The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

9 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

We have a decent League One defensive midfielder in Pelupessy. 

Moore seems to rate him and I would be surprised if he didn't get offered, sign a new deal and play 40 odd games for us next season.

I don’t mind Joey, think the stick he gets on here is largely OTT. 

I also think he like a few others may be better in a team that has another defensive/all rounder midfielder next to him in a 4231.  I think he looks exposed too often in midfield with Bannan also playing deep. Better players than him have looked overrun in midfield with Bannan. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Moore seems to rate him and I would be surprised if he didn't get offered, sign a new deal and play 40 odd games for us next season.

Your opinion and you are entitled to it , but........................Just no............kin hell.............is it just Wednesday fans  that embrace mediocrity like this ?.............it`s like we WANT to be $hit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

Your opinion and you are entitled to it , but........................Just no............kin hell.............is it just Wednesday fans  that embrace mediocrity like this ?.............it`s like we WANT to be $hit.

We constantly want to reward failure. I remember reading Howson’s ‘who to keep and let go article’ and I nearly spat my coffee out when he wanted to release Hutchinson and Lee’s but retain Odubajo and Pelupessy. 

Nathan Baker would be a good signing from Bristol City if we are going to let Lees go. Baker is a much better defender then Dunkley, in an ideal world you would keep Lees on the right terms, Iorfa, Hutchinson and Baker, sell Dunkley.

Baker is a good solid, reliable CB, will put his head where it hurts be decent in League 1 - he is decent enough in the Championship.

* Importantly he has a good mentality which needs to be looked at with every single  signing. We need characters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

Why do people think pelepussy will be good in L1?

He can’t cope with the physical aspects of the championship, and L1 is far more physical.

Will he have more time on the ball? Will he suddenly realise he is supposed to go forward not backwards? Will he suddenly learn to head the ball?

Im sorry, because I’m sure he is a really nice lad, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he is suited to English football. I honestly think it would be best ted for him to return to the continent. 

Must be the same posters who think Rhodes just needs service.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

personally hope he leaves. Imo he is to weak and will just get bullied off the ball in league one. It is a horrible physical league and imo we need a much stronger more physical presence in midfield next season 

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

He can’t cope with the physical aspects of the championship, and L1 is far more physical.

Will he have more time on the ball? Will he suddenly realise he is supposed to go forward not backwards? Will he suddenly learn to head the ball?

Im sorry, because I’m sure he is a really nice lad, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he is suited to English football. I honestly think it would be best ted for him to return to the continent. 

Here we go with this myth again! League 1 is not some land of giants going round bullying players!  When in reality it's full of young players  from prem that have either Benn loaned or deemed not quite good enough and been released 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Ace? 4 goals in 20 appearances as a forward.

I've never seen him play as far as I can remember so he might be 'ace' in other ways but as a scorer it's a bit of a stretch.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

Here we go with this myth again! League 1 is not some land of giants going round bullying players!  When in reality it's full of young players  from prem that have either Benn loaned or deemed not quite good enough and been released 

Agreed,  I’ve noticed some people still seem to think you need to be like the crazy gang to win matches in league 1.  The reality is the likes of Norwich, Saints, Leicester,  pigs and to some extent the Brentford and Barnsley’s have had success in league 1 and then the championship because they put together a decent football team in league 1, capable of beating anyone outside the PL, particularly at home.  

When we are facing the likes of Cheltenham and Accrington at S6 we need to beat them by our football ability and pace,  not by bullying or hacking at them.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Agreed,  I’ve noticed some people still seem to think you need to be like the crazy gang to win matches in league 1.  The reality is the likes of Norwich, Saints, Leicester,  pigs and to some extent the Brentford and Barnsley’s have had success in league 1 and then the championship because they put together a decent football team in league 1, capable of beating anyone outside the PL, particularly at home.  

When we are facing the likes of Cheltenham and Accrington at S6 we need to beat them by our football ability and pace,  not by bullying or hacking at them.  

