Thorsten Fink

11 minutes ago, debram said:

I've just looked on Wikipedia to check on Fink, they have his current managerial post as Sheffield Wednesday, can someone else have a look to confirm or am I going mad. 

Yesterday, Wkipedia saying that Paul Cook is also our manager.

Is this one of those 'Joint Manager' arrangements? Or has DC sacked Cook already??

• Haha 3

His preferred formation like people have said is 4-3-3, but from his recent clubs he's also played varied 3 at the back formations, 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/thorsten-fink/profil/trainer/3770 Just click on the number of matches for each club and you will see them ect.    

30 minutes ago, debram said:

OK cheers, didn't know that. 

No problem, if my memory is correct you have to sign up to do it though. I think it gets checked after awhile.

• Thanks 1

Guest Hornsby
1 hour ago, Incognito Owl said:

I understand your point and I don't want to escalate this thread and ruin it (kinda like how the thread about this subject was like), but like you said "allegations." If you got this from his Wikipedia page (I wouldn't take stuff either way as gospel on websites like that ect. anyway), it says "accused" and "reported." From the information I've seen it's looks like one person's word (kinda like the forestieri incident.) Like I said I don't wanna ruin this thread by escalating it any further, so won't be posting anymore about the subject. I just wanted to try and give a balanced view on it, as I haven't seen any proof that he is a racist/or not anywhere.     

Fair enough, but why risk it as we have a diverse squad, city, fan base, sponsors, investors, etc.

1 hour ago, jacko1992 said:

Anyone. Can edit. Wikipedia. 

The funniest edit I ever saw on Wikipedia which for some reason upset a few Rotherham fans was when somebody had put that David Van Day ( former singer for pop group Dollar) used to play for them 😂

Mirror Mirror was a very good pop song.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Christ alive, take the EFL tinted glasses off. A CV no way comparable to Paul Cook? 

Played for Bayern Munich vs played for Wolves.
Getting management jobs at Basel, Grasshopper, Vissel and Hamburg vs Accrington, Chesterfield, Wigan and Portsmouth

I bet Vissel Kobe weren't sat debating between Thorsten Fink and Paul Cook in 2019 for who best to manage Iniesta, Podolski and Vermaelen. 

To say Cook is more suited for our post and current situation is one thing and something I'd be prepared to debate over

But to say his CV is in no way comparable to Paul Cook is really stretching it.  

Without a doubt Fink had a more illustrious playing career - no debate on that one.  You are also right to cite suitability for the role given our current position as a possible reason to favour Cook.  

When it comes to managerial success, I still believe Cook’s achievements exceed those of Fink.  Two titles in Switzerland have to be respected, but Basel are serial winners domestically and I have doubts as to how competitive the league really is.  Also, those wins were 10 years ago, since when Cook has won promotion as champions at 3 separate clubs.  Since 2011 Fink’s only real success has been two cup wins in Japan, which shouldn’t be discounted but my knowledge of Japanese football is minimal so hard to judge how significant an achievement this represents.

Ive certainly nothing against a foreign manager and would like to think I’m not too blinkered as far as EFL experience goes.  Having said that, Cook to me has the feel of a winner about him when it comes to management.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Steve Down South said:

Without a doubt Fink had a more illustrious playing career - no debate on that one.  You are also right to cite suitability for the role given our current position as a possible reason to favour Cook.  

When it comes to managerial success, I still believe Cook’s achievements exceed those of Fink.  Two titles in Switzerland have to be respected, but Basel are serial winners domestically and I have doubts as to how competitive the league really is.  Also, those wins were 10 years ago, since when Cook has won promotion as champions at 3 separate clubs.  Since 2011 Fink’s only real success has been two cup wins in Japan, which shouldn’t be discounted but my knowledge of Japanese football is minimal so hard to judge how significant an achievement this represents.

Ive certainly nothing against a foreign manager and would like to think I’m not too blinkered as far as EFL experience goes.  Having said that, Cook to me has the feel of a winner about him when it comes to management.

Harder to get trophies in top divisions though. As mentioned Basel didn’t win it before he joined.

Austria Wien have Rapid and Salzburg up there to compete against, Salzburg being dominant 

Hamburg have the obvious big hitters over there. 

Portsmouth in L2 had much lesser standing clubs to compete against and Wigan were no minnows in L1. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Surely Cook's managerial career must far outweigh that of Mauricio Pochettino's aswell then because he has won nothing in his career and Cook has. Or are you trying to tell me Wigan and Chesterfield are better than Basel.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Surely Cook's managerial career must far outweigh that of Mauricio Pochettino's aswell then because he has won nothing in his career and Cook has. Or are you trying to tell me Wigan and Chesterfield are better than Basel.

Of course not, I think you are being a bit obtuse.  With Pochettino, he’s done well at the top level wherever he’s been, plus we’ve all had the advantage of seeing how his teams play.  I doubt many people on Owlstalk were avid followers of Basel back in 2010, so who knows how Fink’s teams play.

As stated before, I’ve absolutely nothing against a foreign manager, but Fink’s biggest achievements are disappearing in the rear view mirror and in a league which (I believe) was historically not the strongest.  Unless you are swayed by the fact that Fink played for Bayern Munich (impressive I admit), I don’t think his managerial track record suggests he would be a better choice than Cook.  

Unfortunately you could probably give the job to either one and they will struggle given the current state of the club and our incompetent chairman.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Of course not, I think you are being a bit obtuse.  With Pochettino, he’s done well at the top level wherever he’s been, plus we’ve all had the advantage of seeing how his teams play.  I doubt many people on Owlstalk were avid followers of Basel back in 2010, so who knows how Fink’s teams play.

As stated before, I’ve absolutely nothing against a foreign manager, but Fink’s biggest achievements are disappearing in the rear view mirror and in a league which (I believe) was historically not the strongest.  Unless you are swayed by the fact that Fink played for Bayern Munich (impressive I admit), I don’t think his managerial track record suggests he would be a better choice than Cook.  

Unfortunately you could probably give the job to either one and they will struggle given the current state of the club and our incompetent chairman.

Didn't he with two things in his last job last year. 

Could Cook be a better choice then Fink. Maybe yeah. 

But I ain't having in a million years that Cook's managerial career has been more of a success than Finks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Didn't he with two things in his last job last year. 

Could Cook be a better choice then Fink. Maybe yeah. 

But I ain't having in a million years that Cook's managerial career has been more of a success than Finks.

You’re right, he won two cups in Japan.  One thing is for sure, whoever gets the job has their work cut out.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

You’re right, he won two cups in Japan.  One thing is for sure, whoever gets the job has their work cut out.  

The Japanese version of the FA Cup and then the Japanese Charity Shield (a one-off match) the next season. So one cup really as I don't think the Charity Shield really counts as a proper trophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1