The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I’d be sad to see Paterson go. I think he’d do really well in league one just as Kuqi did briefly. But the reasons are stacking up for various players to leave.

I think Paterson got games each week here and scored goals so his failure to make it as a striker for Scotland is more to do with the lack of impact when he played for them. But he will want to play SPL or Championship to get back in.

Borner is another one whod be handy in league one not least due to his goals, like Reda. But he must be on a handy wage (when paid ffs)

Being linked with 19 year old keepers doesnt fill me with confidence to be honest. But then again I’ve not seen a positive story come from the club since xmas 2019 with the exception of DM joining. Sounds like we might have some bottoming out to do after all.

I think the trouble we have is many of our contracted players could be handy in the league below, but when they earn 7.5K - 20K they are comfortably the best paid players in that division (if you consider recently scrapped salary cap would mean most players were circa 3.5K).

Then it becomes a value question, as in even if you're the best player at our club or in the league, does that warrent you earning 4-6 players salary? Does having players on 10K plus make us more competitive if they have to play with others on 1-2K if we cannot afford to pay everyone an average wage due to having our 'stars'.

I think Borner, Paterson, Windass, Bannan etc will all be on their way if we can move them on. Their combined salary likely covers some squads costs in this league and as good as they are they cant win games all on their own.

46 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I think the trouble we have is many of our contracted players could be handy in the league below, but when they earn 7.5K - 20K they are comfortably the best paid players in that division (if you consider recently scrapped salary cap would mean most players were circa 3.5K).

Then it becomes a value question, as in even if you're the best player at our club or in the league, does that warrent you earning 4-6 players salary? Does having players on 10K plus make us more competitive if they have to play with others on 1-2K if we cannot afford to pay everyone an average wage due to having our 'stars'.

I think Borner, Paterson, Windass, Bannan etc will all be on their way if we can move them on. Their combined salary likely covers some squads costs in this league and as good as they are they cant win games all on their own.

An equal salary for most players, with the possible exception of a prolific striker.....smells like team spirit and a TOTAL rebuild

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0114 said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sheffield-wednesday-griffiths-brom-transfer-20720303#comments-section

Also linked with Josh Griffiths yesterday. West Brom GK who played on loan at Cheltenham last season. 

Probably caught the eye while we watched Boyle. If WBA agree to pay his wages, than we might actually get him 😅

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, camffiti said:

post-445-0-00880000-1343483240_thumb.png

A few League1 clubs have started signing players already 

ITFC signed Wes Burns yesterday, from Fleetwood.

They are also set to sign Lee Evans from Wigan, today 

We will be searching through the bins at the end of August.

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I'm nominating Hagan to be our top scorer btw.

Need him to sign up first. Can see him being the next to turn down our pittance of a contract offer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, camffiti said:

post-445-0-00880000-1343483240_thumb.png

A few League1 clubs have started signing players already 

ITFC signed Wes Burns yesterday, from Fleetwood.

They are also set to sign Lee Evans from Wigan, today 

Wonder what Ipswich fans think of Those 2 deals,  pretty average IMO 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

I'm guessing they're in the 'Give em a chance FFS' stage 

I don't know much about either player tbh 

22 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Looking at Ipswich fans reaction they are all saying Evans is a great signing and is likely to go straight in as Ipswich captain next season

Ipswich are likely to be the big spenders in league 1 due to recent takeover

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

Looking at Ipswich fans reaction they are all saying Evans is a great signing and is likely to go straight in as Ipswich captain next season

Ipswich are likely to be the big spenders in league 1 due to recent takeover

Evans is a really good League One player on modest wages who wont let them down. Good signing for them. 

• Like 1

Brighton saved themselves embarrassment of releasing Marc Leonard after making U turn and offering him new contract. Instead they decided to release Danny Cashman. Cashman plays wide right or upfront, is very quick and superb on the ball and should be on our radar as someone who is talented and we should be able to afford, especially if we lose Hagan.

• Love 1

Out of players released by Premiership clubs, Danny Cashman from Brighton and Alfie Matthews from palace ticks the boxes for club like ours. Both are young, very talented and affordable.

There is always element of risk when bringing new players in, especially as young and inexperienced but both look good enough to challenge for starting spot in League One Next season.

Villa's Charlie Farr looked good on either wing on their way to FA Youth Cup win.

Everton released Josh Bowler who is very talented but had his fair share of injury problems and would be a gamble. Readings Ryan East was one of PL2 top playmakers, but just as Bowler at 22 should be able to fit into starting 11 right away and although both look like good options I'm sure that we can do better.

Callum Connolly is a defender who did really well last season on loan at Fleetwood and got plenty of first team experience. Though, it seems it is one position where we have enough cover especially if Agbontohoma signs.

Biggest name cut down from splendid Leeds academy is Aaron Pilkington. Another defender, but one who can play anywhere across back line.

Joe Hardy is a quick and nippy Liverpool striker with scoring record of goal every other game last season in PL2. Again, if Hagan turns down our contract offer someone to keep an eye on.

We are already in for Southampton's David Agbontohoma and I can see us going for Josh Sims who already worked with Moore now that he is available on free transfer. Another players they released is their U-23 captain Thomas O'Connor who is a leader with never say die attitude and who spent last two seasons out on loan at Gillingham so knows League One really well. If we are to have small squad his versatility (can play CB, LB ,DM, CM) would come in handy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, malek said:

Out of players released by Premiership clubs, Danny Cashman from Brighton and Alfie Matthews from palace ticks the boxes for club like ours. Both are young, very talented and affordable.

There is always element of risk when bringing new players in, especially as young and inexperienced but both look good enough to challenge for starting spot in League One Next season.

Villa's Charlie Farr looked good on either wing on their way to FA Youth Cup win.

Everton released Josh Bowler who is very talented but had his fair share of injury problems and would be a gamble. Readings Ryan East was one of PL2 top playmakers, but just as Bowler at 22 should be able to fit into starting 11 right away and although both look like good options I'm sure that we can do better.

Callum Connolly is a defender who did really well last season on loan at Fleetwood and got plenty of first team experience. Though, it seems it is one position where we have enough cover especially if Agbontohoma signs.

Biggest name cut down from splendid Leeds academy is Aaron Pilkington. Another defender, but one who can play anywhere across back line.

Joe Hardy is a quick and nippy Liverpool striker with scoring record of goal every other game last season in PL2. Again, if Hagan turns down our contract offer someone to keep an eye on.

We are already in for Southampton's David Agbontohoma and I can see us going for Josh Sims who already worked with Moore now that he is available on free transfer. Another players they released is their U-23 captain Thomas O'Connor who is a leader with never say die attitude and who spent last two seasons out on loan at Gillingham so knows League One really well. If we are to have small squad his versatility (can play CB, LB ,DM, CM) would come in handy.

When ever I read your posts I’m filled with hope and optimism. If we can shift out 2-3 funding 7-10 players from U23, League 1-2, LOI, SPL should be very doable! 1 Barry Bannan equals 10 of these 😕 

• Like 3