4 games in, how's he doing

9 minutes ago, prowl said:

I crave a competetive side that will take the game to the opposition and play football in their half but that isn't realistic now.

This will never happen under Pulis.He simply does not set his sides up that way regardless of the players at his disposal.

Even when he had the likes of Braithwaite (scoring a hattrick for Barca last night), Traore and Bamford in his squad he still stuck 10 men behind the ball and tried to nick 1 -0 wins. 

That is simply the way he approaches the game.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

the recruitment team

Last nights starting XI - lets look at how much 'crap Garry monk left him' were involved.

Wildsmith

Lees

Palmer

Van Aken

Borner

Harris

Bannan

Shaw

Reach

Luongo

Paterson.

A grand total of 1 Monk buy out of 11 - who happened to score our only goal.

Its amazing the blindness of our fans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The question to yourself is then

How long does Pulis have before you get angry at us not winning games?

By that I mean that there is clearly a period of time needed to adjust, settle in, make changes and improve

How long should that take?

Its an even more important question given that he’s not had the new manager bounce that every other manager brings to their new club.

A lot longer than 4 games.

Monk wasn't perfect but it would have been unfair to push to sack him at the end of last season until he had a chance to bring in some of his own players. I can only suggest we offer the same to Pulis. For my money he gets to the end of the season unless we completely fall to pieces. Ideally i'd like to give managers a couple of seasons but accept that won't happen in the current climate.

Whatever, 4 games is a stupidly short time to decide if a manager is good enough. I know you weren't in favour of his appointment but give the guy a chance.

Just now, mcmigo said:

Last nights starting XI - lets look at how much 'crap Garry monk left him' were involved.

Wildsmith

Lees

Palmer

Van Aken

Borner

Harris

Bannan

Shaw

Reach

Luongo

Paterson.

A grand total of 1 Monk buy out of 11 - who happened to score our only goal.

Its amazing the blindness of our fans.

I think that proves the opposite point that you are trying to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Too early to tell, but against Swansea I thought we looked credible, and it's possible that a couple of attacking additions would make the difference, and last night was heartening in terms of mental toughness and work rate. Mind slightly boggled by how unrecognisable Joao is as a player.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prowl said:

A lot longer than 4 games.

Monk wasn't perfect but it would have been unfair to push to sack him at the end of last season until he had a chance to bring in some of his own players. I can only suggest we offer the same to Pulis. For my money he gets to the end of the season unless we completely fall to pieces. Ideally i'd like to give managers a couple of seasons but accept that won't happen in the current climate.

Whatever, 4 games is a stupidly short time to decide if a manager is good enough. I know you weren't in favour of his appointment but give the guy a chance.

Stop trying to make it personal 

Tell us - in your opinion - how many games does Pulis get to settle in before any criticism is justified?

Owlstalk Shop

without a doubt we are better with pulis. its not his fault he has inherited a mess down to very poor managers over the past 4-5 years and a joke of a recruitment system as well as the poorest u23 u18 set up within 100miles who are bottom of there own leagues. none of this should be happening but it has and hopefully pulis will make the changes needed and also allow him to get the youth system sorted and maybe bring 1-2 in with good contacts to get that much improved. 

10 minutes ago, markowl said:

Did the recruitment team bring in the players Bruce signed?

I don't think they did, which gives me hope Pulis will bring in his own players.

all of those wonderful players the saintly Bruce recruited played last night.

yet again we didnt win - the fourth time under Tony Pulis we have failed to win.

Thankfully the one player who was picked to start who Monk signed scored a goal to save us from another goalless defeat under Tony Pulis.

I'd give him a non-committal C. The players showed spirit last night - admittedly that first pen so early in the 2nd half could have changed things hugely - but the sendings off make it hard to judge 2 of his games. His defensive tendencies will be naturally exaggerated  by being a man down. It can be a cop out as it allows for total concentration on defence but with this team it's hard to see what else he could have done. 

I don't necessarily buy the hard games excuse. Anyone can genuinely beat anyone in this division. Luton beat Norwich. We beat Bournemouth. We shouldn't be going into games with the sole aim of not getting hammered. I didn't like the fact that we were just sitting there waiting for Reading to attack us - even at 11 v 1. I'm not sure we'll be able to maintain that stance with fans in the ground - but it's early days. 

• Like 2

He has us very organised and we look much more of a battling team. Point return is very poor though, all be it from some tough games. We have to start winning games. After Norwich who have a lot of injuries we have some winnable games, we have to get some back to back wins together. 

• Love 2

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

I'd give him a non-committal C. The players showed spirit last night - admittedly that first pen so early in the 2nd half could have changed things hugely - but the sendings off make it hard to judge 2 of his games. His defensive tendencies will be naturally exaggerated  by being a man down. It can be a cop out as it allows for total concentration on defence but with this team it's hard to see what else he could have done. 

I don't necessarily buy the hard games excuse. Anyone can genuinely beat anyone in this division. Luton beat Norwich. We beat Bournemouth. We shouldn't be going into games with the sole aim of not getting hammered. I didn't like the fact that we were just sitting there waiting for Reading to attack us - even at 11 v 1. I'm not sure we'll be able to maintain that stance with fans in the ground - but it's early days. 

11v11!

3 minutes ago, WC1Owl said:

Too early to tell, but against Swansea I thought we looked credible, and it's possible that a couple of attacking additions would make the difference, and last night was heartening in terms of mental toughness and work rate. Mind slightly boggled by how unrecognisable Joao is as a player.

Yes, Swansea was a decent performance, we passed the ball, went forward and put a good side under pressure, in the first half anyway. The rest has been poor, extremely poor, especially for a side needs wins

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

all of those wonderful players the saintly Bruce recruited played last night.

yet again we didnt win - the fourth time under Tony Pulis we have failed to win.

Thankfully the one player who was picked to start who Monk signed scored a goal to save us from another goalless defeat under Tony Pulis.

How can you defend a manager who lets 4 strikers leave the club and replaces them with 1 striker, 1 attacking midfielder and 1 utility player?