4 games in, how's he doing

C

We are becoming better organised - Yes, it's a start. And that has to be massively applauded in so short a time.
It was refreshing to see real management last night.

However,  keep on dropping two points every game and we are down. At some stage (  see plonks post above )

Someones got to fix the rudder

• Like 2

Way too early to be judged.

You're only as good as your tools and our squad hasn't got the attacking quality needed to be successful. 

We just have to try and keep chipping away at the gap until January. 

Time for supporters to be supporters, sit back and let the process happen

• Like 2

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Easily pleased some of you Statistically, he’s doing worse than Monk, and I never thought that would be possible. Needs a win on Saturday, if this sort of points return continues, we’ll be down by Easter

We’d have got 0 points under Monk in these 4 games. Go shove your stats up your arris!!

Four tough games and a reasonable points haul from them considering the tools at his disposal and the red cards and the subsequent suspensions they occur.

The old adage in football is you start a game with a point and even though you want to pick up the extra two, you don’t lose the one you’ve already got. You can see Pulis does work to this principle quite clearly.

Positives from four games is the defensive shape. Lees and Borner look a good pairing and if Luongo can stay available then he is crucial to improving our defensive strength.

I think Reach and Harris will get a run in their favoured positions and they and we’ll benefit as a result. Reach in particular has been more effective in four games for TP then he ever was for Monk.

I think it’s a case of wait and see what we can get points wise between now and the end of the month. Hopefully Windass returning can help us be better from a goalscoring perspective under TP?

• Like 1

You look at game by game and apart from Preston, which he cant be blamed for there decent results.

But we've got to turn draws into wins.

If we can get two wins on spin situation will look alot better and then hopefully two fast powerful strikers in in January.

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

We’d have got 0 points under Monk in these 4 games. Go shove your stats up your arris!!

Why do people insist this is true?

Monk had us beating Cardiff and Birmingham away and Bournemouth.  Real, actual victories against fancied teams. 

• Like 3

How can people be giving him a B? We did well last night after the red and that was a good point. 

But 0 wins in 4 games is no where near good enough. Particularly for a new manager. 

Draws will not keep us in this league. Particularly at home. 

Ill be generous and give him a C- 

But his current form isn't inspiring me that we will get out of this mess. If his plan is to draw games until January when he can bring players in I am afraid we will be dead and buried by then. 

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, Jim said:

Four tough games and a reasonable points haul from them considering the tools at his disposal and the red cards and the subsequent suspensions they occur.

The old adage in football is you start a game with a point and even though you want to pick up the extra two, you don’t lose the one you’ve already got. You can see Pulis does work to this principle quite clearly.

Positives from four games is the defensive shape. Lees and Borner look a good pairing and if Luongo can stay available then he is crucial to improving our defensive strength.

I think Reach and Harris will get a run in their favoured positions and they and we’ll benefit as a result. Reach in particular has been more effective in four games for TP then he ever was for Monk.

I think it’s a case of wait and see what we can get points wise between now and the end of the month. Hopefully Windass returning can help us be better from a goalscoring perspective under TP?

3 points from a possible 12 is reasonable? For a new manager? 

If he doesn't win Saturday thats 5 without a win........ and eyebrows start to be raised. 

I never wanted pulis but I will support him. However he needed a manager to come in and lift the team. He is too similar to monk for me 

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Monk had us beating Cardiff and Birmingham away and Bournemouth.  Real, actual victories against fancied teams. 

And had us losing against Wycombe, Rotherham and Luton.

Real, actual dogśhit teams.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Alan said:

A-

He can't help the fact we hsve had reds.. I believe we would be out of the drop zone by now without them, and no one would be moaning. 

He is working with a good few of the tools missing from the box. 

This ^  it’s funny to me how some people expect us to be able to beat Swansea, Stoke, Reading and Norwich, whilst having players injured and suspended.  It’s almost like they haven’t seen this team play since last Xmas.  The fact we’ve got 3 points from those games so far is very good. I hoped for 2 points at most. 

Pulis isn’t a miracle worker, and klopp and Pep wouldn’t have got any more points with our group of attacking players either. 

Get past Norwich and then we have about 10 matches where we can realistically get some wins, we’re only a couple of wins from safety as it stands.   But without signing better forwards it’s going to be difficult.  Monk/Chansiri left the squad in a right mess 

B++ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Appreciate we lack quality up top but I’ve not seen much evidence of any real plan of attack. Last night was obviously tough but at times we were shockingly bad at keeping the ball and holding it up to relieve the pressure. We got lucky to hold onto the draw, but can’t knock the effort so we made our own luck I guess.

Pulis gets a C from me. He’s done Ok, what I expected re the defence which is a solid start but disappointed that we haven’t found a way of threatening the opposition more regularly. We do have more forward options than Paterson in the squad.

• Love 1

With what he has at his disposal, the opposition he’s faced and the circumstances that have occurred during games, it’s a B- grade from myself.

Preston was a disappointment even with a man sent off. I felt that they were there to be beaten and we handed it to them. The other three games have been results that I wouldn’t have expected us to get and defensively sound displays we wouldn’t have gotten with Monk.

Börner is looking like his old self again and I couldn’t be happier with that. Odubajo looks like he has future here as well if he’s used as a winger rather than a defensive player. 

But as as everyone else has said already....

Strikers, Strikers, Strikers.

10 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

This ^  it’s funny to me how some people expect us to be able to beat Swansea, Stoke, Reading and Norwich, whilst having players injured and suspended.  It’s almost like they haven’t seen this team play since last Xmas.  The fact we’ve got 3 points from those games so far is very good. I hoped for 2 points at most. 

Pulis isn’t a miracle worker, and klopp and Pep wouldn’t have got any more points with our group of attacking players either. 

Get past Norwich and then we have about 10 matches where we can realistically get some wins, we’re only a couple of wins from safety as it stands.   But without signing better forwards it’s going to be difficult.  Monk/Chansiri left the squad in a right mess 

B++ 

Call me crazy, but I think we can get something from Norwich. They’re having a terrible time with injuries and suspension and have just started to wobble form wise. A smash and grab is a real possibility.

if we can take advantage of that it’s a great spring board for those next ten ‘easier’ games.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Manwë said:

You are right.

I must admit I am feeling more confident with TP in charge. We are getting what I expected; consistent displays and tight games. Circumstances with red cards, no striker's etc have made it more difficult, so well done so far.

BUT

With GM we would have been inconsistent, probably been hammered in some games, especially last night, but also just as likely to have won one, as we had as mentioned by Manwe above.

We would most likely be on the same points but I think the consistent displays will win out in the end especially if we are able to get a more balanced side in the transfer window.

Get Saturday out of the way and we then have some winnable games

Judgement can then be done from the games in December and not these first 4

Points against teams in the top 6, especially in our situation, should be seen as points gained

Our fate will be decided against teams in the bottom half, something that Monk made a pigs ear of

• Thanks 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, Manwë said:

Because we had ten men in two of them and Monk has no plan B. We’d have been pummeled!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Ha ha, whatever floats your boat. For me, it’s grim, and it’s not bringing us wins, which we need

It wasn’t grim under Monk? Jesus, what were you watching??