4 games in, how's he doing

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Trying to get through to the January window by defending and going for draws will use up so many valuable games 

We need wins and fast

Time's running out

Fixtures to 4th Jan (transfer window opening)

Norwich (away)

Huddersfield (away)

Barnsley (home)

Forrest (away)

Coventry (home)

Blackburn (away)

Middlesborough (home)

Derby (away)

24 available points. 5 games against bottom half clubs.

Reasonable target to be out of bottom three as we get to 4th Jan?

or would just being a couple of results away from 21st be fine? And cross our fingers the transfer window is a success?

I’ve given Tony a B so far. For him to keep it I want us to be out of the bottom three by Jan 4th.

I want to go back to Hilsborough to cheer us on to a mid table finish. But if it has to be a relegation scrap I’ll be there anyway...

So 21 available points. 

• Thanks 1

I would mark him a B

You have to look at the state we we're in when he took over, Players like Borner, Harris and Reach looking like Sunday league players now looking like the championship players they are.

The team that looked fragile and couldn't withstand pressure, now look solid and resolute.

This squad is really poor and is far worse than the squad we had at this time last season, he is basically working with hardly any decent tools

Despite playing half the games with only 10 men he is well on the way to making us a team that is difficult to beat.

Over the next few weeks and in particular after January I would expect us to become more effective going forward.

11 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

That’s exactly what you’re doing! Picking a selection of results (his last 2 games)

Is being a WUM the nee craze? Because none of you would be saying this if we were talking about Wednesday in a pub. It would all be that monks poo and we’re glad to get rid, Pulis will have us more solid etc 

I would say exactly the same as I have said on this board in the pub.

The squad is poor due to budget constraints and the difficulty in attracting players to a club with a points deduction.  Monk set out to play solid , defensive football as a result. Largely that is the football we played this season under Monk.  As I have said, apart from one very poor week we were largely fulfilling the brief under Monk for this season.  But we were poor at goalscoring, no question, albeit our chance creation was not bad (see Millwall stats for example).

We then make the absolutely bizarre decision to appoint a manager who improves teams defending but is notorious for lack of goals and chance creation - the absolute opposite of what we needed.  As I said at the time he was appointed - we have championship standard defenders and goalies who will make at least a mistake a game, and that has played out with red cards, goalie howlers and the marking last night.  So we will generally always concede a goal.  nothing pulis can do about that.  So we needed a coach who could help us score more to win games, and so we appoint Tony Pulis!

Honestly - I am convinced he will relegate us.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Fixtures to 4th Jan (transfer window opening)

Norwich (away)

Huddersfield (away)

Barnsley (home)

Forrest (away)

Coventry (home)

Blackburn (away)

Middlesborough (home)

Derby (away)

24 available points. 5 games against bottom half clubs.

Reasonable target to be out of bottom three as we get to 4th Jan?

or would just being a couple of results away from 21st be fine? And cross our fingers the transfer window is a success?

I’ve given Tony a B so far. For him to keep it I want us to be out of the bottom three by Jan 4th.

I want to go back to Hilsborough to cheer us on to a mid table finish. But if it has to be a relegation scrap I’ll be there anyway...

So 21 available points. 

Im expecting 7 points from those games 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I'm satisfied by how Pulis is doing.

Very early days, probably too early to make any definite assessment. The squad is poor and we didn't look like we had any stomach for a fight under Monk. The losses to three teams expected to be in the relegation places at the end of the season was a serious concern. Now we have organisation and a willingness to battle. I accept there was an element of luck in last nights result but I did like the spirit of the team.

Pulis hasn't had much time to work with the squad and I don't think he's decided what his best team is at this stage. We all know we lack teeth up front, that is down to Monk, so expecting a load of goals is unrealistic. Battling performances and draws are as much as we can expect against good sides,  if we can pick up the odd win here or there against middle of the table sides and those around us then that will do until the next window.

I crave a competetive side that will take the game to the opposition and play football in their half but that isn't realistic now.

I think we are doing ok considering the limitations. I do like the fact that Pulis makes sensible substitutions and isn't afraid to replace players who are having a mare. Palmer last night is a prime example and Rhodes the game before.

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

I'm satisfied by how Pulis is doing.

Very early days, probably too early to make any definite assessment. The squad is poor and we didn't look like we had any stomach for a fight under Monk. The losses to three teams expected to be in the relegation places at the end of the season was a serious concern. Now we have organisation and a willingness to battle. I accept there was an element of luck in last nights result but I did like the spirit of the team.

Pulis hasn't had much time to work with the squad and I don't think he's decided what his best team is at this stage. We all know we lack teeth up front, that is down to Monk, so expecting a load of goals is unrealistic. Battling performances and draws are as much as we can expect against good sides,  if we can pick up the odd win here or there against middle of the table sides and those around us then that will do until the next window.

I crave a competetive side that will take the game to the opposition and play football in their half but that isn't realistic now.

I think we are doing ok considering the limitations. I do like the fact that Pulis makes sensible substitutions and isn't afraid to replace players who are having a mare. Palmer last night is a prime example and Rhodes the game before.

The question to yourself is then

How long does Pulis have before you get angry at us not winning games?

By that I mean that there is clearly a period of time needed to adjust, settle in, make changes and improve

How long should that take?

Its an even more important question given that he’s not had the new manager bounce that every other manager brings to their new club.

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I would say exactly the same as I have said on this board in the pub.

The squad is poor due to budget constraints and the difficulty in attracting players to a club with a points deduction.  Monk set out to play solid , defensive football as a result. Largely that is the football we played this season under Monk.  As I have said, apart from one very poor week we were largely fulfilling the brief under Monk for this season.  But we were poor at goalscoring, no question, albeit our chance creation was not bad (see Millwall stats for example).

We then make the absolutely bizarre decision to appoint a manager who improves teams defending but is notorious for lack of goals and chance creation - the absolute opposite of what we needed.  As I said at the time he was appointed - we have championship standard defenders and goalies who will make at least a mistake a game, and that has played out with red cards, goalie howlers and the marking last night.  So we will generally always concede a goal.  nothing pulis can do about that.  So we needed a coach who could help us score more to win games, and so we appoint Tony Pulis!

Honestly - I am convinced he will relegate us.

I said, following his appointment, he will be our Jordan Rhodes managerial appointment. A manager so out of touch with the way the game is evolving, and who’s only contribution is to try and shut up shop, and hope for the best. There was only one side trying to win that game last night

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The question to yourself is then

How long does Pulis have before you get angry at us not winning games?

By that I mean that there is clearly a period of time needed to adjust, settle in, make changes and improve

How long should that take?

Its an even more important question given that he’s not had the new manager bounce that every other manager brings to their new club.

At least as long as Monk had, so two transfer windows minimum.