The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Clayton Phillips left winger. One to keep eye on. 

Would make sense, like Morton. Nick Clayton-Phillips, another WBA youngster, similar ilk to Josh Sims that Moore took to Donny. 

This transfer window 100% sets the tone for what lay ahead. What direction are we taking? Have any lessons been learned from our numerous mistakes? Do we have the ability to expedite our business quickly? The list goes on......

I'd be fairly confident in DM assembling a squad but I fear he'll be left to pick from a list of players inflicted upon him.

Oh, and it's all academic unless we get the transfer embargo lifted asap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Ellis Sims on loan at Blackpool from Everton looks a good striker. Also like the look of Ronan Curtis from Portsmouth, he's scored 33 and assisted 25 in the last 3 seasons in League 1. 

Zero chance on both.

Simms done enough this season with Blackpool to earn a loan move to the championship next year. Everton will wanna push him on.

Im surprised Curtis has stuck with Pompey this long, very much doubt that when he does leave it’ll be to a side in league one. 

7 hours ago, Morepork said:

This transfer window 100% sets the tone for what lay ahead. What direction are we taking? Have any lessons been learned from our numerous mistakes? Do we have the ability to expedite our business quickly? The list goes on......

I'd be fairly confident in DM assembling a squad but I fear he'll be left to pick from a list of players inflicted upon him.

Oh, and it's all academic unless we get the transfer embargo lifted asap.

Absolutely, which is why the re-signing of Joey last year only compounded the misery of -12 and set the narrative for the season

DM needs to have a free hand in recruitment to try and set a positive agenda this season.... with the players and support

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest wilyfox

We need to be finding the new Whelan, Brunt, MacLean, and McGovern. That’s the type of recruitment I wanna see. Suspect most do too. Waldock reminds me a bit of Whelan. Similar attributes. Have to see whether he breaks through to show that kind of quality.

4 hours ago, wilyfox said:

We need to be finding the new Whelan, Brunt, MacLean, and McGovern. That’s the type of recruitment I wanna see. Suspect most do too. Waldock reminds me a bit of Whelan. Similar attributes. Have to see whether he breaks through to show that kind of quality.

I personally expect more from Waldock than from Dele Bashiru and Hunt.

There are plenty of talented PL2 players desperate for permanent club and first team football. Right now we are in position to offer them both serious playing time and god wages.

It is about time to start building our playing squad in the proper manner by signing few young players with potential and building around them.

Guest wilyfox
11 minutes ago, malek said:

I personally expect more from Waldock than from Dele Bashiru and Hunt.

There are plenty of talented PL2 players desperate for permanent club and first team football. Right now we are in position to offer them both serious playing time and god wages.

It is about time to start building our playing squad in the proper manner by signing few young players with potential and building around them.

Think Waldock has potential. Wouldn’t write FDB off yet. Recent signs of improvement with u23s. Always had reservations about Hunt’s slight build. How long do we wait to see if he’ll fill out a bit, and can he protect the ball well enough? 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Think Waldock has potential. Wouldn’t write FDB off yet. Recent signs of improvement with u23s. Always had reservations about Hunt’s slight build. How long do we wait to see if he’ll fill out a bit, and can he protect the ball well enough? 

I don't have reservations regarding Hunt's build, even in League One games are not won by side who wins most aerial duels in the middle of the pitch any more. For a midfielder who want to seat deep and have pitch in front of him he can't defend at all, he is slow to close down and doesn't take good care of the ball when pressed. He has soft touch and is a good passer of the ball when given time and space on it, but in my opinion it is not enough.

