Thorsten Fink

1 hour ago, 109Waddle said:

I take your point, every new manager will bring a level of risk. An example, Paul Cook you would expect to be less risky than Thorsten Fink?

Less risky in what regard?  Paul cook may know more about English football, Fink may be more tactically astute. Swings and roundabouts 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Less risky in what regard?  Paul cook may know more about English football, Fink may be more tactically astute. Swings and roundabouts 

Good point. I guess it’s all about what the recruiter values most. For me, I’d want someone who already has experience of who we are as a club, fan base, the league, the competition, teams and personnel around us. That’s just me though. Yes, I appreciate Pulis had all those things, but his style of football was atrocious. Guess we wait and see who DC goes for. If he goes unknown foreign coach let’s hope it’s more Carlos and les Jos.

5 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

Good point. I guess it’s all about what the recruiter values most. For me, I’d want someone who already has experience of who we are as a club, fan base, the league, the competition, teams and personnel around us. That’s just me though. Yes, I appreciate Pulis had all those things, but his style of football was atrocious. Guess we wait and see who DC goes for. If he goes unknown foreign coach let’s hope it’s more Carlos and les Jos.

I don’t think anyone of note has much of an idea about us as a club anymore, and I personally don’t agree that having that installs success. We’ve seen people come to the clubs over the years who say they understand how steeped in tradition the club is, yet have brought zero results.

Look at clubs like wolves, Bournemouth, Brighton, Burnley etc. I can’t imagine these clubs were bought for their identity or fanbase. You just need a solid structure, a plan and good players 

Just bumping this thread as I’ve hijacked the Cook one with posts about Fink. So apologies about that.  Some more interesting comments about Fink here.... 

Former Bayern star Bastian Schweinsteiger once

claimed Fink could one day return to manage the Bundesliga champions, he added:

“[Even as a player] he taught us a lot about discipline, positioning and tactics. It was clear to all of us that he would one day become a coach.

“I am convinced that Thorsten would make a very good coach of Bayern. He has the necessary mentality and self-confidence. At Basel, he has proven he can handle the pressure of managing a title favourite.”

• Like 5
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Just bumping this thread as I’ve hijacked the Cook one with posts about Fink. So apologies about that.  Some more interesting comments about Fink here.... 

“[Even as a player] he taught us a lot about discipline, positioning and tactics. It was clear to all of us that he would one day become a coach.

“I am convinced that Thorsten would make a very good coach of Bayern. He has the necessary mentality and self-confidence. At Basel, he has proven he can handle the pressure of managing a title favourite.”

To Bayern via Wednesday does have a certain ring to it.

lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

I think a CC type (left field potentially foreign) appointment is what we need after Bruce Monk and Pulis. More so as a club and fanbase off the field 

We went British, for me Bruce was the one. He then shafted us. The next 2 were downgrades on Bruce but similar type of appointments, British and experienced. 

We’re now running out of that pool and I’m personally finding it a bit underwhelming 

Could go horribly wrong, ideally this would be happening at the end of the season with us having stayed up and not when or fate is in the balance. Ffs  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I think a CC type (left field potentially foreign) appointment is what we need after Bruce Monk and Pulis. More so as a club and fanbase off the field 

We went British, for me Bruce was the one. He then shafted us. The next 2 were downgrades on Bruce but similar type of appointments, British and experienced. 

We’re now running out of that pool and I’m personally finding it a bit underwhelming 

Could go horribly wrong, ideally this would be happening at the end of the season with us having stayed up and not when or fate is in the balance. Ffs  

Bruce was a good appointment.

Monk had been sacked from his last two clubs and hadn't really achieved anything at any club, as the Peterborough chairman says about him "he must have best agent in country to keep getting big clubs to appoint him on back of constant failure"

Pulis was doomed from start, squad was never going to be suited to his brand of football. 

So don't think we have to go foreign, a British manager with experience but still on the up, one that has never been sacked or failed in over 13 years in management, one who has sort of "character" that will give the club a lift, A manager who gets the club, and who prefers a front foot positive style would do very nicely, step forward.... Paul Cook.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hornsby said:

Fink has shocking allegations of racism round him so no thanks.

I understand your point and I don't want to escalate this thread and ruin it (kinda like how the thread about this subject was like), but like you said "allegations." If you got this from his Wikipedia page (I wouldn't take stuff either way as gospel on websites like that ect. anyway), it says "accused" and "reported." From the information I've seen it's looks like one person's word (kinda like the forestieri incident.) Like I said I don't wanna ruin this thread by escalating it any further, so won't be posting anymore about the subject. I just wanted to try and give a balanced view on it, as I haven't seen any proof that he is a racist/or not anywhere.     

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, debram said:

I've just looked on Wikipedia to check on Fink, they have his current managerial post as Sheffield Wednesday, can someone else have a look to confirm or am I going mad. 

No you're not going mad haha, but I've said on this thread or another that anyone can changed stuff on Wikipedia (for a certain amount of time anyway I think.) 

3 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

No you're not going mad haha, but I've said on this thread or another that anyone can changed stuff on Wikipedia (for a certain amount of time anyway I think.) 

OK cheers, didn't know that. 

• Like 1