Exactely !

Despite all our problems we will still have one of the biggest wage budgets in League one and it would be stupid to pay some of highest wages in division to kick and hustle opposition.

We are in position to bring in some of the best footballers in division and that is what we should do.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
10 minutes ago, prowl said:

Ace? 4 goals in 20 appearances as a forward.

I've never seen him play as far as I can remember so he might be 'ace' in other ways but as a scorer it's a bit of a stretch.

he’s a versatile forward. Led the line well for Wigan recently. He’s the sort of player who could emerge next season if it all comes together for him. Has attributes we need, and the sort of athletic no.9 we don’t have. On a free at 26, might have been useful. But, if he ain’t on the list he can’t come in.

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

Has he not been good in the Championship in the last few months.

Good enough to replace Shaw and Hutchinson in that position.

Surely League one is a step down in quality so he should continue to do ok.

As good as Pelupessy could be in League 1, the reaction to him re-signing will cause more harm than good. We’ll be under a even bigger cloud than we are now if we re-sign him and the likes of Harris, Odubajo and Reach. As unrealistic a proposition as bouncing straight back to the championship maybe, we need a fresh start and approach. Do I think we’ll get it? No 🤬

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

Ok. So in either scenario; footballing or bullying explain where pelepussy fits in? He can’t tackle, gets knocked over easier than a six year old can only pass backwards has no pace and never gets over the half way line. 

37 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Has he not been good in the Championship in the last few months.

Good enough to replace Shaw and Hutchinson in that position.

Surely League one is a step down in quality so he should continue to do ok.

You actually think he’s a better footballer than those two. Hutch was needed at the back and shaw was needed in Scotland. No way in any other circumstances would he get picked. The only reason he has “ improved” is the same as Fox.....the team has got progressively worse, so he hasn’t looked quite as bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

You actually think he’s a better footballer than those two. Hutch was needed at the back and shaw was needed in Scotland. No way in any other circumstances would he get picked. The only reason he has “ improved” is the same as Fox.....the team has got progressively worse, so he hasn’t looked quite as bad.

We will find out next season when he plays every week in League One.

Why do people think we are in a position to offer competitive wages at League One level?

We have a owner who is not going to put anymore money in, and who refuses to sell. Future money from season tickets has already been spent in covering previous years losses. People are not going to risk buying new season tickets with the risk of a lockdown. POTG money will hardly make a dent in the numbers, and we make sweet FA from the commercial side of the club.

• Haha 1

Where Chansiri said that he won't put anymore money in ?

It is a genuine question as I certainly missed it and thought that him offering Bannan two year deal on what probably makes him one of the highest (if not the) paid players in League One ?!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jim said:

As good as Pelupessy could be in League 1, the reaction to him re-signing will cause more harm than good. We’ll be under a even bigger cloud than we are now if we re-sign him and the likes of Harris, Odubajo and Reach. As unrealistic a proposition as bouncing straight back to the championship maybe, we need a fresh start and approach. Do I think we’ll get it? No 🤬

I agree with the idea that we need a fresh start and approach if we are to get back to the Championship. I don't agree that re-signing a good L1 player is a bad idea. Pelupessy is competent at what he does, whether fans like him is irrelevent.  He reminds me of Semedo in some ways, He gave his all at Championship level and never gave up trying, lacking the ability at top end Championship but decent at what he does. Semedo was a fan favourite, a minor legend, Pelupessy is a hate figure for many.

If we can find better at a cheaper wage I'm all for replacing him,  I've no great love for the lad, respect, yes. I suspect he will be off back to Holland as soon as we tell him what we will be paying him if he signs a new contract.

Harris won't stay, he will get a game in the Championship next year,  he's be fine if he could cross the ball. Reach will certainly be off, you could see that from March onwards. Odubajo, I'd keep if he will accept the right wage, I just wouldn't let him near our defence, he'd be a good winger.