enough to get on a winning run with Thompson or whoever else in charge. Still think he is our best bet to keep us up. 

I agree with you, besides with Chansiri offering contract only until the end of the season it will be hard to attract someone serious.

I wouldn't mind sticking with Thommo until the end of the season and if we stay up we can try to bring in someone like Ivan Jurić. I know I'm just dreaming because he's so used to Italian football. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, heppers said:

Coming on here with your facts and common sense. They are the last things I need in my life.

In my opinion Millwall were not in the game for the first 45. We were dominant and in control.

When I say we went for it we were trying to move it forward and trying to be creative. It didn’t work, but I’d rather that than what we have seen under Monk and Pulis.

We weren't in after Millwall scored that penalty, certainly not the whole 45 mins 

4 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

I’d say Thompson results since taking over show he’s about our best shot of staying up? Long shot at that! Is down to the squad just not being good enough and consistent enough? And that’s down to recruiting? If you look at our players apart from Rhodes reach and Paterson there ain’t many that will get over 5 a season ! In the whole squad! We was bound to loose some and the problem is we’ve been on a great run but got no further up the league cus Wycombe apart all the over teams have picked up points aswell ?? So even if we carry on picking points up regularly it’s still gona go to the wire ? Getting yet another coach again with not enough time left to implement their ideas and tactics will probably do us once and for all

Although I agree with you and Thompson's shown enough prior to Millwall to suggest he should get it till at least the end of the season. My biggest worry, whether we stick with Thompson or not, even in this congested season, just about one more bad run will be enough to see us down. A decision one way or another should have been made before Millwall. We can't afford to have another bad run. We've had plenty of time to make a decision. It seems to me that DC's been able to put it off longer due to Thompson's results but if we do go on a bad run, he'll rue that dithering. Only thing that could explain the dithering is that DC ideally wants a foreign head coach but that's proving difficult with the pandemic and things. Which is why I said, long ago that Thompson should get it till the end of the season or we should have gone for a foreign coach already in this country familiar with the League. 

28 minutes ago, heppers said:

Yeah, Millwall were poor in the first half, but we barely laid a glove on them after our goal, really.  Once they turned up in the second half, we totally collapsed.

I'm not sure we're a great deal more attacking than we were under Monk: we averaged 10.5 shots per game under him this season; so far under Thompson it's 8.2.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, belgrade_owl said:

I agree with you, besides with Chansiri offering contract only until the end of the season it will be hard to attract someone serious.

I wouldn't mind sticking with Thommo until the end of the season and if we stay up we can try to bring in someone like Ivan Jurić. I know I'm just dreaming because he's so used to Italian football. 

Great to hear from you mate, hope you are well.

We can dream of luring Jurić here, at the start of the season I dreamed we would be able to bring in Halilhodžić 😅

• Haha 1

Just now, malek said:

Great to hear from you mate, hope you are well.

We can dream of luring Jurić here, at the start of the season I dreamed we would be able to bring in Halilhodžić 😅

I'm good thanks, hope you are staying safe too!

Trying to imagine Dom or Andy struggling to pronounce Halilhodžić 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, belgrade_owl said:

I'm good thanks, hope you are staying safe too!

Trying to imagine Dom or Andy struggling to pronounce Halilhodžić 😂

I'm, thanks 🙂

it would have been part of the joy, they struggled with bloody Nuhiu 😂

• Haha 1

I think the only sensible option (and let's be honest, with this club, that's quite a statement) would be to stick with Thompson as caretaker till the end of the season. 

Thus keeping the status quo. I see little point in hiring another manager only to fire them should be relegated. 

It's not a case of if he's got what it takes to keep us up. What will be will be now, far better to get to the end of the season and assess things now. 

On 28/01/2021 at 07:40, Owls Loyal said:

His comment about us having six strikers treats us fans as if we are as complete idiots.

To be honest, a lot of our fans are complete idiots 🤣

On 28/01/2021 at 07:40, Owls Loyal said:

Thompson needs to return to his Under 23's coaching role.

Last night was a shambles.

Dreadful selection, formation, tactics (Pulis one up front) and substitutions.

His comment about us having six strikers treats us fans as if we are as complete idiots.

Well I think he is in up to his neck and giving it a great shot !