The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, RedDragonOwl said:

Well unfortunately any player who wants a decent career as a footballer isn't going to want to sign for us.

yawn

2 hours ago, malek said:

Out of players released by Premiership clubs, Danny Cashman from Brighton and Alfie Matthews from palace ticks the boxes for club like ours. Both are young, very talented and affordable.

There is always element of risk when bringing new players in, especially as young and inexperienced but both look good enough to challenge for starting spot in League One Next season.

Villa's Charlie Farr looked good on either wing on their way to FA Youth Cup win.

Everton released Josh Bowler who is very talented but had his fair share of injury problems and would be a gamble. Readings Ryan East was one of PL2 top playmakers, but just as Bowler at 22 should be able to fit into starting 11 right away and although both look like good options I'm sure that we can do better.

Callum Connolly is a defender who did really well last season on loan at Fleetwood and got plenty of first team experience. Though, it seems it is one position where we have enough cover especially if Agbontohoma signs.

Biggest name cut down from splendid Leeds academy is Aaron Pilkington. Another defender, but one who can play anywhere across back line.

Joe Hardy is a quick and nippy Liverpool striker with scoring record of goal every other game last season in PL2. Again, if Hagan turns down our contract offer someone to keep an eye on.

We are already in for Southampton's David Agbontohoma and I can see us going for Josh Sims who already worked with Moore now that he is available on free transfer. Another players they released is their U-23 captain Thomas O'Connor who is a leader with never say die attitude and who spent last two seasons out on loan at Gillingham so knows League One really well. If we are to have small squad his versatility (can play CB, LB ,DM, CM) would come in handy.

I'd love for us to have a young squad, full of players with resale value. Sadly our owner and recruitment team wouldn't be as forward thinking and even if they did sign any of those, they'd probably give them one year contracts and lose them for nothing or peanuts 🙈

• Like 2

I heard over the weekend that we’ve offered Charlie Mulgrew a contract. (Cue the, how we paying him replies) but then the same bloke also told me Dundee United interested too. 

18 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I heard over the weekend that we’ve offered Charlie Mulgrew a contract. (Cue the, how we paying him replies) but then the same bloke also told me Dundee United interested too. 

Makes sense left sided central defender or full back. Good left foot. Legs must have gone now so ticks all boxes

• Haha 1

Somehow I missed that Manchester United released their 19 years old playmaker Mark Helm. They have plenty of talent in that position, but I don't feel like Helm is the one they should have let go.

United U-23's play same 4-2-3-1 formation that we are supposed to use next season under Moore, Helm knows the role inside out and would fit in here perfectly.

Out of all players released from PL2 this Summer I feel that Cashman and Helm would add the most to team like ours.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I think Mulgrew is keen to go back to Scotland. Partick Thistle are trying to sign him too which would be very ambitious for them being in the Scottish Championship.

I suggested we sign him on here about 12 years ago before he went to Celtic.

Edited by edinburghowl

6 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I think Mulgrew is keen to go back to Scotland. Partick Thistle are trying to sign him too which would be very ambitious for them being in the Scottish Championship.

Yes I don’t disagree at all. Certainly sounds like we’ve made contact but my mate said he’s also had offers from Scotland, specifically Dundee United. 

On 05/06/2021 at 11:34, malek said:

Out of players released by Premiership clubs, Danny Cashman from Brighton and Alfie Matthews from palace ticks the boxes for club like ours. Both are young, very talented and affordable.

There is always element of risk when bringing new players in, especially as young and inexperienced but both look good enough to challenge for starting spot in League One Next season.

Villa's Charlie Farr looked good on either wing on their way to FA Youth Cup win.

Everton released Josh Bowler who is very talented but had his fair share of injury problems and would be a gamble. Readings Ryan East was one of PL2 top playmakers, but just as Bowler at 22 should be able to fit into starting 11 right away and although both look like good options I'm sure that we can do better.

Callum Connolly is a defender who did really well last season on loan at Fleetwood and got plenty of first team experience. Though, it seems it is one position where we have enough cover especially if Agbontohoma signs.

Biggest name cut down from splendid Leeds academy is Aaron Pilkington. Another defender, but one who can play anywhere across back line.

Joe Hardy is a quick and nippy Liverpool striker with scoring record of goal every other game last season in PL2. Again, if Hagan turns down our contract offer someone to keep an eye on.

We are already in for Southampton's David Agbontohoma and I can see us going for Josh Sims who already worked with Moore now that he is available on free transfer. Another players they released is their U-23 captain Thomas O'Connor who is a leader with never say die attitude and who spent last two seasons out on loan at Gillingham so knows League One really well. If we are to have small squad his versatility (can play CB, LB ,DM, CM) would come in handy.

Are any of these players amateurs? Professionals tend to want to get paid.

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

If I remember it right, Sturrock wanted to bring him here from Celtic but he got bad injury and transfer fell through. 

Guest Therealrealist
56 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Are any of these players amateurs? Professionals tend to want to get paid.

They do get paid

Transfer window officially opens tomorrow and pre season starts in 20 days. 

Lots of work to do to recruit a squad...and still work to do to pay wages from last year, refund season ticket holders from the year before, submit the accounts to lift the embargo, also release the kit and ticket details for next season. 

14 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

That left-back we were linked with, Scott Tanser, has joined St.Mirren.

I’m still hopeful the lad from Donny comes in once we’ve stabilised our financial peril. 

Ticks the right boxes.

24 minutes ago, striker said:

Transfer window officially opens tomorrow and pre season starts in 20 days. 

Lots of work to do to recruit a squad...and still work to do to pay wages from last year, refund season ticket holders from the year before, submit the accounts to lift the embargo, also release the kit and ticket details for next season. 

lol

Going swimmingly isn`t it !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3