The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

I think JP was hard done to and had a back injury but I agree we can’t afford to plan to build for years at this level we need to get right back up. Both this level and above now have restrictions in place that seem to make it necessary to gamble on the next saleable asset though. I reckon if alex hunt or someone was playing for Rochdale though he’d get a mention on here.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Disagree. Primary objective is to get out the League as soon as possible.

And that can be done with a mixture of young players and experienced heads. The year Sturrock got us up we only survived the next season by the skin of our teeth. Burton and Tudgay saved us from dropping straight back down and they were hardly 19 year old lads.

Whelan and Brunt played key roles in our survival and don't forget injuries to key players such as McGovern and Maclean. Yes, Burton and Tudgay helped us, but were not reason why we survived. If I remember it right after struggling while adapting to higher standards of the league we survived quite comfortably. Certainly not "by skin of our teeth" as you said.

Promotion is a priority, but so is rebuild. It is about time that our recruitment team earn their pay and start getting us players who can get better here and earn us some money. But if you would read my post again you will see that I wrote myself how mixture of youth and experience should be a right way forward.

15 minutes ago, malek said:

Whelan and Brunt played key roles in our survival and don't forget injuries to key players such as McGovern and Maclean. Yes, Burton and Tudgay helped us, but were not reason why we survived. If I remember it right after struggling while adapting to higher standards of the league we survived quite comfortably. Certainly not "by skin of our teeth" as you said.

Promotion is a priority, but so is rebuild. It is about time that our recruitment team earn their pay and start getting us players who can get better here and earn us some money. But if you would read my post again you will see that I wrote myself how mixture of youth and experience should be a right way forward.

The right way forward is to sign players who have ambition to play for Sheffield Wednesday regardless of age.

Don’t care if they’re 18 or 32. 

Our issue is signing past it players looking for a nice pay day who have peaked in their careers already.

The summer under Megson is the type of recruitment drive we desperately need. Players who’d die for the shirt and give their all to help reconnect the club and the fans.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The right way forward is to sign players who have ambition to play for Sheffield Wednesday regardless of age.

Don’t care if they’re 18 or 32. 

Our issue is signing past it players looking for a nice pay day who have peaked in their careers already.

The summer under Megson is the type of recruitment drive we desperately need. Players who’d die for the shirt and give their all to help reconnect the club and the fans.

Well, it makes all the difference in the world if they are 18 or 32 as club can earn fortune if they sign RIGHT 18 years old, while it can't earn anything if it signs superb 32 years old. And if we want to improve our squad after getting promoted due to FFP rules we can spend 3 times on what we got for that 18 years old.

Why even writing that we want players who will fight for the shirt and want to be here as it goes without saying.

Megson built squad for one season and as soon as we got up none of them were good enough and had to be replaced.

Just now, malek said:

Well, it makes all the difference in the world if they are 18 or 32 as club can earn fortune if they sign RIGHT 18 years old, while it can't earn anything if it signs superb 32 years old. And if we want to improve our squad after getting promoted due to FFP rules we can spend 3 times on what we got for that 18 years old.

Why even writing that we want players who will fight for the shirt and want to be here as it goes without saying.

Megson built squad for one season and as soon as we got up none of them were good enough and had to be replaced.

But you keep referring to the Turner promotion side. Yet only really Brunt and Whelan were good enough for that level?

So just a bit confusing.

And to play devils advocate I’d argue Semedo, Llera, Reda, Antonio all held their own for a couple of years at that level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But you keep referring to the Turner promotion side. Yet only really Brunt and Whelan were good enough for that level?

So just a bit confusing.

And to play devils advocate I’d argue Semedo, Llera, Reda, Antonio all held their own for a couple of years at that level.

Well, my point is that we need to find couple of players that we can build around. I certainly never said that I want us to sign 11 19 years old and for the sake of it.

Antonio would be type of player I would want us to sign if we can afford him. Talented PL2 player desperate for permanent home and regular first team football.

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If Westwood, Lees and Reach do get offered new deals and stay then let's be honest they would be good players for league one.  But we have to be offering them 50% reductions on there current wages as a minimum.

And it would still probably make them best paid players in League One or close to that, but can we afford it ? Would they be best players in league One ? Who can we get in with that money instead ?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If Westwood, Lees and Reach do get offered new deals and stay then let's be honest they would be good players for league one.  But we have to be offering them 50% reductions on there current wages as a minimum.

Let them leave let's start building

• Like 4
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, malek said:

And it would still probably make them best paid players in League One or close to that, but can we afford it ? Would they be best players in league One ? Who can we get in with that money instead ?

This is my view too. They may very well be our best players but do they deliver value for money?? Probably not. 

Bannan is a great example. He’s our best player. That’s true. Is he 4x better than Mowett at Barnsley? Probably not but he earns that much more. 

Also for every ‘star’ we retain, we have less funds for the average player we sign to play alongside them. I’d rather a team that is all on a similar salary than 2-4 on double/treble/quadruple that of those they play alongside. 

As I see it Neither Westwood or Hutchinson are going to push to

leave.

Both are virtually guaranteed starts here now JL and GM are no longer here and let’s face it they are not going to get regular game time elsewhere.

Plus I think their heart is in the club and they want to right the wrongs of this season.

We keep them plus Bannan who I don’t see pushing for a move either then that’s a fair starting point for next season’s starting eleven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Darren Moore and his staff are going to have to work wonders, doubt we'll sign anyone for a fee, the way DC's recklessly ran this club into the ground is a disgrace. It's already looking like freebies and loans, whilst still being stuck with many of the same injury prone players and another relegation battle looks far more realistic than a quick return to the second tier. 

Edited by The Night-Owl
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jim said:

As I see it Neither Westwood or Hutchinson are going to push to

leave.

Both are virtually guaranteed starts here now JL and GM are no longer here and let’s face it they are not going to get regular game time elsewhere.

Plus I think their heart is in the club and they want to right the wrongs of this season.

We keep them plus Bannan who I don’t see pushing for a move either then that’s a fair starting point for next season’s starting eleven.

So basically they are crap and cant get a game elsewhere yet we keep them and they provide us with a fair starting point?

Which is it they are either good players in which they should have plenty of other clubs interested and should have no trouble getting a game elsewhere or they are crap and not worth the wages we pay. It cant be both ways.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Darren Moore and his staff are going to have to work wonders, doubt we'll sign anyone for a fee, the way DC's recklessly ran this club into the ground is a disgrace. It's already looking like freebies and loans, whilst still being stuck with many of the same injury prone players and another relegation battle looks far more realistic than a quick return to the second tier. 

They'll be plenty decent players that can be had on a free, just as there will be many loan players happy to play in L1. However

I think he'll give DM more than you might think to push for promotion. Relegation cost about 8 million in lost TV revenue and every year down will cause that to be repeated. Lose support by not signing ambitious players and it'll cost DC considerably more if crowds plummet.

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

So basically they are crap and cant get a game elsewhere yet we keep them and they provide us with a fair starting point?

Which is it they are either good players in which they should have plenty of other clubs interested and should have no trouble getting a game elsewhere or they are crap and not worth the wages we pay. It cant be both ways.

I don't think either Westwood and Hutchinson are crap players. Both can do a job for us but Westwood would have to be willing to take a very significant wage cut to be considered. A pity as he's the best keeper at the club by some distance.