Tony Pulis Post Match Comments

11 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Without iorfa and harris the team has no pace at all. Then being down to 10 men after 15 mins was just what we didn't need. Rest of game became a shambles as for TP getting to see the teams shape and performance levels. The game was going to be just holding on. Although we could have comfortably drawn if KW was not as rusty. I didnt see the urgency in bringing KW straight back in to the team without a few warm up  games or even some training. Wildsmith has been OK. Dawson may have responded to a new manager. Ultimately TP decision to put K\W straight in team probably cost us a point. Also gives CD and JW a big confidence knock.

Cant make my mind up if we have a terrible discipline record because of referees or genuine poor discipline. nI leaning towards bad refereeing. The Lees sending off was slightly worse than todays. A booking would have been the correct result from the challenge.

New managers cant work miracles. Players dont suddenly improve over night. Monk biggest problem was recruitment. Toady showed why TP needs to put this right in January or we could get stuck in a really bad rut.

image.png.ca74220c92aa4331840aece46665ef96.png

16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

On Jack Marriott - Jack’s back at Derby. We think it’s long term. I think it’s his calf, but whatever it is we don’t see him for six or seven weeks.

Hope we don’t  see him at all. 

Edited by fatzooma
  • Like 1

Must admit when I heard he’d 'slipped' I thought oh that’s bad luck on your come back. Then I watched it and saw there was no slip whatsoever, just a bad punch out. We know TP went out on a limb when he said if available he would pick him, but it seemed like a huge risk to me. Surely he should have give him a week or two to impress in some sort of competitive football before flinging him back in to championship matches. I assume he will play against Swansea so let’s hope his rustiness wears off quickly. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Without iorfa and harris the team has no pace at all. Then being down to 10 men after 15 mins was just what we didn't need. Rest of game became a shambles as for TP getting to see the teams shape and performance levels. The game was going to be just holding on. Although we could have comfortably drawn if KW was not as rusty. I didnt see the urgency in bringing KW straight back in to the team without a few warm up  games or even some training. Wildsmith has been OK. Dawson may have responded to a new manager. Ultimately TP decision to put K\W straight in team probably cost us a point. Also gives CD and JW a big confidence knock.

Cant make my mind up if we have a terrible discipline record because of referees or genuine poor discipline. nI leaning towards bad refereeing. The Lees sending off was slightly worse than todays. A booking would have been the correct result from the challenge.

New managers cant work miracles. Players dont suddenly improve over night. Monk biggest problem was recruitment. Toady showed why TP needs to put this right in January or we could get stuck in a really bad rut.

None of our players are what I'd consider dirty players including the ones sent off. It was a daft challenge yesterday, stupid rather than malicious but difficult to argue with the card. If a ref sees a boot up that high he has to act, he doesn't look at motive just the action.

I still laugh about Loovens having the nads off that player and getting away with it.

Overall my comments are:

Tony Pulis said many things, predominantly which were statements of the bleeding obvious.

This is why Garry Monk would have said the same things. Because they were obvious things that basically everyone would say. Don’t think it matters much what Garry would have said though. Because he isn’t manager here now. 
The sending off made it impossible for me to really judge the game or what Tony’s plan actually is. 
What I can say with some confidence is that our players predominantly are not very good. 
The sending off was one of those things. If you put yourself in a position where you could be sent off the ref has a decision to make. He made the decision to send the player off. Which was fair enough.
To be fair though JVA could also have been sent off. 
Goals (or lack thereof) are as ever the big problem. Not having decent strikers is a problem. Even bigger problem is the lack of chances created. Bannan was awful. Especially on corners. Corners should be something for the strikers to have a go at. Not something that hits the defenders knee. 
I though dropping Westwood into the team cold was a potential problem. 
But, slip or no slip it was unlucky that the only bit of skill showed by any player on the day was the decent volley by their player to score. On most other occasions they probably wouldn’t score that shot and then no one would have been talking about the error. But he did make an error. Which I thought he might, having been dropped into the match cold. 
To be honest though I think Preston could have turned up the tempo had they need to and even if they hadn’t scored then they would have probably have beaten us anyway.

All in all a rubbish afternoon after a long wait for a game. 
But at least the next game is midweek so we can have another chance to see what Mr Pulis has to offer. 
Good luck Tony!

This is what happens when you buy several players who have failed elsewhere.... better to buy a couple of better strikers than several never has beens.... poor management of the club yet again. (Never mind employing a manager most don't want) 

Mr C doesn't like negativity I know but he's so good at creating it (unfortunately) I did back him until Pulis btw hoped he could learn..... 

19 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's like Morrissey and eating meat - he just doesn't participate in it

lol

Pulis will not tolerate players who nesh a tackle. 

It was quite clear in the summer window that there are no excessive amounts of money available. The promising young players from L1 already cost too much for us, that's why we have scraped the freebies barrel to just try to get a full squad at least for the seniors. Our recruitment staff are not stupid, more like restricted by resources at the moment.

Thought Wildsmith was unfortunate not to play yesterday having kept two clean sheets coupled with Westwood's likely rustiness and lack of competitive football. Can't have done Wildsmith's confidence much good either, having done well but still dropped.

Windass did nobody any favours either, forcing us to play three quarters of the game with 10 men at the start of a nine game spell in twenty nine days. Deserves to be fined for his utterly stupid tackle.

Just seen the match highlights. Massive slip before Westwood punched the ball out. Highly likely wasn't positioned/set to catch it properly. Made a quick decision to just get the ball away. 50/50 call on this, but can understand it in the moment. Probably should have had a go a catching it but, when things happen fast, getting the ball away from the goal is the priority. 

Not as bad as people make out IMHO.

23 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

On Paterson playing in Midfield

You have got Massimo who is quite happy to hold and play with the two centre-backs.

Paterson can score a goal from midfield.

I think Paterson arriving late is as dangerous as anyone in the Championship but everything went out of the window after the red card.

Not as dangerous as Windass arriving late and high