4 games in, how's he doing

48 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

This ^  it’s funny to me how some people expect us to be able to beat Swansea, Stoke, Reading and Norwich, whilst having players injured and suspended.  It’s almost like they haven’t seen this team play since last Xmas.  The fact we’ve got 3 points from those games so far is very good. I hoped for 2 points at most. 

Pulis isn’t a miracle worker, and klopp and Pep wouldn’t have got any more points with our group of attacking players either. 

Get past Norwich and then we have about 10 matches where we can realistically get some wins, we’re only a couple of wins from safety as it stands.   But without signing better forwards it’s going to be difficult.  Monk/Chansiri left the squad in a right mess 

B++ 

Absolutely right mate, if we can still only be a couple of wins off safety going into January then that’s not a terrible place to be. Given the points deduction and disruption this season and weak squad of forwards. Pulis will sign the players we need in January, that much is clear from what he’s saying.  We just need to hold onto the coat tails of the teams above and we’ve done that during a tough run of games 

• Like 1

B+

unlike Monk, Pulis seems to have back up plans. 

I don’t think we would have won any of the last 4 games if GM was still at the helm. 

we’re hamstrung at the moment with an impotent strike force. So we have to cut our cloth accordingly. If you can’t win, make sure you don’t lose. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Wor’Jackie said:

Call me crazy, but I think we can get something from Norwich. They’re having a terrible time with injuries and suspension and have just started to wobble form wise. A smash and grab is a real possibility.

if we can take advantage of that it’s a great spring board for those next ten ‘easier’ games.

With Pulis in charge now I would agree with you,  but feel it depends on the options he’ll have in midfield. Without Luongo, Shaw and probably Bannan, it will be tough.  But I expect we will pack the midfield with hard workers and stick Windass up top and hopefully that will be enough to get another decent point

I'm literally waiting on the sidelines, primed to jump down everyone's throats with a "nah nah I told you so, Pulis was a crap appointment"

That said, it is far too early to tell in any regard, yet alone give a grading. Needs at least another 3/4 games before you can make any sort of reasonable early judgement call.

We've all seen some good and some bad... we need a bit more time to figure out if it's just statistical "noise" or whether it's part and parcel of what we can expect 

I’m a bit torn. I was really against Pulis coming in but he has impressed me. We’re definitely a lot more organised, mentally strong and just seem to have a general identity all ready, even if it’s a defensive gritty identity. I’ve now come round to Pulis being a good manager in time. A few decent additions to the squad and we’ll fly up the league, so long term Pulis will hopefully be a better manager for us than Monk. But it’s easy to get distracted by that and fall into the trap of doing what football fans do and get blindsided by optimism. How we have set up has made us hard to beat, but it’s also made it hard for us to get 3 points. Monks team was inconsistent and that was the very problem but I can’t help feeling we might have got a rogue win somewhere out of the 4 games. That’s exactly what this wednesday team did under Monk, get a result when you where least expecting it. It’ll be wins that keep us up and that’s what Pulis needs to start doing otherwise we will go down.

9 hours ago, OWLS about that? said:

I'd agree with that, we look a lot more solid in defence but it's just a case of not having a clue where the goals are going to come from. 

We need to stay solid and not give late goals away. Nick a couple of wins this month, and be very quick to add two new strikers in early jan, Pulis has to convince DC to be prompt and not lose another month waiting for the end of Jan 

• Like 1

I will give him an A because he has achieved the initial objective of organising the squad and making Wednesday difficult to beat.

The next task between now and the end of February is to get this club out of the relegation dog fight. So we can start to plan for 21/22 knowing which division we are in as we we early as possible.

He's knows his stuff I am confident that we will stay up.

1 hour ago, Wor’Jackie said:

Call me crazy, but I think we can get something from Norwich. They’re having a terrible time with injuries and suspension and have just started to wobble form wise. A smash and grab is a real possibility.

if we can take advantage of that it’s a great spring board for those next ten ‘easier’ games.

Luton beat them. We beat Bournemouth. Any team in this division can beat any team. None of them are invincible. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PEARSON said:

I’m a bit torn. I was really against Pulis coming in but he has impressed me. We’re definitely a lot more organised, mentally strong and just seem to have a general identity all ready, even if it’s a defensive gritty identity. I’ve now come round to Pulis being a good manager in time. A few decent additions to the squad and we’ll fly up the league, so long term Pulis will hopefully be a better manager for us than Monk. But it’s easy to get distracted by that and fall into the trap of doing what football fans do and get blindsided by optimism. How we have set up has made us hard to beat, but it’s also made it hard for us to get 3 points. Monks team was inconsistent and that was the very problem but I can’t help feeling we might have got a rogue win somewhere out of the 4 games. That’s exactly what this wednesday team did under Monk, get a result when you where least expecting it. It’ll be wins that keep us up and that’s what Pulis needs to start doing otherwise we will go down.

Excellent overview. Can't disagree with any of that.

Reading this thread, it seems to me that people are marking Pulis based on results and form rather than the mans performance.

It's an A- from me. OK, the results haven't been great, but as mentioned above we're better organised, more resilient, more difficult to beat and appear to be working to a plan that the players understand and buy into. He's not overcomplicating things and players are being used to their strengths. That's exactly what was expected of Pulis in the short term and he has delivered. I would also add that the man comes across as smart. The way he changed things round at half time yesterday was impressive.

I think he, as manager, has performed well in his short time with us, and has to be cut some slack for the limited quality of the squad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ANDY said:

B+

unlike Monk, Pulis seems to have back up plans. 

I don’t think we would have won any of the last 4 games if GM was still at the helm. 

we’re hamstrung at the moment with an impotent strike force. So we have to cut our cloth accordingly. If you can’t win, make sure you don’t lose. 

We haven't won any with Pulis in charge either.

Jurys out for me, not seeing anything that makes me think we are moving in a different direction than what we were. The new manager honeymoon period certainly hasn't kicked in yet, if it has, then dear me.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, it's what happened before his arrival which has got us in the brown stuff.

And such a team of turds isn't suddenly going to be beating the best teams in the league.

Pulis is doing what he can with the players that he has.

Monk's ravaged us and it will take time to put it right.

monk s ravaged us??  really?....people still think its monks fault?.

• Like 1

TP is no upgrade on the previous manager.  He will, of course, be much more forgiven for goalkeeper mistakes, a bad squad missing a good striker, Van Aken and his clown feet.  He will be excused for not winning as they are not 'his' players.  He is much better at interviews than Monk so will be praised for his honesty.  

• Like 2

Just now, mcmigo said:

TP is no upgrade on the previous manager.  He will, of course, be much more forgiven for goalkeeper mistakes, a bad squad missing a good striker, Van Aken and his clown feet.  He will be excused for not winning as they are not 'his' players.  He is much better at interviews than Monk so will be praised for his honesty.  

To be fair it’s completely not his squad.