Dele-Bashiru got to Man city academy and got signed by us because of his physicality. Problem is that he looks like an athlete and not a footballer, he is tactically and technically poor and most time doesn't understand what he is supposed to do. He plays central midfield, but is not a playmaker, ball winning, box to box midfielder. He doesn't stop opposition attacks, doesn't create or score goals... What does he do ?! Watched him few time play for City U-23 side and thought the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, malek said:

Dele-Bashiru got to Man city academy and got signed by us because of his physicality. Problem is that he looks like an athlete and not a footballer, he is tactically and technically poor and most time doesn't understand what he is supposed to do. He plays central midfield, but is not a playmaker, ball winning, box to box midfielder. He doesn't stop opposition attacks, doesn't create or score goals... What does he do ?! Watched him few time play for City U-23 side and thought the same.

completely agree with that assessment but at the same time i think that's the exciting part about Dele-Bashiru players struggled against him and he rolled many because of his sheer size, it's a massive plus.

As you say though his technical ability is his downfall but that can be worked on and taught. I'd like to see him either given some L1 game time or loaned out and see how he develops.

Elliot Anderson from Newcastle is one i'd throw into the mix, watched him a few months ago vs  a very good Leeds U23's and he looks a good prospect very direct and highly regarded at Newcastle.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

completely agree with that assessment but at the same time i think that's the exciting part about Dele-Bashiru players struggled against him and he rolled many because of his sheer size, it's a massive plus.

As you say though his technical ability is his downfall but that can be worked on and taught. I'd like to see him either given some L1 game time or loaned out and see how he develops.

Elliot Anderson from Newcastle is one i'd throw into the mix, watched him a few months ago vs  a very good Leeds U23's and he looks a good prospect very direct and highly regarded at Newcastle.

Would like to see Dele-Bashiru going out on loan this season, but don't think we will look to send him out.

Watched Elliott Anderson few times (last time in FA Youth Cup against Villa) and thought he is a very good young player and bright prospect. I also think that he is highly rated by Newcastle, but if they were to let him leave on permanent deal I would be very happy if he was to sign for us. One of those PL2 players worth paying 6 figure fee to get.

• Like 1

Dele-Bashiru needs to get some game time, we keep sticking with the same players hoping it will work out - and it hasn't.

I hope we don't go into next season with the same spine to the team - its failed multiple times.

I'm hoping that DM can pick up some decent lower league players and some Premier League young released players. Like we did with Simek, Whelan, Brunt.

2 minutes ago, Pulixifer said:

Hope we are asking for Gavin Bazunu on a full season loan. Be a great place for him to get a full season under his belt, and maybe another in the championship the following year 😃

Didn't do great at Rochdale I'm afraid, got dropped after he made his ROI debut.

Need a bit of experience in the squad and if his wages are not too bad and he's not a total crock Alan Judge has been released by Ipswich. 

Possible that his injuries have finished him though. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Need a bit of experience in the squad and if his wages are not too bad and he's not a total crock Alan Judge has been released by Ipswich. 

Possible that his injuries have finished him though. 

The sort of signing that's helped get us in the mess were in

• Like 6

Just now, bladeshater said:

The sort of signing that's helped get us in the mess were in

Like Ross Wallace and  Glen Loovens. 

Signings like Abdi, Rhodes, Winnall, Lachman etc were the problem. 

Along with numerous loans who never played like Turner. 

Just now, elyowl1 said:

Like Ross Wallace and  Glen Loovens. 

Signings like Abdi, Rhodes, Winnall, Lachman etc were the problem. 

Along with numerous loans who never played like Turner. 

When you look at the money we have wasted on loan signing under DC it's criminal when you see youth players leaving because the club won't pay the few grand a week they want.

as you mention Turner, £30-40k a week on Mcmanman who started 1 game, Butterfield, Onamah, Lazaar, Aarons, Bates, Day Cruz, Wickham, Brown, Marriott, Flint.

I can think of lopez,  Hector and Venancio being the only decent loans we have had, not including the loans we made into permanent in the first season and even Venancio did not play for 6 months because Carlos didn't like him.

This season on Flint, Brown and Marriott in the region of £2m wasted on players to add nothing to the club other than more debt. But Shaw and probably Urhoghide will leave because they want a fraction of what we have wasted on loans.

Only loan players I want to see at SWFC anytime soon are young and hungry players, not injury prone players or those who cannot get into their teams who have no match fitness, we cannot afford to keep wasting millions on loans and letting our young talent leave.

• Like 1