The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

32 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Never rated him. We need someone who scores not another lump who’s good in the air throw on the floor.

He can at least be the target man we need. Even if he doesn't score he can hold the ball upfront until our other players amble up to assist.

We are at the stage where we might have to take what we can rather than what we really want. Survive in this division and rethink in summer.

2 hours ago, Mick70 said:

This is the bit I don’t understand either? It’s a rolling 3 yr thing? We spent big first two seasons they have now dropped off and we got punished for those? Only big earners left atm Rhodes , Bannan , lees , Westwood? Maybe van aken ? Know wages come into it aswell as fees but since van aken we prob spent 2/3 m max? On iorfa pelepoop windass Paterson? Received 1.5 hunt joao 5/6m Bruce compo package ? Any body shed any light?

I think it is down to amortisation.

Hope I have got this right.

For accounting purposes Its common practice in football to spread the transfer fee over the full length of the contract. As an example if Rhodes cost us 8 million and is on a 4 year contract it works out at 2 million per year on the balance sheet.

Therefore we will still be seeing the impact of the Rhodes and Van Aiken signings on this years balance sheet. Also because  of the rolling 3 year contract even after they have moved on you still feel the impact for 2 years further.

So if you think about it we are also still feeling the impact of the Hooper, Jones and Abdi signings as they are still taken into account on the 3 year rolling FFP.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

No way should we consider buying Jutkiewicz, a loan maybe, but we really need to buy a younger forward. We are likely to find ourselves in a similar position to that which we found ourselves in last summer, needing to bring in 4 or 5 strikers That is an impossible task, as we saw last season. To make that mistake once is bad enough, but to fall into that trap twice would be criminal

We need to get what we need to stay up.  Jutkiewicz if he kept us up would be worth every penny.  

3 hours ago, prowl said:

He can at least be the target man we need. Even if he doesn't score he can hold the ball upfront until our other players amble up to assist.

We are at the stage where we might have to take what we can rather than what we really want. Survive in this division and rethink in summer.

That’s true but to survive we need goals. We haven’t got them anywhere we need a striker to score. If we could get 2 in then one to hold the ball up I can live with but I don’t think we’ll get any. 

Thought I'd just post this in here as it's about transfers in this window.

Well worth a listen if you've got the time. From Radio 5's Football Daily with Darragh MacAnthony, Lyle Taylor and an agent, talking about transfers in this challenging time for clubs and players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p095f92l

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I'm calling it. Mods, please close the thread.

Time of death 12:18pm Pacific Standard Time

RIP - January Transfer Megathread. You never stood a chance.

May as well do the same with the “Next Manager Odds” thread too.

• Like 3